RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to report my findings with the new engine and Mark Adams injectors/remap.

I've ran in the engine locally for 500 miles and had the oil changed over. The fuel computer was calculating 21mpg running around on short trips during this time. I never had chance to work it out on paper, but thought that it was higher than usual, but then I was pottering around at low revs breaking the engine in.

Anyway, drained the running in oil out. Lots of small metal in there as you would expect. The FilterMag also held loads of the metal in the filter which was good.

Now I needed the car to get me to Holland, so I've run the car another 500 miles this last week on the new oil on 99% motorways. Been running the cruise control at 110kph/70mph pretty much all the way using the highest octane fuel I can find. Now the fuel computer thinks I'm getting 27.2MPG. :think: It's gone insane finally now it's 15 years old. :lol:

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think you have 1) programmed the BECM into believing you have installed a diesel engine.
2) The MA chips have added a fudge factor to the consumption computer. :lol:
3) Can I buy it please! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tim (Scotland) said:
Have you worked it out on paper yet?
No mate. I'm back the following weekend, so I will try and calculate it on paper then.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Blimey Rich - that is good :thumb:

Did Mark do you at 'mates rates'?

Unfortunately, My car isn't worth a £600 Mark Adams upgrade :shhh:

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark asked me to become a distributor for Mark Adams Developments but I havn't had chance to get any product and/or prices from him yet to put onto the website. The injectors are similar to the Ford Motorsport Bosch ones that are available, but I had to have another pair of chips sent out. As I already had the old set from Mark, the new set came out free of charge, so I ended up paying for 8 injectors - Can't remember the price.

I am wondering how much the Turner gas flowed heads have to do with all this as well.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Interesting....but Im sadly not in favour of add ons but thats just me
So far I have removed 2 sets of Tornado chips from P38s and customers have reported back with no noticable difference in fuel or performance

My 96 on the open road with cruise control set at a touch under 130 kph (to avoid fines) is returning 14L to 14.5L per 100km at one point for around 100ks it went down to 13.5L per 100
The tip is to make sure all is well on the engine side including HT leads, spark plugs and even coil posts being clean.

There again how accurate is the fuel counter system, I havnt really done a real proper test on these yet...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm not certain, but I think the EMS / BECM calculates fuel consumption by the frequency and duration of injector timing. It probably establishes that through feedback from the oxygen sensors in order to maintain the correct air-fuel ratio. It may be that the different injectors push more or less fuel out per pulse than the stock items, and if so the EMS would compensate by reducing or increasing the duration accordingly in order to establish the correct mixture. That said, and if correct, it would report an incorrect amount of consumption.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
allyv8 said:
Rich998a said:
:naughty:
Wassup ? you KNOW you want a tractor really..... :shock:
I thought the 'L Series' diesel was given the codename 'Tractor' by the technicians...

Don't have the patience for an old school diesel, Jon. Can't afford a new Land Rover after this money pit so I think my next car will be a Volvo.

Regarding the Tornado systems stuff, I've noticed a difference every time I've put a set in. But as you say Viper, there is no point putting them in if everything else isn't 100%. I can't honestly see the 27.2mpg being correct, but I wouldn't be upset if I was wrong. :lol:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hi Rich,
i have been interested in the tornado chips for a while now,have emailed MA but got no response.
Really interested to hear what your true consumption is and what performance difference you get.What else did you do to the engine besides rebuild(with tophat liners?).

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
John: Pretty much everything was examined and checked and in most cases replaced. The old engine had a cracked block and eventually lead to head gasket due to lack of coolant. So I purchased a Turner Engineering unit (NOT a new block) with top hat liners, new front cover, new Genuine Part water pump, and a pair of the Turner Engineering gas flowed heads. I was talking to V8Developments about a 5.0 tweeked engine, but decided long term reliability was the main factor when spending this much money.

I needed a new fly wheel as the flex plate had broken up and some of the reluctor wheel had damage due to the metal flying around. New Genuine Part flex plate.

I also needed a new heat shield on one side of the manifold. Then when the old one on the other side was removed, I needed a second one. Then I needed new oil cooler pipes as the rubber was starting to perish.

I was stuill runnning the old Lucas injectors with 175,000 miles on them, so I looked into modified ones to suit the gas flowed heads. Dennis had supply problems with the Ford Motorsport ones so I called Mark one morning and had a chat about all things V8. He has different ones to Dennis, but you need to remap the engine to use them. Mark offered me the chance to officially distribute his performance parts, so if there is anything you need, just call or email me and I will take on the communications.

Essentially, what should have been a 3000GBP straight engine swap ended up just over 5k. That's trade price without labour but including VAT. The idea of a Chevy crate engine isn't that bad once you factor everything in. It's also no wonder P38's end up in the breaker yard.

Then engine is wonderfully smooth now. Much better than the old unit ever was. I'm still running the engine in and so havn't run it in anger yet to see just how well it pulls over 3000rpm.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thought I'd update the forum on progress with the RV8 which I put into the old girl last year.

We finally got around to removing the old inlet trumpets. If you've never seen them, they are very tall and thin metal tubes.

I've installed these carbon fibre inlet trumpets which we sell, and these have made a huge difference at the high end of the rev range, where as before the engine has struggled for air. Power delivery is amazing now, and together with the other performance items, it really is quite something. Also, the thing sounds like a supercharged at the top end.

I've done a run last Thursday up to Deeside in Scotland and averaged just under 25mpg at 70-90mph on the motorway.

Shame the steering and ride is playing up, but hey, it's a p38... :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Rich998a said:
We finally got around to removing the old inlet trumpets. If you've never seen them, they are very tall and thin metal tubes.

I've installed these carbon fibre inlet trumpets which we sell, and these have made a huge difference at the high end of the rev range, where as before the engine has struggled for air. Power delivery is amazing now, and together with the other performance items, it really is quite something. Also, the thing sounds like a supercharged at the top end.
Rich, you got any comparison pics: original vs carbon? One showing them from the side and one from the top?

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You get the pre-cut carbon fibre trumpets, instructions and a packet of the adhesive to put them in. You need to arrange the trumpets first and then when you are satisfied that they are in the correct place, start using the adhesive.

As for price, I can't remember. I will call work on Monday and get them to check it. IIRC, they are around the GBP225 mark including the VAT, although I may be able to discount of RR.net members. One of the items which I've not yet got around to putting on the web shop, along with Stainless Steel Td5 turbo braces and exhaust manifold kits...

I do think you should look at modifying the RV8 heads a little - not stupidly, just a little - to make this worth doing. Must be someone proficient in NZ who can do this, Paul?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts