RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:
Well, the cool phonay aluminum lug nuts have finally started breaking/imploding off and the tire balancing guys tell me they can't "risk taking them off" to get the wheels off to balance.
So, the dealer wants $21.50 per.
Anybody have an alternative if aesthetics are no object? I just want the wheels balanced.
My beast is at 265,000 miles now and I'm going for the record (Volvo B1800 I think with 3.5 million miles).

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
First off the lug nuts are not aluminum. They are standard lug nuts with a stainless trim cap. If your tyres properly rotated and properly torqued this is not an issue. Usually what happens is some ape at the tyre shop overtightens the nuts and warps the caps. THen the correct size socket won't fit, they move one size up and make matters even worse.

There are numerous sites on eBay that sell solid lug nuts for $75 to $100 a set. Larger wheel shops should also be able to order them in as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There are numerous sites on eBay that sell solid lug nuts for $75 to $100 a set.
Yes. Really do shop around. I picked up a full set (less the lockers) new for £40-something a couple of months ago from the net. I know that's here in the UK, but they're out there. My main dealer had previously tried to see me them at a "discount price" of £13 each!!!!

I'd had the "swollen nuts" syndrome :shock: with corrosion under the stainless cover, making removal darned hard. Now nobody comes near my wheels without a torque wrench and NO airgun! :naughty:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I got mine on ebay two years ago and it was like two dollar each but they are SOLID steel! much better than those OEM ones with the silver cap that were deformed and then required me to get a socket of about two millimeter larger to take them off. You can still take them off if they are under the same situation as mine but try a larger socket. It was the 1 inch instead of the metric oem or vice versa, can't remember.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi.

The correct socket is 27mm. If its impossible to get the socket on. You could try to remove the stainless steel cap, then you have a solid steel nut underneath.

If the tire shop is to scared to remove the lug nuts because their afraid of damage the nuts, the only thiing they can damage is the steel cap. You can fine use the nuts without the cap. Just a matter of aperance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. I am running with just the steel nuts sans the fancy stainless caps, but will take you advice and hit eBay- there are many available from several sellers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts