RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
8 Posts
whats up guys . i am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself as well ask for some advice due to being stuck with a purchase i just made. my name is adam. i drive a 2017 white on black supercharge range rover currently living in florida. anyways i just purchased brand new 24" blaque diamond wheels with toyo proxies 2 I've been battling a vibration/hop. after doing all my homework i came to figure out that the toyo tires i am running can't handle the load of my car and that there is no other tire that is required for the weight limit.

IMG_3046.jpg

its a 295/30r24. any advice on what i should do? how does everyone else run 24s on their full body range rover?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
The 2014 never came with 24" wheels, 22" was the largest offered. Since these are after market wheels they may not be up to spec in either center hub or offset
Also, there may not be any 24" rubber band tires with enough side wall to be certified for L405's weight fully loaded.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks for the respond. i don't know why my thread went under 2014 sc. its a 2017 range rover

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Don't know either, I just moved it from general chatter since you did not post in 405 section.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Any way, 22" was still the largest wheel offered in 2017 with a 9.5 width. Tires were 275/40ZR22. That is also still the factory largest for 2019.

·
Registered
952 Posts
My advice is don't even consider running 24s. It's way too much wheel, way too little tire, and frankly look silly. If you're married to 24s, there's probably a 30 page thread on the escalade forum on how to do it.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Total agreement Remington. 24s greatly limits many things. you have to live in a basically pot hole free driving area and have to avoid curbs. you will never be able to drive on the beach or on the ice when a cold front comes and threatens orange groves. above all else they reduce the comfort ride to that of an old pick up. there is no sidewall to cushion curbs or potholes. no decent winter tires or even traction tires. I know it sounds rather harsh but I would take 20s over 24s so I could explore more and have a hurricane safety margin for evacuation.

i remember a huge Snow storm down to sea level in Seattle. All the low profile tire sports car folks, and improperly outfitted SUVs had to abandon their cars on the freeways and floating bridges because they literally had no traction to move. Folks with proper softer rubber winter tires just went around them. That was me in my Range Rover, it took 90 minutes to make 20 minute trip on back roads because people were more concerned with form over function. Two days later two of us were 560 miles away at the Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge dealing with record snows and record cold on a single track mountain road. Meanwhile, Seattle crews and WADOT cleared the freeways and bridges and over 1800 vehicles were impounded for being abandoned on main interstate freeways and state highways.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover MkIV / L405
5 Posts
I just installed a set of 24" Vossen on my Range Rover using Pirelli 285/35/24, tire pressure at 45 and so far no problem under 100 as far as I can tell. Not sure how it will endure potholes but I like the look and am happy with the decision.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man i had nothing but a headache with these wheels. the first set of tires i had were the toyos which were not the tires for my car due to the weight limit of the tire and ratio. i then changed to lexani tires that were the right specs and still vibrations on the highway in the 80mph +. i spoke with a rover tech and he told me that the car is to heavy for aftermarket wheels due to the side walls of the wheel not being able to hold this cars weight... kinda makes sense but i am picky with my ride being smooth. did it make your ride noisy due to hearing the road more ?

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
Well, they are kind of getting up to the size where you might as well not have tires at all, or at least just solid rubber ones with no air in them!

My 2014 Supercharged came with 22's which I have sitting in the yard after replacing them with the smallest size that would fit (to get as much sidewall as possible for off road driving). That turned out to be 20's. I thought 19's would fit but after buying a set I found they (only just) scraped the brake calipers and wheel balancing weights both front and rear.

I find it hard to understand the modern fetish with eliminating any sidewall or tire compliance, leaving any chance of a comfortable ride up to the springs and shocks,

Cheers

John

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover MkIV / L405
5 Posts
There's plenty of valid reasons not to get 24s, probably the only reason to get them is IF you like the look and then you have to weigh the trade offs. I think road noise did increase slightly, ride is rougher but if you're used to and like sports cars, not a big deal.
Rover1.jpg

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
those wheels are sexy ethannn. i took my wheels off and putting them up for sale. i didn't mind the extra road noise but i didn't like the vibrations i was getting on the highway. i did everything and called so many shops. tech at the dealer told me that aftermarket wheels don't have a strong enough side wall to carry the weight of the car and that's why i am getting vibrations. i loved the look but i am not gonna give up the ride comfort for it .

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
those wheels are sexy ethannn. i took my wheels off and putting them up for sale. i didn't mind the extra road noise but i didn't like the vibrations i was getting on the highway. i did everything and called so many shops. tech at the dealer told me that aftermarket wheels don't have a strong enough side wall to carry the weight of the car and that's why i am getting vibrations. i loved the look but i am not gonna give up the ride comfort for it .

Rover24, I personally think 22's are the best way to go on the L405 for street use...and 20's for offroading. I have 22's with 285/40/R22 tires and it rides just as good as the stock 255/55R20's

·
Registered
655 Posts
778CD71F-0DA6-49C9-9F0D-7E908FAC13AF.jpg 31A54EEC-E216-441F-807B-2A3C55865405.jpg Here’s some nice 24’s

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i feel you on that. i have stock 22s on my rover. i didn't like the road noise with the 24s and especially the wobble/vibration . i miss its looks though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts