RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did they tell you what caused the timing chain guides to fail prematurely? I'm getting a little worried about our ATB blowing up as well.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Did they tell you what caused the timing chain guides to fail prematurely? I'm getting a little worried about our ATB blowing up as well.
I can't speak for "SVRTraveler" or what Land Rover Dealership/Shop tells him... But I can make a good guess that following the Land Rover scheduled maintenance for oil changes didn't help anything. Again, not "SVRTraveler's" fault by any means. He followed the maintenance schedule correctly. It's LR's fault. The timing chain actuators/pistols (that press upon the chain guide arms advancing the timing), these actuators depend heavily upon having full-tilt oil pressure. The best way to get complete oil pressure upon start-up in an otherwise healthy engine with no leaks is to always have a full oil sump. The second best way is to have relatively clean oil... both work in synergy together... clean oil and a full oil sump that is. And dirty oil, say (15,000) miles worth is far from easy to push throughout an engine upon start up to make full tilt Oil-Pressure... getting the oil to everywhere it needs to get inside the engine to prevent premature wear is a strain. And a Cold-Start-Up is where 90% of engine wear takes place...This is how LR North Atlanta's Shop Foreman and Mast Mechanic explained it to me when my engine did the same thing as SVRTraveler's did. It's also why LR has changed their spec in oil at the Dealership level... going from 5w-30 to 0w-30 Castrol Professional in order to build oil pressure as rapidly as possible upon start-up. I got that from the Shop Foreman and Service Tech as well.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts