RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
285 50 20 tire setup still work on a redbourne wheel? (Offset diff than oem)

I'm about to buy some terra grapplers to replace my coopers that I currently have on my 20" Saxon wheels that have a 32mm offset. I've seen many people running 285 50 20 on oem wheels that are I believe 53 offset. Will I still be able to run this tire on my redbourne wheels regardless in the difference of offset? Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 285 50 20 tire setup still work on a redbourne wheel? (Offset diff than oem)

thanks but really didn't see what i was looking for, Im just trying to make sure i won't have any rubbing of the front suspension due to the difference in offset the stock stormers 57 and my saxon wheels that are 33 offset

thanks!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Re: 285 50 20 tire setup still work on a redbourne wheel? (Offset diff than oem)

Assuming the wheel width is the same, a 33 offset runs closer to the suspension than the 57,

tech-offset-image2.jpg

and the difference is about 1", so if you are just clearing now ...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Assuming the wheel width is the same, a 33 offset runs closer to the suspension than the 57,

View attachment 31522

and the difference is about 1", so if you are just clearing now ...
i remember reading how people running that tire size on stormer wheels were very close to hitting some part of the suspension, so i guess with the offset i have on now its a no go :sad:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

photo 1-6.jpg photo 2-7.jpg

this is the space i have from the front strut which is where most people tend to rub on when running 285 50 20, do i have enough space to fit the 285 50?, also i feel as if my wheels tend to be more flush with the fender rather sit closer inside the wheel wells like the stock stormers but not sure if a lower off set means more in flush with the fender or closer to the suspension :-|

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 6.16.23 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 6.16.38 PM.png

so assuming i plugged in the right info, it seems the wheels will give me more room towards the suspicion however do you think it might stick out to far past the fenders? it says about .9" is that way to much

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts

I'd be concerned with the tire edges possibly rubbing against well liners and fender arches when steering at normal or access height and/or under full compression, as a result of the rim being "pushed out" closer to the fenders by about an inch, with a fairly oversized tire around it. The wheel would be further away from that control arm with that type of offset, so that probably shouldn't be your area of concern.

FYI, Overland Journal is currently running an LR4 with 1.25" spacers, 18" OEM rims and 33" (!) A/T tires without any apparent rubbing... But they are lifted 2.5" full time, though.

It would be close, that's for sure.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'd be concerned with the tire edges possibly rubbing against well liners and fender arches when steering at normal or access height and/or under full compression, as a result of the rim being "pushed out" closer to the fenders by about an inch, with a fairly oversized tire around it. The wheel would be further away from that control arm with that type of offset, so that probably shouldn't be your area of concern.

FYI, Overland Journal is currently running an LR4 with 1.25" spacers, 18" OEM rims and 33" (!) A/T tires without any apparent rubbing... But they are lifted 2.5" full time, though.

It would be close, that's for sure.
Thanks for the heads up, it does seem very close, would
Buying a gaap tool and raising the ride height about a half inch be a possible idea? Or should
I just stop trying and stick with 275 45 to play it safe

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

I see I messed up offset again sorry--you guys are correct. :doh:

From that picture if those are 275.45's and you add another 1"-- I think it would look a bit odd sticking out so far, even if it clears at full lock. And you may get more stone damage on the doors and rear panels.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-...ourne-saxons-285-60-18-coopers-installed.html

well based on some research i saw this member who has the 18" saxon wheels that still run a 32 offset did the comparions between his wheel and the 285 50 set up and they were the same so this would be the amount the wheels would stick out, thoughts? would my alignment be all whack with the front wheels out so much? it took the dealer 3 times to get the darn car going straight last week I'm not interested in re living that again

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts

Based on the thread listed above (http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-...15-wheel-tire-diameter-offset-question-2.html), brought flashbacks when I went thru finding the right tire. With the Stormer and 285/50 setup I had minimal clearence, close to 4MM with the suspension. Here is a pic . So I assume you may run into issues with a 32 clearence

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts