RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Okay folks, some of you are getting way too far off topic. This thread is not for cruise control issues, back up cameras... etc. The thread topic is for MY 2019 nav, ICE and center console issues, assuming that means the dual touch screens. Please stay on topic post actual facts about what your issues are. Nobody can assist on broad sweeping statements or vague generalizations.

Brazeagle has the best suggestion in the entire thread take your time when you start a trip. Any technology takes awhile to load up. Tablets, cell phones, computers all take a bit to load up. If you start your Rover and start poking at the touch screens before things are even loaded it's just going to delay things even further. It's like turning on a cell phone you have to for the OS to load, for carrier to be verified and and reception to be established. If you start trying to dial out before you have reception it's not going to work.

Above all else, other car makers have absolutely no impact on JLR tech that has always been behind the times. You folks that have had many past Range Rovers KNOW buying another one means a different set of tech issues.

Just to update. Yes I was referring the camera and backup issues as well. Anything related to the center and dash console. All the electronics to this day are inconsistent. I’ve done at least four updates and still have similar issues to what everyone has described.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Then you're not updating right. 18C and 18D ironed out the vast majority of bugs in the system. Notice the posts above are from 6+ months ago.
The current version isn't bug-free, but it's just not frustrating any more.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Lets face it folks The vehicle is controlled by a computer it is no longer purely mechanical and just like any computer when booting up and loading operation files sometimes files get corrupted and glitches will happen even if it never happened before it sometime can and will. As I and many have said before start vehicle and DONT TOUCH ANYTHING until Idle down and you see the screens fully loaded. not doing so will just cause a random issue do to corruption. Just yesterday I thought I waited long enough for things to load but I made the mistake of plugging my Phone in to charge before it was done and went the whole trip with no audio either for phone or radio, I didnt want to pull over and shut down for a reboot. This was my fault not the vehicles.

If you are having issues make a note for yourself of under what conditions this had happened and try and see if you did anything different to cause it. We just need to thing computer not Nuts and bolts......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Got literally dozens of private messages from all of you. So that i don’t have to keep repeating myself, please just talk to your dealership about the problems you’re experiencing and make a note of every interaction and problem. Personally, I video recorded all of them even up to the beta 19 release they stuck on my car and literally ruined it.. If you live in California, feel free to PM me directly so I can direct you to the right help as California has better consumer protection laws than any other state (you’ll either get a repurchase or if you are willing to deal with it, $$$K back to compensate for the devaluation due to the intermittent infotainment issues (camera, display screens, anything related to that console, etc.). Money back will be determined based on your current use, purchase price, and to some degree, what data points you can provide regarding resell values in your area. As I shared privately, this is finally going to get resolved the legal way. You can close this thread as it obviously makes few folks perturbed for some strange reason.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Relatively new owner here. 2019 SVA with rear entertainment, CarPlay, and over the air updates so software is current.
Issues:
Screen sometimes blacked out, on but unresponsive, playing something other than displayed, reverts to AM as default, won't play media off thumb drive, PDC instead of backup cam (appears to be an issue when CarPlay is on), backup cam on a long time (sometimes), and can't play all 3 screens at the same time (there is no way to synch them). I have a NAVIKS module for media in motion but have not installed it as things don't work anyway.
The tech guy at the dealership could not help me any more than where we are at now. I have video'd these issues and shown him and he has no explanation. I am fully updated. I am happy some of those who updated are symptom-free, but clearly others are not. Maybe instead of asking people not to add on with related or similar computer-related infotainment issues, we could stop the "I'm having no issues!" posts. Those are the ones that don't contribute.
I could start a new thread about the last few issues, but it wouldn't make the issues or discussion less annoying for everyone.
`)

PS, starting things "too quickly" is not your fault. It is the vehicles. These are vehicles with instant oil pressure, meant to be driven, and people are saying to not touch anything until all the software loads up. This isn't Window95 here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know you have said you are on the latest software release, but could you post your version? As far as I know the latest release is 19A2.

I’m on 19A and overall stability has improved massively. I don’t trust dealers to actually update the car to the latest release, and in my car the OTA update check tells me my software is up to date when I know it’s not, so you may not actually be on the latest release.

·
Registered
276 Posts
PS, starting things "too quickly" is not your fault. It is the vehicles. These are vehicles with instant oil pressure, meant to be driven, and people are saying to not touch anything until all the software loads up. This isn't Window95 here.
ignorance does not help anyone here... The entire vehicle is computerized, Look at the shop manual and you will begin to see that everything is connected by Flex ray and other cables that communicate to each other in order to operate properly. But as for the entertainment and other controls on the front screen this is all passing through a type of computer processor and DOES need to boot properly before it can configure and control the modules it is linked to. Even further proof of this, after you shut your vehicle off the system stay active so it can slowly shut down. it does several tests before it shuts down (sleep Mode) it never really shuts completely off because it is linked to the communication network that is used for roadside assistance and also to you phone app.

To think that you can just jump in and go is naive. if you need proof of possible problems start your car and take off right away you will soon see that cameras dont work parking or proximity sensors. If you are lucky they will slowly boot up and become active but it is more likely than not that one or more of these will fail and a full shut down and restart will be needed to correct the issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ignorance does not help anyone here... The entire vehicle is computerized, Look at the shop manual and you will begin to see that everything is connected by Flex ray and other cables that communicate to each other in order to operate properly. But as for the entertainment and other controls on the front screen this is all passing through a type of computer processor and DOES need to boot properly before it can configure and control the modules it is linked to. Even further proof of this, after you shut your vehicle off the system stay active so it can slowly shut down. it does several tests before it shuts down (sleep Mode) it never really shuts completely off because it is linked to the communication network that is used for roadside assistance and also to you phone app.

To think that you can just jump in and go is naive. if you need proof of possible problems start your car and take off right away you will soon see that cameras dont work parking or proximity sensors. If you are lucky they will slowly boot up and become active but it is more likely than not that one or more of these will fail and a full shut down and restart will be needed to correct the issue.
You are absolutely correct in your understanding of how computers control the car and need time to work properly. But it is still not the owner's fault. It's a design or execution issue. If the car is meant to be driven and operate a certain way, then it should do so. Whether that means the computer comes off hibernate as soon as you touch the door handle, ignores your iPhone for an extra few seconds, faster cables, more RAM, or whatever, I have no idea. But you are laying fault where it does not belong. This is classic victim blaming.
It's 2019 and a $180,000 vehicle for God's sake. Don't give me workarounds. It should just work.

·
Registered
276 Posts
it was never a matter of blame but education. Vehicles are not the same anymore and never will be, they are all controlled by computers now and All computers need time to boot. you cannot hit the power button on your PC and right away surf the internet, you need to wait for everything to load and settle before you can even touch the mouse.

Is it the fastest on the RR probably not but there is a lot that they packed into the vehicle and I am sure in the future things will be much faster.

Times are forever changing and we all need to try and keep up with them. Many people dont understand about how the vehicles of today operate so those of us that do need to educate those who dont

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brazeagle has the best suggestion in the entire thread take your time when you start a trip. Any technology takes awhile to load up. Tablets, cell phones, computers all take a bit to load up. If you start your Rover and start poking at the touch screens before things are even loaded it's just going to delay things even further. It's like turning on a cell phone you have to for the OS to load, for carrier to be verified and and reception to be established. If you start trying to dial out before you have reception it's not going to work.

Maybe w RR, but every other brand works when you start it, and that is relevant and on topic:

My 19 5L RR LWB when delivered:

-smart keys didnt work
-radio turns itself on
-screen functions only work part of the time: from cameras to nav and on and on
-low range button says selected every ten minutes

The dealers should check the cars before delivery, and RR is way behind w tech issues. until they solve them, they should simplify the design until they are reliable.

The car is a the best triple digit Labrador Retriever hauler Ive ever had, where you can setp off road at the end of the run - that's superb.

But the electronic failures remove all trust in the product --- you wonder when the shifter wont work or the car won't start way back in.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
The excuses made here for RR electronic design and operational failures are hilarious!

My 19 LWB 5L was delivered with:
a console that turned things on and off itself - radio comes on, etc.,
buttons that refused to operate -
low range button that claims Im selecting it at 130 mph
smart keys that didnt work

The factory needs to simplify its designs until it can deliver reliable product, like other luxury makes.
The failures electronically remove all trust from the product: is the gear shift always going to work, it's electronic? Will the car start when way back in the boonies?

The aura of unreliability blankets the brand. I love the car anyway, as what else can carry 4 Labradors at very high speed, then step off the pavement to some degree?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts