RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would post everything on here, rather than on different threads.

So early this summer I bought #02/25 of the last 25 ever built classic range rovers (early 1996) - probably over paid for it at £13,000 but knowing it was one of few, I went through in with deep pockets and the aim to bring it back to "as new".

And only when "as new" it will be handed to my wife and our baby son to be run along side her R107 300SL as a daily Chelsea truck.

Here is the original ad: http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...r/1996/153600/

The "real" 25th anniversary, only produced in RHD, in one unique color combo: Oxford blue and lights one being leather.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mechanically, turned out to be OK, but a good service and changing everything that was dry or could break in the coming miles, the bill turned out to be pretty salty

note: i'll post the details of the invoice later, but so far we have spent over £7,000 to get it mechanically "as new" and for the different body panels that needed replacing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And of course, body wise, it tuned out to have a lot more rust than anticipated...some work had been done in the past, but it must have been done on budget, so we had to start all over again. Chassis, thank god was OK...but the floors, inner wings, etc...a lot had to go. No other way to kill rust, than by cutting and replacing huge bits.

New upper, lower tailgates, rear quarters, front wings, front floors and inner wings.

We are building it to last, whatever needs doing.

Note: Precision is carrying the bodywork, they usually deal more with Porsches and have worked on my 964RS, so I know then can be trusted. Top shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And finally after 6months of parts chasing, cutting, replacing, the paint has started.

More pictures next week, the rest of the body should be done by then and maybe even re-mounted: front bonnet, tailgates and rear doors.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We received a couple days before Christmas a new 11 pieces carpet set - looks really nice and thick (UPS quoted 8kg for the shipping). Re-trim should take place in 2weeks time. Thanks to Rimmerbros for finding someone to re-manufacture a set and at a very decent price, wasn't easy as discontinued, and soft dash which isn't that common.

The reason behind a full re-trim is that if we change one or two pieces then it will look out of place as some would have faded. And cleaning such light coloured carpet wouldn't be perfect, especially the drivers side.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little update: paint is finished, only missing the stripes.

We have just ordered new side mouldings too, as it would look wrong with the old ones...couldn't get them to as new condition.

New carpets from Rimmerbros will be installed this week, as well as new 70-235R16 Michelin Lattitude Cross or Pirelli Scorpion ATR.

Alarm dude is coming early next week and we should be rolling by the end of next week - woohoo! It's only been 6months.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the Rangie back for a quick surf trip and make sure everything already done is alright!

260 miles (London Kimmeridge London), 1 full tank which equates to 13.6mpg...and very happy. Everything works as it should.

Now back at the shop to finish a couple little niggles: roof lining has dropped during its immobilisation, change all front lights, 25th anniversary badges were put back too high on the front wings, finish replacing all the carpets
...and need beige rear door cards as the driver rear side was damaged

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said, I need help with the rear door cards...somehow got damaged during the works!

Can someone help? Happy to purchase any replacement door cards...rears or all fours.

See the below pictures :(

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the door card has been repaired by a very good trimmer: impossible to see where the cracks were. Sourcing new door casings is near to impossible, glad this solution worked.

Anyways, a couple pictures for whoever gas the 90's nostalgia.
Both my Chelsea tractor and Kings Rd cruiser

Note: in case one of you guys ask, it is a 1992 Carrera RS, which actually belongs more on a track, but it is my daily ride. Rangie is my wife's.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the heads up...but this is for a LWB. The limited edition of 25 25th Anniversary were only ever produced in SWB, oxford blue with lightstone leather and in RHD (for the UK only). They were the last 25 classic ever produced in early 1996.

I got the door repaired, will post a picture later - looks like new!

Here is a link to the 25th anniversary:
http://www.landrover-center.com/news/Range-Rover-Classic/14330

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and the 25th anniversary ones in the US are LWB and a different color?
The US 25th anniversary are LWB indeed and available in different colors: they were not a numbered limited edition...and mostly build in 1995

The 25 UK ones were all identical, and are the last 25 classics ever build, hence 1996

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well it's been 10kmiles so far this year: a road trip from London to Cap Ferret (and back) for the summer surf holidays, and many UK surf trips to Wales and North Devon. It has been flawless bar one new alternator which I caught early on it's way out (so actually did not get stranded). There should be a lot more miles this year...

·
Registered
1 Posts
This looks like a great project.
Very interesting story and pictures.

Sounds like you are enjoying using it now.
Hope that you keep it for years and years.

I am a teeny, tiny...massively jealous of your car and bet you surf standing up every time too ;-)

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
60 Posts
Your paint is GORGEOUS! My Plymouth Blue / Sandstone '95 RR LWB (as seen here) in my garage sitting on the bump stops parked next to my wifes Orientblau / Natur '94 BMW 525i/5. I have the taste and the skills, just not the budget. Carry on and keep us updated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts