RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outside of the USA the LR range has animated direction turn signal indicators where the front and rear lamps sequentially activate - a sweeping motion. The USA has stricter rules when it comes to these features and on vehicles that have this technology it’s usually a combination of the standard indicator along with a sweeping light source. The 2020 models offer the ability to turn this on or off. I’m curious for those that have purchased 2020 models in the USA what happens when you activate a turn signal? Can anyone post a video?

IMG_1482.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
The menu option is only present on NON US models (and is not new for 2020, it was on 19s and possibly 18s). In the USA there are no animated turn signals.

Note to US regulators - perhaps if we allow signal animation, people will actually use them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I read somewhere that the dynamic indicators would be introduced in 2020 MY. They would however operate slightly different than the other countries.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As soon as they are legal in the US, Land Rovers won't be the only ones having them.

I am in Europe, and animated indicators are a real fashion trend here. Especially the omnipresent VWs and Audis have them, which is why I immediately disabled them. If I wanted a Zeitgeist car, I'd buy an Audi. I don't, so I didn't.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are legal in the USA however the lights operate differently because of regulations. As stated above in the USA a certain percentage of the indicator will light up immediately and then the rest will gradually light up. I’m just curious what the RRS versions look like for 2020 MY if they are being rolled out this year in the USA.

·
Registered
209 Posts
As soon as they are legal in the US, Land Rovers won't be the only ones having them.

I am in Europe, and animated indicators are a real fashion trend here. Especially the omnipresent VWs and Audis have them, which is why I immediately disabled them. If I wanted a Zeitgeist car, I'd buy an Audi. I don't, so I didn't.
Seems you are a lonesome individual style hero, like myself... ;-)

But our LR‘s are already arrived in the mainstream offered with black alloys, dark tinted windows, agressive headlamps and a lot of useless plastic vents, still smarter than other brands, but mainstream...

Back to topic, the sweeping rear indicators at the small RRS taillight is not perfect looking once activated, not bright enough, like in vintage cars with old electric and lost brightness coming from corroded cables and contacts.
Have a second look at it, it’s totally different to the brightness of the front indicator and less visible than other turn signals once animated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Which is why I don't have black alloys (that's for Porsches, yikes) or tinted windows, for instance ;)

I don't agree with your assessment, however. I think it looks fantastic, both front and back. Nevertheless, as said, it's not "me".

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
If this is all software controlled, there must be a way to hack it to be enabled on US models...
I think the front lights are actually hardware different. In Europe, you can choose from 3 different headlight types. In the US, we only get the low-end version. I'm not sure about the rears.
EDIT: having re-read the UK specs, even the low-end is capable of this animation so just ignore what I said. It seems to be software only indeed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Correct, all versions have it.

(OT, re "low-end": People having spent thousands of bucks for headlight "upgrades" might as well disagree now but in MY humble opinion those pixel- and pixel+laser headlights are a complete waste of money. I thoroughly tested all versions and I could not find any useful difference between matrix and pixel. They are (also by specs) equally powerful and the advantages the pixel version is said to have was close to unnoticeable and is purely academic. Oncoming traffic also has headlights, so if above and below those there is light coming from my pixel beams, I wouldn't notice - unless I want to blinded by the other guys headlights, that is. Also, I don't know any roads in my entire country straight and long enough to justify the laser beams. Since they are outright dangerous to look into, they really require a pitch dark surrounding, otherwise the electronics will switch them off. They are extremly narrow, too, so the road needs to be straight. Might be useful in the US however. Finally: If your "low-end" matrix headlights seem to have too short a range, go to the dealer and have them adjusted. Mine were massively misadjusted, and the dealer confessed that my car is by far not the only one having left the factory like that.)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can anyone that has just taken delivery of a 2020 MY USA confirm if the dynamic indicators are an option in the menu?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello
I have a French Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic 2020 and dynamic flashing exist and its in the menu dashboard. I have also the laser pixel option and I confirm that it is very difficult to use because nobody knows to settle them in France
cordially

·
Registered
2020 Evoque First Edition
3 Posts
I have a 2020 Evoque and I do not have this option. I guess this is the case with all the models in North America.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Which is why I don't have black alloys (that's for Porsches, yikes) or tinted windows, for instance ;)

I don't agree with your assessment, however. I think it looks fantastic, both front and back. Nevertheless, as said, it's not "me".
Totally agree - moved from having 3 Audi's to current car - RRS (2019) with front and rear dynamic indicators, but was pleased to find a mod for the wing mirrors to get rid of that awful clear strip and replace with a smoked one (looks far better on the black mirror caps) but this has the dynamic sweep too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts