RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 2020 L494 Range Rover Sport P525 Autobiography with the 3 zone climate control. Got the car about a month ago and have 1800 miles on it so far. I've been noticing a high pitched noise from the right side of the car (passenger side) when the AC is on and the fan is running at medium to high speeds. It's incredibly annoying.

Toggling the AC on or off makes no difference. Recirculating the air makes no difference either. I stuck my head under the dash in the passenger footwell and noticed the sound is most prominent from there. I could see the blower motor and i'm thinking it might be coming from there. Have any of you guys had a similar issue?

I took the car to a dealer last week and tried to hear the sound with a tech, but he couldn't hear it. I'm thinking its at a frequency that only certain people can hear. I made another appointment with a different dealer for this week and am hoping they'll be able to hear it if I direct them to the passenger footwell.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
121 Posts
Does the noise persist when the heat is on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the noise persist when the heat is on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep - doesn’t seem to be affected by temperature. Most noticeable at medium/high fan speeds. Seems to go away if I set it to like 2.

I also found that the following have no effect:

Toggling AC on/off
Toggling recirculate on/off
Toggling different pollution sensor settings
Toggling different air flow options
Choosing different airflow styles
Closing different vents

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
85 Posts
Reviving old post. Is it consistent or does it cycle on and off?
Try turning off the "Cabin Air Ionization". Be patient, it doesn't turn right off, it finishes its cycle before turning off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reviving old post. Is it consistent or does it cycle on and off?
Try turning off the "Cabin Air Ionization". Be patient, it doesn't turn right off, it finishes its cycle before turning off.
Its consistent, most noticeable at medium to high fan speeds. My car actually doesn't have the Cabin Air Ionization feature.

I noticed the sound seemed to be coming from the passenger side of the car, so I stuck my head under the passenger side dashboard/footwell area and realized it was much more pronounced near the blower motor which lives down there. Took it into a dealership last week, they said there's a TSB around the "ionizer tube", which apparently all the cars are equipped with whether or not they have the feature. They're supposed to perform that work tomorrow and if that doesn't fix the issue they are going to look into the blower motor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Just picked up my car from the dealer. They ended up not doing anything with the ionizer tube, turns out my car didn't actually have that. They replaced the AC blower motor, but I still hear the exact same sound.

I'm gonna have to take my car back once this virus stuff is over. Any ideas on what else could be causing the sound? Its definitely coming from under the passenger side dashboard footwell area. Maybe the resistor?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 2020 HSE, and also have noticed a whining sound, but only when i'm sitting in the passenger seat. Had forgotten about it until this post (since i usually drive when its both my wife and me in the car).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh interesting. Maybe I should ask the service department to let me see if a new sport on the lot does the same thing...

It’s insanely annoying but now I’m wondering if it’s just something they all do

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
179 Posts
My 2019.5 does the same thing - it goes away when I turn the fan speed down. I think it's something they all do to an extent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahhh. Dang, thats a huge bummer lol. I'm surprised this isn't a more widely reported issue. The frequency of the sound is just the worst, to the point where I wouldn't have bought the car had I noticed it during the test drive.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Update: Just picked up my car from the dealer. They ended up not doing anything with the ionizer tube, turns out my car didn't actually have that. They replaced the AC blower motor, but I still hear the exact same sound.

I'm gonna have to take my car back once this virus stuff is over. Any ideas on what else could be causing the sound? Its definitely coming from under the passenger side dashboard footwell area. Maybe the resistor?
They all do this to a certain extent bro... hate to tell you that. Some just whine a bit higher than others do... Mine is very, very faint. Hearing is my best sense and I could see if it was say, double the noise it would be hard to overlook. I'd just upgrade the sound system to the max and always have a data formatted CD ( holds about 100 songs) in the CD deck and always on to wash the whine out completely... I love the symphony of this lovely Jaguar "AJ-V8"s exhaust note and 99% of the other character attributes of my 14.5' Rover Sport that I can certainly overlook the whine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah i'm on the same boat where hearing is also my best sense, so I pick up every little thing. So bizarre that they all do that, have never had a car that makes any sort of strange noise from the AC (besides the usual fan sounds). ?‍♂

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey everyone - posting a quick update as I was able to fix my issue.

So I took my vehicle to two different dealers. Both replaced the blower motor to no avail. The second one actually had their tech listen for the same sound in other 2020 RRSs and confirmed they all make the same noise and basically told me I was SOL and that there was nothing else they can do.

The sound was honestly irritating enough that I was ready to get rid of the car if there was no solution...but I decided to not give up and try some DIY fixes because I do love the car. I noticed that the area under the front passenger dash where the AC blower lives is exposed and that this is where the sound was emanating from. DId a quick test and found that if I blocked the area with a towel the sound went away. Also inspected this area in my other cars (non JLR vehicles) and they all have coverings...so possibly an oversight by Land Rover?

I ended up paying Kartunz in Pleasanton, CA to cover up the area with sound deadening material. Only cost $200 and eliminated the sound entirely!

Honestly, i'm a bit irritated that I had to go through all this trouble on a $100k car, but i'm glad there was a fix.

Also - here's a video I found on youtube of the EXACT same sound my car was making, but from a Toyota Corolla:

Related Toyota Forum thread: Blower fan high pitch noise

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for the update and solution! I remember when i first heard it on my car I considered mentioning it during my next service, but quickly imagined them saying either "can't reproduce" or "they all do that".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah honestly I think it's beyond ridiculous that our cars make that noise at all. They clearly engineered the interiors to be as quiet as possible, so it seems like a really dumb oversight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts