RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll cut this long story short ....

I was on a business trip then end of January 2020, in Jersey City & Mahwah ,NJ areas. I was driving from JC to Mahwah in stop in go traffic ( no surprise) at 9:30am, for close to 3 hours. I get a warning was low on fuel. OK pull over get fulled up , back on the highway & back into traffic. Get to my meeting , 2 hours there, get back in the Rover and start it up, hear a horrible grinding noise as it started up and was gone. Weird, get going down side roads back down to Jersey City for an afternoon meeting. On the way doing 70-80mph , the grinding noise came back , and got louder and louder, so next rest stop 2 mles, I stopped and opened the hood, sounded like metal on metal. So shut if off. Called LR roadside, they came and picked me up and took me to LR Englewood, which was 7 miles away. They couldn't get me in right away but gave me a loaner and said they'd call me by the EOD or by lunch the next day. OK fine. Missed my meeting but is what it is.

6pm rolls around I get a call from the service manager stating the tech was in the office with him and they had some questions. Asked me when it was serviced last , etc etc, Told them to call LR Bedford, NH which I bought it from and they were the only ones that serviced it the 47K miles on it and they just had it for new rear brake pads 3 weeks ago. I hear clicking and hear " oh yes OK, i see all the services in the system , OK good all done by LR... Well sir you need a new complete engine , the timing chain guides broke off, which loosened the timing chain and was allowing slack and it jumped timing and valves hit 6 of the 8 pistons " ... my reaction " oh $#@#@#$ lovely" We have to call LR to get approval which I don't see a problem since I'm printing out all your services , but here is the issue that engine is back-ordered " .... and goes on to ask when I was leaving the area. I said Friday mid-day was my plan to head home to New Hampshire. " I'll call you thursday night with a plan " ....

Thursday 3pm I get a call from the service manager , stating that LR approved the engine replacement but it would be "16-20 weeks " before they get it . So said OK, is this normal? or is this engine problematic or something? He said there was a recall on the timing chain guides BUT only certain VIN numbers. we chatted back and forth about the loaner, getting a rental car to me, etc etc. OK fine. I get a Ford Explorer from Enterprise and drive home, then Covid happened...NO more work travel yippieeeeeee!

Now this past Thursday, I get a call from Enterprise rental stating that LR will not pay for the rental after this coming Wednesday 5/27/2020 and they aren't sure why, and now I'd have to pay for the rental car 100%.... OK I call ask what is going on? do they have a status on my Rover. No engine yet, and claimed LRNA said it was getting to expensive for a rental car loaner.... I call LR customer service , many calls, transferred to many people , called back many times Friday. all in all, I'm out of a vehicle, out of a rental/loaner and my Rover is still without a heart in it.

I was in Greenwich, CT for the holiday weekend, with the rental car and drove past Miller Motor Cars in the morning. Walked around and saw a 20 w12 , Bentley Bentayga executive edition ... was marked as a " PR display vehicle" with 2281 miles on it and was heavily marked down ( $178K , down from $233,698), and highly loaded with options...4-seat executive seating , touring, city, all terrain packages, many many other options.. I drove it 10 miles and signed papers & while they were cleaning it , drove the enterprise rental car across the street returned the rental car and drove the Bentley home today. I don't sit as high up as in the sport, but road noise is 80% less, Naim 1980watt sound system is freaking amazing and to my surprise went from 510hr 14-16mpg in the Sport Autobio to 26-27MPG with 626hr . Now I have 2 electric blue SUVs ...

if it wasn't for the price , them giving it ( 4 from factory) 6yr, unlimited miles warranty and taking $65K off the sticker because the door kick panels had minor scuff marks & had 2300 miles on it, I probably wouldn't have jumped on it.

Now I have to deal with deciding what to do with the LR Sport if and when I get it back .... ( wife's SVR is still running fine.............. for now) I might keep the auto-bio as a secondary or might just sell it, not 100% sure yet

Attachments

Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
Sorry to read this engine breakdown.
Honestly, I never would accept the broken engine and no loaner, LR has to stand straight for their faults and be supportive to a loyal customer is the minimum.
I would go crazy with them cancelling the loaner costs...
Good luck for a quick solution and why not, give Bentley a chance and enjoy 馃憤馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
This is the first " blown" engine problem I've had in my life, and it isn't leaving a good feeling in my stomach honestly. Trust me I made many calls to the dealer and LRNA , just short of turning a lawyer loose on them.
Just going to chalk it up to , things happen for a reason. I guess I hit the Bentley dealer on the right day , during a pendemic and they wanted to sell a car? I don't know... I'm sure things will get interesting when I get a call from LRNA and I give them an update, that I went and bought a competitors vehicle. Now in 2021 LR is going back to BMW v8s, didn't they learn from the last time what oil consuming junk BMW engines are? I had a X5 5.0, I had to carry 4 quarts of oil at all times. BMW= Bring Money With .... for repairs

Registered
What the hell is people like you working with?! :oops:

Sad to hear about the RR but that Bentley is awesome, love the color! Huge congratulations on the new car;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Work hard, play hard :)

VW credit , 0% for 72 months, they make the first 3 payments. Was a no brainer. I'll pay it off by Q1/2021 though .
and thank you I didn't want to wait nor pay for the rental out of pocket. So right timing , right place, and I think I got a good deal on the Bentley. Time will tell how it holds up though. Now I have to find a place to wrap it in Xpel Ultimate ASAP.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I stand corrected, they are making the first 2 payments, not 3 .

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Lemon law the RRS. It's still under warranty and has been in the shop over 30 days. I just did that 2 months ago with my 2018 BMW. Very easy process with no lawyer.
Really now ? That simple ?

I鈥檓 suppose to talk to LRNA Wednesday, should I mention it to them ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
That's terrible sorry that happened to you :(

How is the Bentley getting 26-27mpg?! Have you calculated it manually after a fill-up?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
That's terrible sorry that happened to you :(

How is the Bentley getting 26-27mpg?! Have you calculated it manually after a fill-up?
Yeah I鈥檓 not pleased , and not impressed with LRNA customer service either.

I filled it up before the 188 mile drive home , topped it off just before getting home , trip computer said 26.6 mpg , I calculated 25.9 , miles / gallons . It also has cylinder deactivation ( read in the manual this evening) , so when adaptive cruise is on or steady driving from 40-80mph , it will shut off 6 of 12 cylinders.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Yes mention you would like to lemon law it that happened to me at 4K miles on the car

Thank you , I will be mentioning it on Wednesday .

Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
By the way, at my first L494 the engine collapsed at 100.000 km after two years.
LR replacet it and for the two months I got an L494 loaner, all in all a smooth handling and I assume this is minimum the same what you should get from LR.

In Europe we get a mobility guarantee in the First 3 years up to 100.000 km once the car hits an construction fault repair.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
By the way, at my first L494 the engine collapsed at 100.000 km after two years.
LR replacet it and for the two months I got an L494 loaner, all in all a smooth handling and I assume this is minimum the same what you should get from LR.

In Europe we get a mobility guarantee in the First 3 years up to 100.000 km once the car hits an construction fault repair.
In the states we get 4yrs or 50k miles , i didn鈥檛 see any requirements or promise for a loaner in the warranty booklets , but there is 1 in my Zurich extended factory warranty contract, I had also purchased to cover it for 5yrs or 100k miles that was about to kick in . I usually do about 62k miles a year . My 2017 sport autobio had 191k on it when it got side swiped by a pass out driver sitting at a stop light.

I鈥檓 going to insist they lemon law it, yes I鈥檝e only owned it 10 months & 40k miles but I鈥檝e taken care of my vehicle , LR requires 20k oil changes I did them 10k , with tires rotated, and at the 20k if they didn鈥檛 put air and HVAC pollen filters in it , I told them to do it anyway and I鈥檇 pay for it . I鈥檇 brake pads are around 1/4 then just replace them .

I also sent my lawyer an email last night he鈥檚 saying press them for the lemon law or take it back . If they don鈥檛 let him know and he鈥檒l get involved

Registered
Yeah I鈥檓 not pleased , and not impressed with LRNA customer service either.

I filled it up before the 188 mile drive home , topped it off just before getting home , trip computer said 26.6 mpg , I calculated 25.9 , miles / gallons . It also has cylinder deactivation ( read in the manual this evening) , so when adaptive cruise is on or steady driving from 40-80mph , it will shut off 6 of 12 cylinders.

That's awesome. Range Rovers need to deactivate cylinders as well.

Maybe the next gen Range Rover will bring you back. The Bentayga is sweet, but it's always bothered me how low it sits and that it's hard to treat it like an SUV (off-road, throw stuff in the back without care, get it super dirty, etc.). The blue you picked looks great too.

Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
Honestly JLR should have bought it back when they realized the replacement engine time frame so very long. I work as a MB tech & have seen this happen on a S-class. MB bought the vehicle back immediately when engine replacement was required & no parts available for little over a month. They also got him a replacement car quickly while he drove a MB loaner. I recommend pressing the lemon law immediately.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
That's awesome. Range Rovers need to deactivate cylinders as well.

Maybe the next gen Range Rover will bring you back. The Bentayga is sweet, but it's always bothered me how low it sits and that it's hard to treat it like an SUV (off-road, throw stuff in the back without care, get it super dirty, etc.). The blue you picked looks great too.
Yeah I鈥檓 curious on the long term and miles I鈥檓 going to be doing how well it will last. I drove it to my office in Boston today , ( got an email saying everyone will be working from home until at least Q2/2021 or until a vaccine has been verified a success, so came to the office to clear out personal items , and pick up home office equipment from IT department ) I still can鈥檛 believe there is nearly zero road noise when at 70-80mph . I caught myself on a conference call approaching 120mph , it quickly gets up to speed .

Trust me it will be going off-roading on cape cod beaches , I use my SUVs as designed .

I like the color but the wife has the same color , waiting for the neighbors to start making comments lol

Reactions: engineerrs

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Honestly JLR should have bought it back when they realized the replacement engine time frame so very long. I work as a MB tech & have seen this happen on a S-class. MB bought the vehicle back immediately when engine replacement was required & no parts available for little over a month. They also got him a replacement car quickly while he drove a MB loaner. I recommend pressing the lemon law immediately.
I鈥檓 going to press them for them to take it back. Yes its got high mileage on it but still 10mths old , highly maintained, this shouldn鈥檛 have happened. Wait until they get the BMW V8s with known faulty value seals , people will be complaining about having to put in 2-3 quarts of oil every 3,000 miles. I have a buddy that is a mobile medical pacemaker sales & tech , he carries a case of oil with him in his 2020 X5 5.0 v8, and BMW dealers tell him 鈥 that鈥檚 normal oil consumption 鈥

Reactions: Madtown

Registered
2014 RRS
Really now ? That simple ?

I鈥檓 suppose to talk to LRNA Wednesday, should I mention it to them ?

It's very simple. Laws vary state to state. In California, if a car has been in 2-4 times for an issue and over 30 days, it is eligible to be lemoned. Google it for your state. When I did mine , I had a vibration problem and it was in the shop for 39 days. After over two years and 19,000 miles, I received all but $2000 of my purchase price back. They deduct for mileage but I first reported the issue at 6500 miles.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
It's very simple. Laws vary state to state. In California, if a car has been in 2-4 times for an issue and over 30 days, it is eligible to be lemoned. Google it for your state. When I did mine , I had a vibration problem and it was in the shop for 39 days. After over two years and 19,000 miles, I received all but $2000 of my purchase price back. They deduct for mileage but I first reported the issue at 6500 miles.
To be perfectly transparent, LRNA left me a v-mail 45minutes, ago for me to call them back . I just got off the phone with them, they are taking it back from me, they are deducting $6700 from what I paid for it for the 鈥 excessive mileage 鈥 which I鈥檓 OK with .

Now I have to ask the dealer to take out personal items or drive down there and get the rest of my belongings out of it, which I think I鈥檒l do because I have to meet with a large client down there anyhow.

Reactions: Madtown
1 - 20 of 42 Posts