RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
183 Posts
I saw that this morning as well. Interesting direction with the electric supercharger. All vehicles are going the MHEV route eventually - most use the mild hybrid systems to boost fuel economy, it's good to see one using it to boost performance. That's the route Honda went with the first hybrid Accord - boosting performance vs. fuel economy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So will the 2020 RRS SVR use the current V8 for one more year, or will it receive a beefed up Ingenium 6 turbo/supercharger or BMW V8 turbo? Or will there not be one anymore?

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport HSE, 2004 Porsche Carerra 4S
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who knows, maybe they will do away with v8 all together and combine this engine with some electric motors. Could theoretically generate a lot of power that way and pull off some good efficiency numbers. I have no clue.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
They’re going to lose customers that way. I’d only buy the Sport platform for the V8, and I’m sure many others are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
178 Posts
They’re going to lose customers that way. I’d only buy the Sport platform for the V8, and I’m sure many others are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I love the V8 in mine--the sound and power is phenomenal. That being said, if they can match or exceed the current performance and boost fuel economy to increase driving range, I'd buy one. I'd miss the sound for sure, but I'd trade sound for an extra 80-100 miles of cruising range.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
183 Posts
I love the V8 in mine--the sound and power is phenomenal. That being said, if they can match or exceed the current performance and boost fuel economy to increase driving range, I'd buy one. I'd miss the sound for sure, but I'd trade sound for an extra 80-100 miles of cruising range.
I don't know - the smaller engines with turbos and electric gimmicks may match the headline HP numbers, but there's no substitute for displacement in certain conditions. My Audi A8 (short wheelbase) has the 4.0T engine (435 HP) - it's great but I can feel the turbo lag at times. The supercharged 3.0 TFSI engine I had my old A6 was sneaky fast and no lag whatsoever. Obviously there is a significant weight difference between the two cars which accounts for some of that. I think many people are drawn to the V8 in the RRS - I know I am which is why I'm here doing research before buying one. My wife absolutely wanted the V8 in her RR. It will be interesting to see what happens sales wise if the V8's go away in favor of smaller engines.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Seems like a definite improvement. I had the P380 in a Velar for 10 months and it was awful compared to the 5.0L V8 in my old 2010 Sport. Couldn't wait to get out of it and into my SVR. Even though the Velar was lighter and ended up being quicker than my old Sport it just didn't feel the same. And sounded awful. So it's going to be a better 6 for sure. Like everyone else I'd prefer a V8 in my next SVR or a full size SVAutobiography but these hybrid electric/gas engines looks promising. I think Audi is using one for the RSQ8 and it will have over 700hp or something. Imagine what they could do with a V8/electric motor hybrid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the V6SC is a solid motor (400+ HP modded and 20+ on highway), but if this new engine is able to deliver on the performance and economy improvements AND have a decent engine sound, it will be a huge upgrade. I doubt this will be considered a replacement for the V8, as they would need to coax another 120+HP out of what seems like an already highly tuned 6. I am sure the aftermarket tuners will get something close to that, but doubt JLR will go that far.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
I'm not sure if I'd call it highly tuned. its little sister, the i4 in the Evoque can churn out ~300 HP. 1:1, the 6 cylinder should be good for about 450HP alright.
Adding the PHEV's 110 or so HP, we'd be looking at a pretty nice number, with all the benefits of the PHEV. I was sort of shocked when they initially announced it on the back of the i4, but maybe they learn... I would not buy a 4 banger RR, even with the electric one.

But this engine, with the electric one: I'd personally buy that one in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
I'll be interested to give this engine a spin assuming the L405 will follow.

I know the rumors are the SCV8 will be gone next gen--so my ongoing dilemma for the next vehicle is whether to get a next gen fast sport or a full size with a smaller engine. This may be a good compromise.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
So will the 2020 RRS SVR use the current V8 for one more year, or will it receive a beefed up Ingenium 6 turbo/supercharger or BMW V8 turbo? Or will there not be one anymore?
Canuck, there is no V8 any more and there pretty much no SVR any more. No Ford engines at all.

There has been absolutely no announcement of talks with BMW to become a new V8 engine supplier.

I am thinking this horse is dead...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts