RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Lord.....! I checked the tire pressure on my RR and they were at 36PSI and I pumped up to 44PSI and I just got 21.2 MPG on my computer after driving little over a 100 miles.

I think I called BS on someone who claimed to get 24-26 up north but after seeing 21.2 MPG at 44PSI this is truly amazing for a RR PIG.

I used to get 12MPG on city and 17MPG most on highway with tires pumped up to 36PSi.

Anyone else experience this kind of MPG on a 4.6 HSE Bosch?

I have Michelin Energy 255/55-18's. I was going to toss them because the tread was getting low but heck 21.2MPG. I think I will keep these on for a little while longer.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
How did the air bag deal turn out?

·
Registered
65 Posts
medcapequip said:
Good Lord.....! I checked the tire pressure on my RR and they were at 36PSI and I pumped up to 44PSI and I just got 21.2 MPG on my computer after driving little over a 100 miles.

I think I called BS on someone who claimed to get 24-26 up north but after seeing 21.2 MPG at 44PSI this is truly amazing for a RR PIG.

I used to get 12MPG on city and 17MPG most on highway with tires pumped up to 36PSi.

Anyone else experience this kind of MPG on a 4.6 HSE Bosch?

I have Michelin Energy 255/55-18's. I was going to toss them because the tread was getting low but heck 21.2MPG. I think I will keep these on for a little while longer.

Gotta be careful who you speak to about gas consumption.

1 US gal = 3.8 liters
1 UK gal = 4.5 liters

So the guy in the UK will always get better gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I call shinanigans until you run a full tank and don't go off what the computer says. Sorry. Also...driving back up that hill with the wind not at your back will have the opposite effect. :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've gotten 23mpg lol. When I reset it while traveling 55mph non stop for 5 miles.... I've done some research on the people who claim 25mpg, it seems to be the UK which has a different size gallon or something. In the conversions between liters and gallons to km to miles, something gets lost. I've done the conversions etc. and something isn't adding up. Maybe someone can enlighten us on this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would trade my left nut for that kind of mileage. Currently with the 32" tires and roof rack with the 4 lights best i can manage even babying her is 12.5! 23 just seems impossible. Even before when i was totally stock i couldn't get better than 14, Im gonna have to second shenanigans!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
Best I get is 22.3 on a long run on M5/ M4, about a 600 mile round trip. Average speed 75 mph. I'm well happy with that :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
North American petrol is weaker than the european stuff, your gallon is smaller, you never got the diesel model and your fuel is so cheap you must feel compelled to waste it.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Details to convert between L/100KM, MPG and MPUSG can be found near the end of this post:
viewtopic.php?p=114394#p114394

It also explains the reason for the confusion - the 'US Pint' is smaller than a 'proper' pint, which then affects all the maths.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Over here in NZ I am averaging about 13.6L/100k at 100kph (60mph) - the maximum allowed speed. A couple of months ago I averaged 13.9-14 on a 400km road trip towing a trailer carrying a couple of motox bikes.
I realise that this won´t fit with everybody elses driving conditions but I have found that my economy gets radically better at slightly slower speeds - 80kph = 11.7L/100k - thats about 24mpg (imperial) on worn out 255/55/18 tyres and 30psi.
The 4.6 apparently gets much thirstier as you push it harder. Also I reckon that mine is an alcoholic when it is warming up before I drive it and these factors seem to support the views of Tornado Chips. It´s a pity they are so expensive.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Anything other than driving at a speed that would make me a (slowly) moving chicane on the interstate will yield less than 14mpg (North American). Add the extremely hilly terrain around this area, a complete disregard by the local powers that be for timing traffic lights to sequence efficiently, some fairly knobby A/T tires, my penchant for taking every stoplight as a heads up drag race at Pomona, and if I am in the 13mpg region at all i'm satisfied. I did notice a little bump in economy since I fitted a new, non leaking, exhaust manifold.

I did buff out the paint and applied nice coat of wax last weekend, so I think I picked up at least 20hp. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
That 39mpg was actually caused by roadworks.
It was a summer evening and major roadworks meant I was cruising in a contraflow at 40mph for about 5miles. I reset the computer whilst at that speed and it sat in the mid to high 40s. When the roadworks finished I tickled the throttle up to 70mph and then the economy reading started to get worse. It was 39 by the time I had found the camera and gotten a decent shot.

The DSE used to average about 25-27mpg in brisk daily usage, 27-29 on a long run at respectable speeds and if sitting with the cruise set at 60mph for a good few miles it would creep up to about 34mpg.
And before anybody doubts the accuracy of the computer, I am very anal about fuel economy and have all my fuel receipts for the past four years, so I know these figures are good.

Assuming you've all emptied the crap out of the back of your Rovers, removed the roof rack, lights/bar/winch and are running street tyres at the correct pressure, then the secret of economy driving is to only use the first quarter inch of throttle pedal travel and never touch the brakes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yea im not doin all that, so guess ill have to stick with 12.5 mpg. im really dissapointed that i didnt at least get up to 15 after changing the oil, new plugs and a new air filter last month. Impossible to gauge if it helped as i put the bigger tires and roof rack on at the same time.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts