RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha Everyone. Greetings from Hawaii. Been a lurker to this site for quite awhile and this is my first post. I've recently purchased an 08 RRS (HSE) about 2 months ago and I must say the more I drive it, the more I'm loving it! Anyway, I just recently purchased a set of Thunder wheels (rinspeed replica - purchased online) and brought them to a local shop to have them fitted on my truck (purchasing tires from them). I stated that I wanted 285/35/22 but insisted that I put on 265 instead because of some rubbing issues. Well, to their expertise I had them put them on and for some reason, it just doesn't look right. Is it true that they're be rubbing issues with a 285 with a RRS HSE? Currently the 265 do look a bit stretched. Any input you can provide would be totally appreciated. :) Thank you!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't know any answers to any of your questions but I was curious about the Thunder wheels that you got. How is the quality? Got any pics of them on your car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lakbum: Thank you for your response. The wheels are great. I was quite impressed with the build quality. Here's a few quick pics of it (from my iphone).

lakbum said:
I don't know any answers to any of your questions but I was curious about the Thunder wheels that you got. How is the quality? Got any pics of them on your car?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
If you search the forum you will find that most 22" rim owners here run on 285/35 or even 285/40 (the extra wall is for extra comfort) without any rubbing issues whatsoever on their Sport. It depends on the offset of those rims of course, but I think the shop sold you tires that are too narrow for your wheels, just judging by the pictures you posted above. Watch the curb, as your rims are quite exposed to damage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you umbertob. Your response helps a lot!

umbertob said:
If you search the forum you will find that most 22" rim owners here run on 285/35 or even 285/40 (the extra wall is for extra comfort) without any rubbing issues whatsoever on their Sport. It depends on the offset of those rims of course, but I think the shop sold you tires that are too narrow for your wheels, just judging by the pictures you posted above. Watch the curb, as your rims are quite exposed to damage.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Koguchi Kiyana.

From my experience of 'plus sizing' fitments to various vehicles of mine from over the past 10 years, your reference to the 285/35R22 tyre is correct, but it's the wheels I can see from the photos you attached which could be creating your problem !

The replica 22" rims have a really positive offset, suggesting their designed to fit over Merc's/BMW's that run huge brake packages thereby pushing the wheel further under the guards as can be illustrated from the splayed angle to the Five spokes. Thereby the tyre fitters have identified possible rubbing concerns on the inside of the fenders and narrower tyres are justified.

I've attached alternative high load rated SUV wheels from Speedy in 22"x9.5" which offer a +15ET or +38ET for RRS owners and FFRR drivers, which is the same wheel width as RRS S/C 20" rims allowing a min. 1/2" tyre width either side of the rim width.

Check the markings on the inside of your 22" replica's which has the offset number and we can find a solution from here on ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.[attachment=1:1ki4gvrh]addiction-chrome.jpg[/attachment:1ki4gvrh]

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vinniman: thank you for your input and information. the funny thing is that, they've already said that 285 would rub even before I told the the spec of the rims (other than it being 22's). Prior to getting them, I visited their shop and I just mentioned I wanted to get some 22's and add 285/35/22 and right of the bat they said it would rub.

But good news is that they'll be switching the correct size I originally wanted. BTW: ET +40.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Cool banana's Kiyana.

I thought your replica's were around +40ET, looks similar to my Vauxhall Carlton GSi3000 18"s which are an ET40 for AP calipers.

I've driven a FFRR running 22" rims and your requested tyre size, the turn-in was beautiful & Yokohama's ride on dry pavement was smooth as a baby's behind. Good luck with the tyre shop, just check full steering lock on the front pair for any rubbing too !

Normally no less than 4"s of rubber should be between the pavement and the wheel and a min. 1/2" clearance of rim protector should sit outside both sidewalls to help fend of those pesky kerbs from dinging them spin'n rims counter clockwise Ali G styl'n ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts