RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this chip/software download on thier supercharged sport? It is all over Ebay.
$9.00 plus shipping by itself is scary.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Its just a transisitor. There all the same, type in a random car name and "chip" and something will come up. Dont waste the time or money! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Well my chip arrived today!

That was quick, just ordered it Monday morning. Anyway, thanks for the heads up on this Drew55! Heading down to Home Depot at 9am to buy a soldering gun and some flux. Taking the day off from work so I can do this. The instructions are in Chinese or maybe Korean but between Babelfish and my IT guy at work (he's Chinese but he also knows some Korean guys) we should be able to figure this out.

Will post pics and a review shortly.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
It's almost 6 pm in New Jersey, methinks poor goosey misread the Chinese directions and blew himself and his soldering gun up in a blaze of glory. :crybaby2:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Ni hao everyone,
So Leung (he goes by Larry in English) and I spent most of the day getting this thing wired up. Here's a picture of what it looked like at one point during the day :shock:

But we ended getting it back together by the end of the day in time for the big test drive. First thing I noticed was...well... nothing :cry: Bottom line, as the Brits would say, for $9 + postage and handling I think I've been snookered. So I can't recommend this mod to anyone. On the plus side, I have a (almost) brand new soldering gun and got invited over to Larry's for Dim Sum on Sunday.

P.S. I know the more observant on this board will say the engine bay in the picture does not look like the RRS, but I've been modding it quite a bit since I bought it and that's what it looks like now.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I see the problem! That black and white wire down between the alternator and the air intake looks like you connected it to Das Kulink mit Schlippenundshaken when it should go to Die Dippenuntdazzel Eiblinden. And it should not be soldered to Der Bananwaltzen but have been crimped to Dast Fukkennearenschitzenselfen. Sorry, since I had so many VW's in my younger days I don't know the English translation. But that should do it!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,461 Posts
Ok...I vote this be stickied immediately for all newcomers under FAQ's...and hereby nominate it for the funniest thread of FY09...

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Ok...I vote this be stickied immediately for all newcomers under FAQ's...and hereby nominate it for the funniest thread of FY09...
Why? THe newbies never read the FAQs and wouldn't find it in search because they don't use that either! :lol:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,461 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
PJPR01 said:
Why? THe newbies never read the FAQs and wouldn't find it in search because they don't use that either! :lol:
Ouch...funny and true at the same time! Here's a second nomination!!! :D :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please dont make me an example in FAQ.

I am a newbie and it was probably a stupid question, but I did a search and didn't find the answer, so I asked. I do get some credit for that, don't I?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Re: Please dont make me an example in FAQ.

DrewT55 said:
I am a newbie and it was probably a stupid question, but I did a search and didn't find the answer, so I asked. I do get some credit for that, don't I?
In my book you get credit for searching, but step back a minute and think about the big picture:

1. The chip is advertised for a 1990-2009 Range Rover Sport
2. The chip costs $9 and advertises a 50 hp gain and 15 mpg improvement

Plus, as you can see, the install is not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Besides the install, which I didnt know anything about, I was just asking if anyone knew anything about it. The price by itself scared me but I fugured, why not ask.
I have chipped or done software reprograming on a number of cars. THe price's have ranged from $18.00 for an Acura NSX to $2,700. for a BMW M5. The basic program for the Acura was really just advancing the timing, which I think could add some horsepower and throttle response to the Sport Supercharged.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,461 Posts
No harm, no foul...all in good humour!

:D :D

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Re: Please dont make me an example in FAQ.

gooseyloosey said:
Plus, as you can see, the install is not for the faint of heart.
Clearly the install alone is more than enough to negate the 50HP increase. If you want 50HP the easy way, get one of those ionizing fuel line magnets.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PJPR01 said:
No harm, no foul...all in good humour!

:D :D
I took it that way. I just figured with the 50 horsepower from this chip and the 50 horsepower I get from the Tornadoair I would have the same horsepower as the new 2010 RRS Supercharged and all for less than $100.00. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts