RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i recently installed a 2nd battery set up in my boot of my 2011 rr vogue se. Im now after recommendations as to which battery to fit. Because im putting the battery in the cubby hole ob the fhs by fuse box it needs to be approx
Sized 300mm l max
175 w x 175 h.
Do i put in a small leisure ( deep cycle ) or just a standard battery. All replies appreciated. Dave

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
238 Posts
Not sure what you'll be using (or needing) a second battery for, but you might as well go big and install the largest that will fit. You can consult a battery fitment guide for that. Google "battery replacement data book 2013."

Presumably you'd use a standard automotive battery such as that under the bonnet. Deep cycle batteries (I have one in my caravan) are suited for frequent deep draining and corresponding recharging. If you'll be treating this battery the same way you'll be using the bonnet battery, you might as well get a standard type and save money. If you won't routinely drain it, you won't be getting any of the deep cycle benefits you're paying extra for. Standard batteries are also better suited for "I need a lot of power RIGHT NOW," as in a starter motor turning. If you can't make up your mind, perhaps you can get a "marine" battery, which appear to be a hybrid middle ground type, intended to run boat lights and water pumps (like a caravan) AND start the boat engine. It seems that each battery type has strengths, weaknesses, and compromises, so use the type that best suits your intended use.

But at the end of the day, they all put out the same 12 volts of juice. Except in Australia, where they generate -12 volts due to Christmas happening in summer. Or something like that. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate your thoughts, heres an example ...sat in the car engine off , i put radio on for about 2 mins up pops 'please start engine low battery ' then shuts down this is even after a long run with charger showing 14.4 volts whilst driving. Battery shows charged. New battery aswell. 2nd battery to take up the slack hopefully. Dave

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
238 Posts
Sounds possibly like some sort of battery parasitic drain you'll want to track down, rather than add another battery. There's several common drain sources on the L322s (search the forum), but it also could be any random 9 year old component going bad.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have ordered a 2nd battery kit of luxury land rovers. His name is luke cooper, he advertises on here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts