RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 rover classic and had the front break pads replaced about 4 months ago when the red break light came on the dash. My mechanic said they were only slightly worn. Now when I break, the truck shudders and if I hit the break with a little force it makes a big clanking noise. My mechanic said the rotors are worn down and too thin to smooth out so I'll need new ones. Does this sound right? Is this a big $$ repair?
Also,
When I make a sharp right turn (about 90deg), the steering wheel "gets stuck" or ceases up for second then thumps back into steering mode. When this first started to happen, he said that the power steering belt was loose and it was getting stuck (there was some screaming coming from the belts) so he tightened it. That didn't solve the steering ceasing up problem. It only seems to happen in conjunction w/ breaking so I was wondering if the steering and shaky breaks could be connected. Mechanic says they're two separate things.
Thanks for any input.
Paula

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey there. The steering getting stuck is more than likely a separate issue. My guess would be a bad CV joint. (That's basically the u-joint inside the housing, one on each side). That could get expensive I think, but I've never had to change one.. Fairly labor intensive I believe.

dave

·
Registered
523 Posts
PAULA said:
When I make a sharp right turn (about 90deg), the steering wheel "gets stuck" or ceases up for second then thumps back into steering mode. When this first started to happen, he said that the power steering belt was loose and it was getting stuck
I'm really not convinced by your mechanic. I'd find someone else to be honest, someone with Land Rover experience. Finding out why the steering locks should be pretty straightforward once the car's up on a ramp

New brake discs (rotors) are not expensive and well worth doing.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hi Paula,

it would be useful to fill out your profile or let people know roughly in the world where you are and maybe they can recommend a suitable workshop for you.

What Danny says is on the money. You need to find a decent workshop, brake and steering problems are not to be taken lightly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I've updated my profile (Monmouth County, New Jersey). I like my mechanic and I think he's honest but he's not used to working on Rovers so that's why I sometimes question his opinions. Will look for someone who works on Rovers.
Paula

·
Registered
34 Posts
if the brakes shutter, it'd be a good idea to change the rotors. It's no much more work to get to the CV joints from there so it would be worth while to check them out. My guess of the steering binding is the actualy steer column/steering shaft. It sounds like one of the joints in the shaft is worn out and binding. Any competent rover mechanic should be able to handle both of these issues rather quickly and economically.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts