RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looked at the SVR, but it has diminished towing capacity. I haul a camper, so that was an issue for me. I got the VelocityAP ECU tune, replaced my exhaust with Quicksilver - so theoretically have the HP of the SVR, but greater towing capacity, and even more growl (not fond of the 1900 RPM, drone on the QC, but has grown on me along with the VelocityAP keeping things at a higher RPM in sports mode)

·
Registered
435 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but does the towing capacity change once the power output and torque curves have been remapped?

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's a good question. I had similar when getting ECU tune. I was told by LR dealer the difference in tow capacity is due to the suspension and the faster shifting transmission on the SVR. I'd be curious if that is accurate.

·
Registered
274 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but does the towing capacity change once the power output and torque curves have been remapped?
Yes, it does. Increasing the torque curve will lower the safe towing capacity of the vehicle. When I say safe i mean doing so can damage your transmission.

There has been a well known and much discussed issue of a delay of acceleration of many of the 2014-2019 vehicles. This delay was implemented by JLR to protect transmission bushings. It seems that in hotter climates having the torque of the engine kick in right away was wreaking havoc on the bushings. So they made it so the power was slowly applied to the tranny.

The SVR should have no delay, it was designed to apply power on demand. JLR may even have implemented a modified power curve update for the SVR (unclear).

So with this in mind you can understand why the recommended towing capacity is reduced.

·
Registered
28 Posts
bill2019, I asked VelocityAP in their forum here. That reason regarding the power curve and bushings is different than what the dealer told me...but dealers can certainly be misinformed.
Curious to see VelocityAP response. Thnx

·
Registered
28 Posts
Reply from VelocityAP
"There are a number of factors influence towing capacity, including the vehicle weight, suspension, Load rating of Tires etc. If you're interested I would recommend researching SAE Standard J2807. I don't know the specific reason that the SVR has a lower rated towing capacity than the regular Sport, however I can't imagine why increasing your power & torque delivery would negatively affect your towing capacity."

Based on this and what my dealer told me, I don't think I am buying the torque curve/bushings reasoning that the ECU patch or upping your horsepower this way is going to affect tow capacity.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I can buy the lower towing rating with the suspension changes, but I would still be kind of leery to push the maximum published towing capacity after the velocity AP tune. I would probably follow the guideline published for the SVR.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I've owned both and honestly IMO the extra money was only worth it for me because I got the Estoril blue color on the SVR that really made it stand out. I wouldn't pay the premium for any other color for the SVR. The seats are awesome but otherwise it's the same car. It's a lot to spend extra but if you got it, and you're getting the SVR color then I would say do it, but otherwise I don't see the point honestly. It's really not faster, and it really doesn't handle any better. It does however sound a lot meaner which was also kinda worth it. But then the SC was also very good sounding.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Reply from VelocityAP
"There are a number of factors influence towing capacity, including the vehicle weight, suspension, Load rating of Tires etc. If you're interested I would recommend researching SAE Standard J2807. I don't know the specific reason that the SVR has a lower rated towing capacity than the regular Sport, however I can't imagine why increasing your power & torque delivery would negatively affect your towing capacity."

Based on this and what my dealer told me, I don't think I am buying the torque curve/bushings reasoning that the ECU patch or upping your horsepower this way is going to affect tow capacity.

Whether you buy it or not it is the reason that this was done. It was change without any owner knowing it because they began having premature bushing failures in extremely hot country's. Rather than try and redesign the bushings they limited initial torque. This comes from corporate engineers.. If Slamming the transmission with full engine force on a vehicle with this weight is bad enough combine that with extremely hot year round temps 100+ and the transmission gets beat to H--- Now add another 7k lbs to the mix and your tranny could fail before you need new brakes

·
Registered
32 Posts
As mentioned above I’ve only had my SVR for a few weeks. I too considered an AB to SVR. Once I drove the SVR it was an easy choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
24 Participants
jjvd21
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing