RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but thought I would ask. is anyone running this size on their RRSC? Factory 20" wheels, and I have a line on a set of 285/55r/20 in BFG AT's to replace the crapy conti's. I can do a small computer lift if nessesary as I have a faultmate... Anyone know?

thanks all!

Blair
06 RRSC

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
Won't rub...it's fine.

I use 'em w/ the factory stormers originally released w/ the RRS SC, which are 9.5", so they are plenty wide, and are far from rubbing.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
OOPS, I'm sorry I use 285/50/R20s. :oops:
I apologise.
But it should fit without rubbing (given the ample space from the wheel well in mine- at least 4-5"), but the point about your speedo being off is def true.
Mine is off by 1-2mph, well w/in the normal

FYI, I know guys running 295/40, & 295/45 w/o any problems and they don't feel the speedo offset is that huge a deal.

On my Land Cruiser, I changed the tire size >5% (~10% actually) & although the speedo was off by a good 5-8mph, the ride & look were improved and made it worth it.

Just food for thought.

I'm all about more meat on my baby, even if it's going slower than I think, or my nav tells me I got there a few seconds earlier (the GPS will help correct the offset)

·
Registered
543 Posts
BC.

Firstly what width 20" wheels have you got fitted to your FFRR ? Those tyres would ideally suit a 20"x10" rim, preferably aftermarket and forged in nature dude !

The computer lift should not be necessary and rubbing will be non-existent, as long as you have an idea of the current OEM wheels bolted to your rude for fitment.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,

thanks for the replys! I have the stock 06 SC wheels, so I think they are 9.5" wide.

If the spedo being out is the only issue, can I recalibrate that with the faultmate?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Stock FFRR 20" wheels are not 9.5. (I think 8.5")
That's why I switched to the RRS SC wheels which are.

Suerte y paz

AL

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been thinking exactly the same question. I'm currently running 285 50 20 cooper ltz. The 55 is only an inch taller and that's only half an inch at top and half at the bottom I used to run bfg a/t 18 inch at the time I didn't know bfg made a 20 inch tyre. I would have to export some from U.S as they are not available in UK. My only concern would be how close the tyre would be to the front strut as mine is quite close already.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Do the Cooper 285/50/20 LTZ change the speedometer reading or create any problems?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Orgy.

The wheel is the first point of interest to ensure the tyre will sit flatter on a wider rim, rather than bulge the sidewalls and conflict with any suspension hardware ?

Normally wheel experts chose an aftermarket rim with a slightly different offset to provide more room in the front wheelwell, which means a tyre sits further out !

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The tyre size converter earlier in the thread says a wheel of between 8 an 10 inch is ok so standard wheel width should be fine. The ltz 's are a bit noisier than standard Tyres. Speedo is more accurate as it read over to start with(most cars do). I had the Tyres fitted on supercharger wheels originally but needed 5 mm wheel spacers to clear the front struts. I now have 2010 20 inch standard wheels which seem to have more offset as I don't need the spacers anymore. If you view my other posts there are a few pics.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yeah Orgy.

I checked the BFG site for their tyre specifications and they measured their 285/55SR20 rubber an a 9" wide size rim which results in their height of 32.5 inches !

The supercharged version FFRR wheels for European markets came standard with OEM 20"x8.5" wheels, which after mounting LTZ's resulted in clearance issues ?

Later MY2010 factory 20"x9.5" FFRR wheels are now obviously wider, which would mean your tyres would sit further out towards the fender and not need spacers.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
101 Posts
ive just measured both old and new wheels. 2010 wheels have tyres on so i can only measure outer width of rim. old supercharger rim is 9.5 inch wide (outside edge to outside edge) and 2010 wheels are 10 inch wide. I guess this shows new wheel is half inch wider. i think the 2010 wheel has a greater offset.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
I'm running 275/55R20 now, and there was a bit of rubbing on the rear-right side wheel well, but that has since largely disappeared with some melting/remolding of the plastic. I used to have 32.6" 275/65R18s and they also rubbed in the front wheel wells at full lock.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Found out that the 2010 wheel I have is also available as a optional extra on disco 4 so must have more offset as all disco 3/4 and rrover sport need more offset.think it's only a few mm but must be enough to clear struts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts