RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well In FEB, i order a brand spanking new 2019.5 RRS. Sick of grays, silvers and blacks, so Loire Blue it is. Every option that was available, except - i could never find a use of the water wading jobber, so that was skipped. Black / Black/ Black interior. The only reason i didn't get the ATB is, the body color mirrors are only available on the SC DYN. I Picked it up on May 3rd.

So now i am 1 month in and just flipped the odometer to 1000 miles and i have to say, this this is rather impressive.
This is a downsize for me, i was in a Yukon Denali, and before that, a Tahoe, an Avalanche and 2 RAM 1500s.

Lets start with some negatives, or things i would have done different.
- Surprisingly, the Yukon and Tahoe is more maneuverable. Despite a slightly longer wheel base, the GMs had a tighter turning radius. Its noticeable in my daily 3-point turn at my kids bus stop. Minor, just surprising.
- The 3rd row seat. None of the vehicles on the lot had that option and i had to special order to get it. Its something that I only use 3 - 6 times a year, but its something i really didn't want to be without, therefore i ordered it blindly. Well its useless on this thing. There is NO leg room back there, worse, to get that NO LEG ROOM, you need to slide forward the 2nd row. So that row is now TIGHT. So 4 - 5 uncomfortable passengers. Plus its a $2k option - then to put the icing on the cake, I gave up a spare tire because of it. Its also the reason i didn't get the SVR for my birthday indulgence. Regrets.
- The refrigerator. On the SC DYN, this is part of one of the packages i got, I cannot recall which one. Its not something i needed, but i thought it was kinda "cool" Well - this is a silly option. Its not that big, you can fit 4 16 oz water bottles in it, but anything 20oz is too big to let the cover close. The worst part is its lost storage. Yeah there is a decent size storage compartment under the cup holders, but if you have a cup in there, its a PITA to get to while you are driving. (again - coming from a vehicle where the center arm rest was so large it had file folder hangers in it)
- Sunglasses, where the heck to put them? All my previous rides had a dedicated and convenient place to keep my sunglasses. I have been using the case and throwing the case in the door storage pocket. Works, but far less convenient. Yeah - its silly - but its really annoying.
- Slight throttle delay when accelerating from a rolling stop, there is a thread on this, the condition is not as sever as other have complained in another thread, but its present. I am however getting used to it.
- And just because, yeah the software still sucks. Few incidents when the climate temp defaulted to LO. I am not sure why it did that, or what pattern it has. Have had an incident of all cameras failing and when the lower screen was black. Those incidents required the old turn it off and walk away for 5 or more minutes. I'm on 18D if anyone is wondering.
- Gas - yeah i knew it before i started this venture, but on a nice highway ride to our condo in VT, i have maintained 32 MPG on that larger, heavier truck with a larger old pushrod motor. Ok got that whining off my chest, moving on with life.

So lets get a little positive!
+ Power - Holy snot! The GM 6.2 was a beast. I haven't even pushed the RRS yet, kept it topped at 50% throttle, but this thing is fun as hell. I creped it up to about 70% once and ****, those shifts sound ANGRY! And that was still under 4k RPM. Cant wait to see what it can really do on an on-ramp.
+ Ride quality, Love how this thing handles around the corners. I forget i am in a SUV.
+ That second screen, i was a little concerned about not having physical buttons to feel so i don't have to look down, and knowing how laggy the response can be with JLR software. However, the ability to have NAV on the top screen and radio on the lower screen has been a delightful experience. The interface for climate was rather well executed.
+ Did i mention the power and how nice this handles? WOW
+ The sound, the exhaust sounds amazing. I wasn't expecting it to sound this sporty, and i didn't remember it sounding like that on another model i checked out. My in-laws said it sounded like a race car. LOL
+ Overall features - HUD, Dynamic Cruise Control, Automated Lane Keep, Cruise Control all the way to a near stop and full recovery, all the camera angles. All readily available across the industry now-a-days, but they are all well executed and help make the SUV a pleasure to drive.

Although my list of complaints is longer than the positives, the positives far outweigh my *****ing. This thing is really fun to drive. I do wonder if i will be wishing i gave the new BMW x7 a closer look when i am trying to pack the family for vacation next month, but every other day of the year ill be giggling like a school girl when i get to open it up on on ramps and weave through the curvy green mountain roads.

Hope some of the feedback helps others.

Time to go for a ride, take care all,
Noreaster

·
Registered
276 Posts
Tell me more bout your mileage. I have the 6 and the mileage stinks as well. I just took a 188 mile all highway miles average no traffic going i was in normal mode and the eco data said 21.8 and the return I used eco mode to see if there was a difference and the was 23.9. I was thinking that was ok but when I actually did a fill up and calculated it myself I notice the 23.9 was actually 17.1 mpg. I was Pissed. That means my around town mpg is actually more like 12-14 mpg.

Just curious about your v8

·
Registered
69 Posts
Love the ride. You can’t really have fun to drive and fuel economy unless you have electric assistance or diesel power. For the sunglass storage I lower the sun visor slightly and put the ears/arms uncollapsed in between the visor and the headliner and let the sun visor hold them in place. I am curious how you were getting 32 miles per gallon in a vehicle rated for 22 highway. I have a 2017 Yukon and low 20’s is the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
616 Posts
I am curious how you were getting 32 miles per gallon in a vehicle rated for 22 highway. I have a 2017 Yukon and low 20’s is the norm.
Thanks for asking this. My wife has a 2017 Escalade and we hover around 22. I would love to improve that on the road. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
183 Posts
Nice write-up. I've got just over 2k miles on my RRS ATB and am really enjoying driving it every day. I don't have the third-row seats, but I have some comments thoughts on the other areas:

• Maneuverability - I'm coming from a short wheelbase 2015 Audi A8, which was not great in the turning-radius department, so I haven't noticed anything too different with the RRS. It's not the best, but I can deal with it.
  • Refrigerator - agreed on this one for the most part. I can't get the thing to stay closed with the 16.9 oz / 0.5 liter Poland Spring bottles I drink - it's annoying. It seems to cool quickly and works fine for what it is, but if I had to do it again, I'd delete the fridge.
  • Sunglasses - the A8 had a dedicated sunglass holder in the roof, which I loved. In the RRS I just throw them in the top glove box.
  • Throttle delay - I haven't had an issue with this. I've had one or two situations where it took a split second to kick in, but it doesn't seem to come into play with the way I drive.
  • Software - has been fine for the most part. I had one scenario where both screens went black and had to shut down, lock, walk away and come back to get it to reset. Another where the cameras wouldn't activate and all I got was parking sensors. Basically you can't just start the car up and go - you have to let the system fully boot for a minute or two. I'm on the 19A software.
  • Mileage - seems to have gotten a little better as the engine has broken in over the 2k miles I've put on it. Initial mpg (calculated based on miles driven and gallons to fill tank) was in the 16-17 range. More recently in the 18-19 range. The stats in the trip computer show closer to 20 mpg, so it's off by 1-2 mpg. My Audi with the twin turbo V8 was in the 22-23 range. Basically I fill up 5 times a month instead of 4. Not ideal, but I knew that going in.
  • Power - Agreed. I have yet to floor it and this thing has power to spare. I can easily hit 90 mph in passing situations on the highway without realizing it. It's a beast.
  • Ride - It's great for a big, heavy SUV. No complaints at all.
  • Road noise - the Audi was quieter, but the RRS is fine for an SUV with a less aerodynamic profile. The double-pane glass helps.
  • Screens - I've gotten used to them and they work pretty well. I wish they had haptic feedback, but they're fine for what they are.
  • Exhaust - this blew me away. It was much louder than I remembered from the test drive. It's aggressive but settles in nicely for regular driving. The SVR must be outrageous. :)
  • Driver assistance - I had all of this in my Audi. The HUD in the RRS is better - color is nice and it has way more features. The ACC works great. Blind spot works fine, but lane-keep assist still feels like I'm ping-ponging in the lane, so I don't use it much. Overall it's what I expected.
  • Seats - Overall the Audi was better. Seats are hugely important to me - they're why I ordered the ATB with the more adjustable seats so i can adjust the cushion length. The seat heat/ventilation works better than the Audi did, and the massage function is really strong, but the seat back is a little firmer than expected. Overall the seats are comfortable, but the Audi seats with the diamond-stitched Valcona leather were amazingly comfortable.
Overall, I love the car and I'm happy I got it. No car is perfect, but this one checks a lot of boxes. It has its quirks but I look forward to getting in it every day.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, sorry about that mileage line on the denali. It was not a complete thought and was a result of me writing that up over a couple hours and doing family stuff in-between sentences. I missed it on the proof read. I wish i could edit the post.

It was supposed to say, I had a HIGH WATER mark of maintaining 32 MPG on a trip to VT. That was not the norm. The norm was anywhere from 25 - 29, depending on traffic. And was not near that in the city.

The 6.2 was the key to mileage in that beast. If you drove it like a wimp, slowly accelerating and allowing the low end torque to get you up to speed, the thing sipped fuel. It had no trouble going from stop to 40MPH around the backroads, in 4 cylinder mode, and never exceed 2k RPM. The truck definitely learned how you drove and would keep shifting into a higher gear depending on how light you were on the accelerator. This could be proven in a single beat run of 5 miles or so and you can tell the shift points and behavior changed. Unless you made a game of how much you can keep it in 4 cyl mode, it was not fun to drive like that. As someone posted above, you either drive with economy, or you drive fun.

I also would not drive that lightly with someone behind me, no need to torture people.

Sorry for the confusion....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There was a run better than this, but didn't get proof, Co-Pilot took pic, sorry for not being perfect.
Was using the truck reported MPG, it was close enough when i tested back in 2016 ish.

mpg.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts