RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But it is ideal for looking good at the whole foods parking lot in the middle of winter. So I went ahead and did it anyway :)

At the very least I now have some solid winter capability without taking off these 22” beauties.

Pirelli Scorpion Winter. It was the only winter tire available in factory 265/40/22 size. Luckily, it happens to be a very good winter tire, having used a set in a previous car. On the Velar, I find it to be just as quiet as the factory-installed Continental all-seasons, has good steering feel and handles well on dry pavement, is absolutely terrific in torrential rain and very hydroplane-resistant (as I learned today), and a nice bonus is that there’s actually a noticeable improvement in the ride quality and it doesn’t seem to crash as hard on bumps and make as much noise on expansion joints as the Continental all-seasons. I like them so much that I might even run them all year. I know running winter tires all year will just wear them out faster, but I really only need about 15k miles over the next 2-3 years before I trade the Velar in for something else anyway. I highly recommend this setup for anyone who ever wondered if 22” winter tires is just crazy talk.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just may do the same, living in Canada we are sure to get snow!! Did you just put winters on the existing rims or get another set of rims. What about the TPMS sensors??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just mounted the winter tires on the factory 22s and tossed the all-seasons in storage, which I’ll save for when I sell/trade the car.

TPMS sensors were re-used but just needed new collars, which my installer provided at no additional cost to the mounting and balancing.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Running them all year isn't a good idea. Winter tire compound is diffetent and made to be soft when cold compared to an all season that gets harder in cold weather. Snow tires on a summer day will get soft and slippery

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I know it isn't a good idea and have already weighed the potential consequences based on past experience of running winter tires all year on some other cars. There's several factors to consider here though. The make and model of the tire being a significant one. Some winter tires are definitely poorly suited to be run all year, while there are a few that are passable, which generally include winter tires that fall into the high-silica-content "winter performance" category that rather than the "studies ice and snow" variety. These Pirelli Scorpions happen to fall into the passable category. I've run them all year for several seasons on an Audi Q5 and BMW X5 and while they do indeed get very soft on warm summer days, they certainly don't get greasy enough to become "slippery" as you suggest. Handling characteristics are still good, lateral grip still excellent, and most importantly the braking distance are hardly compromised when compared to all-seasons. Having young kids in tow myself, I've tested this on my cars for the sake of their safety. If anything, all-seasons are far more of a risky compromise to run all year during winter time than winter tires are to run all year during summertime.

For all practical purposes, the only real problem with running winter tires all year is the drastically increased tread wear you will experience during the summer months. This is further compounded by the fact that most winter tires are constructed with actual winter tire compound being only on the outer 50% of the useable tread with the inner 50% being a regular all-season compound. Nokians being one of the few exceptions. So a winter tire that is expected to have 30-40k miles of useable tread life would be reduced to only around half that when used through the summer. This is fine by me because I will only be keeping the Velar for 2-3 years tops, which at 5k miles driven per year, will equate to only around 15k miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have also run winter tires on BMW five series all summer, no problems at all really. I do not recall one instance of them becoming greasy or slippery during the summer. In fact I traded the BMW in, with the winter tires attached, for the Velar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts