RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 4.6 hse so I assume it only has traction control on the rear axle. As I understand from reading this site the traction control operates through the ABS. Is there any way to upgrade to front and rear traction control by getting my hands on a late model abs set up or is this simply not doable?

Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
I remember there were some discussions about this in the past...

Things I know for sure: abs modulator block changed, ABS ECU changed (also different connectors, before 99 one connector, after 99 three connectors) and the front diff was changed from 2 pin to 4 pin to handle the extra load from the traction control.

While this might be doable (but certainly unaffordable with new parts, so a parts donor would be the only option) there might be another problem:

The ABS is connected to the engine ECU (rough road signal for example, don't know if it transmits any other signals) and the communications between gearbox and engine ECU were changed to CAN bus, so if the ABS ECU is somehow tied into the CAN bus/uses different signal encodings on a Bosch engine you're pretty much screwed...
Does anyone know if there's a difference between pre-Bosch and Bosch ABS communication/signals or do I have to look it up in RAVE myself?

Sigi

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
As already mentioned, with the later ECU and Injection system the language between the ABS/ETC ECU's and the Engine ECU's is completely different. Without swapping nearly every ECU out and also the injection system I don't think this is possible.

Bare in mind that you basically gain 1 extra wheel's worth of traction on a 4 wheel ETC system. You have ETC on the rear to avoid slip, and you still have the limited slip center diff so drive is still split equally between the front and rear. Even if one front wheel ended up in the air, you would loose all drive at the front, but would maintain drive at the rear.

I think the ETC on pre-99 only worked up to 30MPH and the ETC on 99+ was up to 70MPH?

Dan

·
Registered
151 Posts
rogan said:
I have a 96 4.6 hse so I assume it only has traction control on the rear axle. As I understand from reading this site the traction control operates through the ABS. Is there any way to upgrade to front and rear traction control by getting my hands on a late model abs set up or is this simply not doable?

Thanks
Hi Rogan have you thought of locking diffs it could be cheaper, never fitted any myself so not sure on costs but it sounds a lot less complicated than splicing in another loom just too controll the front axle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts