RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm not long back from a fantastic 2 week road trip.

I left London for Lyon, Nice, Monte Carlo, Florence, Lake Garda, Milan, Monza (F1), Lake Como, Swiss Alps, Dijon and home.

The Rangie performed faultlessly. You could not ask for a better vehicle to do this sort of thing in. It was admired everywhere we went (had it cleaned a few times whilst travelling).

As the subject stated I did 2565 miles, averaging 17.6mpg and 39 mph. I also came as close as I've ever been (and I ride 2 superbikes) to dying. And it was my own silly fault.

I decided upon leaving Lake Garda that I wanted to go over the mountain pass to get to Milan. We'd driven part of it the day before and it was unbelievably beautiful with views over the lake.

What I didnt take into account was that after a while the tarmac stopped and it got thinner, and thinner and thinner and became more and more unmade, so much so that even on the highest suspension setting it occasionall grounded! I'd gone too far in to even comtemplate reversing. This path, that is used by downhill mountain bikers only (apparently it was built in WW1 and hasnt been used by vehices since!) was about 12" wider than the car and twisted and turned its way up the mountain. No barriers, no wide bits, just a thin twisting path and the occasional mountain biker with a look of pure disbelief on his face.

Several things started to cross my mind. Do we take our seatbelts off in case it goes and we can try and jump out? What if I get a puncture? Do I just leave it up here? When will this ever end? Shall I phone my family at home? Why dont parking sensors dont work when you're doing a 6 point turn on a mountain hairpin with nothing but a kilometre drop behind you! :shock:

Seriously, it got that bad. :pray:

5 miles and 3 hours later, and now 2km above sea level, we reach the summit. If it the same as this on the other side somebody is gonna get a free Range Rover.

"I can see cars" my girlfriend shouts!!! I thought it was a mirage but, no, she's right. We'd made it. :pray: :shock: :crybaby2: Tarmac again!! I could almost kiss it. Turns out it's not meant for cars and is one of the top mountain bikers destinations anywhere. Needless to say they made me feel about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

Honestly, I have never ever been so scared in all my life. I really thought this may be it.

But, despite my engine management light, my temperamental headlight, my airbag light, my ECU fan chirpy 2 and quarter tons on British 4x4 saved my life!!!!

Below is a pic taken on leaving Nice, France and a couple out the window of the pass....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wow... Life is an adventure, and it sounds like you had a great one.

One life, live it,

Scott

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Great story. I'm guessing there were no warning signs anywhere that the upcoming trail was only suitable to ride on a mountain / dirt bike and not on 4-wheel vehicles, right? Sounds like the Italy I remember... (maybe a Fiat 500 might have made it, haha.) Glad you made it back in one piece and, as long as your girlfriend is still talking to you, it's all good! Those are beautiful pictures, by the way. Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
umbertob said:
Great story. I'm guessing there were no warning signs anywhere that the upcoming trail was only suitable to ride on a mountain / dirt bike and not on 4-wheel vehicles, right?
Lets just say, the 'little bike in red ring' meant nothing to me in Italian, and anyway, the Sat Nav ignored it too... :oops:

And for Ace95...

The start of the unmade road.... nice and wide.... stopped for a piccie...

OK, the road starts to get thinner... but I'm in a RR... unstoppable!...

OK, were getting higher and theres been no where to turn round yet....

Uh oh... this isnt looking good...

Were not getting any lower...

**** you Sat Nav... Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmnnnnn yuooooooooo!

Surely we must be near the summit...

Nope... still going up.... the occasional mountain biker really isnt happy...

The next hour was mostly in silence and not many more pics were taken...

It may not look as high as some of the others but this was near the summit...

And just cos it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, here's just a few pics we took of Lake Garda...

Lake Garda

Lake Garda

Lake Garda

Lake Garda

The gorgeous road that eventually lead to the Montain Pass

I do have so many beautiful photos of France, Italy and Switzerland but hope you've enjoyed these few.

All in all, one of the best holidays of my life. And that 3 hours of sheer fear, if anything brought us closer together. Ahhhhh.... :oops:

As previously quoted, one life, live it! :dance:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Looks like an insane amount of fun! And some really good photo's there too. How did you find the gearbox on the twisty hills? I generally find mine a bit tedious with it's odd lock TQ lock up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Dan,

Yes it was a truly fantastic holiday and a huge amount of fun in the Rangie. I was surpirised how little of the proper RR I saw (quite a few Sports were seen). When clean, I think mine looks nice with it's partial colour coding and chrome highlights (not too many mind) and it certainly attracted attention and admiration wherever it went with several people actually approaching me with compliments.

Anyway, no apparent problems with the box. Mines always semed failry fresh, eager to change down when asked and changing back up smoothly when you'd expect.

If funds allow (it's not cheap in Europe at the mo) I couldnt recommend it highly enough!

:thumb:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
habanero said:
If funds allow (it's not cheap in Europe at the mo) I couldnt recommend it highly enough!
Hopefully aiming for somewhere in the south of france in the RR next summer. I've never driven abroad before, but I'm sure it cant be that hard :?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just keep away from the 'Tremalzo Pass'.... :naughty:

Oh, and France seemed pricier than Italy.... £12 for a pint of Stella in Nice... Not sure that is the right way to prevent domestic violence!! :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts