RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new here, and have a not-completely-silly question (I hope). My car sticker said “full size spare”, but what I actually got was a 21” wheel (black steel), but much thinner, with a temporary tire. The question is, can I replace that unit with a full sized 21” wheel and tire, as shown here? I assume it’s more a question of the depth of the wheel well. I know I could take a wheel off and test it, but I’m old and try to avoid those types of effort if people can just tell me the answer.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
28 Posts
It should. My 2018 has full size spare. Ask your dealer where your full size spare is.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I too have a 2018 that I specifically ordered with towing package and a full sized spare. The option description stated it came on a wheel that matches those on the vehicle and it did. It even has a TPMS valve stem! I think the option cost around $495. When I built mine there was a footnote saying I would lose about 4 inches cargo space as they used a floor panel that was raised that much to accommodate the full sized spare but in checking out the cargo floor on other 2018's at the dealer it seems they ALL came with the higher floor panel whether they had a full sized spare or not but I have seen older Sports that did not have the raised cargo floor.
Check the Land Rover website and "build" a vehicle identical to yours and look for the optional full sized spare to see if it's what you wanted and actually ordered.
Chances are good that the true full sized spare will fit in your wheel well. If you decide to upgrade from the skinny spare I have seen individual OEM wheels listed on eBay that are possibly refurbished but probably cheaper than one from the dealer (remember to factor in shipping) and a matching tire and TPMS can be easily purchased, mounted and balanced at Discount Tire or most other retailers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too have a 2018 that I specifically ordered with towing package and a full sized spare. The option description stated it came on a wheel that matches those on the vehicle and it did. It even has a TPMS valve stem! I think the option cost around $495. When I built mine there was a footnote saying I would lose about 4 inches cargo space as they used a floor panel that was raised that much to accommodate the full sized spare but in checking out the cargo floor on other 2018's at the dealer it seems they ALL came with the higher floor panel whether they had a full sized spare or not but I have seen older Sports that did not have the raised cargo floor.
Check the Land Rover website and "build" a vehicle identical to yours and look for the optional full sized spare to see if it's what you wanted and actually ordered.
Chances are good that the true full sized spare will fit in your wheel well. If you decide to upgrade from the skinny spare I have seen individual OEM wheels listed on eBay that are possibly refurbished but probably cheaper than one from the dealer (remember to factor in shipping) and a matching tire and TPMS can be easily purchased, mounted and balanced at Discount Tire or most other retailers.

Thank you, Mancerator. I’ve asked two local dealer’s service people, and they say they’ll investigate and get back to me. Going on two weeks and neither has contacted me. I just paid one of them about $2500 to install the towing package, so you’d think I’d get some level of consideration—at least in the hopes of selling me a full priced wheel and tire for $15-$19k. Reminds me of “The Money Pit” where the building contractor says, “quick, write me a check before I change my mind!”

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
174 Posts
You should have the full size if you ordered it. I ordered it on my '19 RRS V8 Supercharged (which I ordered with the 22" black wheels). Sure enough it has the extra full size wheel. By the way, I'm interested in the tow package too, but my dealer quoted me $3500 - $4000.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You should have the full size if you ordered it. I ordered it on my '19 RRS V8 Supercharged (which I ordered with the 22" black wheels). Sure enough it has the extra full size wheel. By the way, I'm interested in the tow package too, but my dealer quoted me $3500 - $4000.
Dealer put mine on for $2500 in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
246 Posts
In addition to the hitch receiver itself the factory tow package comes with a different lower bumper valance panel that is shaped to expose the hitch. It's also painted and am guessing it doesn't come painted if you just order the part. The hitch wiring circuit also needs to activated in the computer. I've seen other threads about owners installing aftermarket hitches and they just cut the existing valance panel to expose the hitch and take the vehicle to the dealer to activate the tow circuit. They may or may not have also needed a wiring harness with 7/9 pin connectors. The tow package was only a $665 option on my 2018 Sport so well worth getting the factory set-up yet I didn't see a single one on the dealer lot that came with a hitch. Even if a prospective owner doesn't plan on towing it is convenient for bike racks and other accessories that are inserted into the receiver. It would be interesting to see the dealer's itemized estimate to install a factory hitch after the fact to determine why it's so costly.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
A full size spare and tire should be about $1300-1500 depending on the cost of the rim and what discount you can swing, that's what makes the factory option such a great deal and one I think that should always be checked.

Reactions: dwboston
1 - 9 of 9 Posts