RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new 2019 Range Rover Sport Brochure is available for download on the landrover usa website the RRS dynamic is no longer available. All new models include new mild electric engines. P360 twin turbo with electric supercharger 355/365 and the HST P400 with 395/406.

I should have waited a few months I had no idea they would be changing the 2019 lineup I just took delivery late December I thought i would have at least had a year.....Still love it though..

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
180 Posts
The new 2019 Range Rover Sport Brochure is available for download on the landrover usa website the RRS dynamic is no longer available. All new models include new mild electric engines. P360 twin turbo with electric supercharger 355/365 and the HST P400 with 395/406.

I should have waited a few months I had no idea they would be changing the 2019 lineup I just took delivery late December I thought i would have at least had a year.....Still love it though..
When I ordered my RRS ATB this past weekend, the build order showed it as a 2019.5 model and the salesman mentioned that there was a memo from JLR in the last week or so with a host of changes for the 2019.5 models.

·
Registered
173 Posts
When I ordered my RRS ATB this past weekend, the build order showed it as a 2019.5 model and the salesman mentioned that there was a memo from JLR in the last week or so with a host of changes for the 2019.5 models.
Same here for me. Just got my build sheet today and it said 2019.5 model. Notably, the maximum speed for the V8 Supercharged has been bumped up to 155 MPH from 136 MPH.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Actually, there is conflicting info in the brochure. On one page it says the max speed for a V8 Supercharged is 155 MPH; on another page, it says it's 130 MPH. :?:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was really surprised that they would drop the HSE Dynamic trim seeing that it is a 2019 model I can see them adding something but taking away a trim package mid year? I am wondering what that would do to my resale value.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was really surprised that they would drop the HSE Dynamic trim seeing that it is a 2019 model I can see them adding something but taking away a trim package mid year? I am wondering what that would do to my resale value.
They added the HST model, which effectively replaces the HSE dynamic going forward. I wouldn't worry about resale value - the trim package and its details won't just disappear from places like KBB or Edmunds when you go to sell it or trade it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So i have a SC Dynamic on order. Nice to spend that kind of cash, and see the model or 2 below what i am getting has a higher top speed limit. (not that i will ever have a chance to go that fast)
2019-rrs-engines.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't even taken delivery of my 2019 HSE V6. It just arrived at the dealer earlier this week.

Not sure how to feel about missing out on the new P360 engine. On one hand I wish I knew so I could have had the option of waiting a couple more months. On the other hand, it's reliability is obviously unknown.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel the same way just taking delivery. I could of easily have waited if i knew there was going to be a change. Especially since the one i did take deliver of has that bad defect of delayed acceleration at low speeds. I chose the HSE Dynamic because it had the same options as the ATB but with a v6 I wanted the massage seats and it was either the HSE Dynamic or the ATB. The only option I really wanted was the off road package with low gear and MY trim was the only one across the whole lineup that it was not available on. I just didnt want to spend the extra 15k for it and sacrifice the MPG to get it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I feel the same way just taking delivery. I could of easily have waited if i knew there was going to be a change. Especially since the one i did take deliver of has that bad defect of delayed acceleration at low speeds. I chose the HSE Dynamic because it had the same options as the ATB but with a v6 I wanted the massage seats and it was either the HSE Dynamic or the ATB. The only option I really wanted was the off road package with low gear and MY trim was the only one across the whole lineup that it was not available on. I just didnt want to spend the extra 15k for it and sacrifice the MPG to get it.
Would you really be willing to jump in on the HST with a new engine with all new technology and an unknown track record? There's always something new around the corner with cars or any consumer technology. At some point we need to make a decision and stick with it, or we'll always be waiting for something better.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly I wouldn't hesitate. I am not worried about the new engine, in fact i would prefer the inline six they tend to be smoother. The twin turbo would save on fuel and as far as the electric supercharge goes I think it is a very smart idea. virtually eliminating the turbo lag would absolutely lead me to buy it. The only reason i never bought a turbo was because of the lag. Ironically Im stuck with a lag anyway(just my luck).

The only question would be the batteries but even that isnt all that of a concern. When it really comes down to it whatever we buy from here to eternity we will have to deal with quirks and unforeseen issues, just look at all the issues on past and current models.

Yeah it was a slight blow having new models coming out so soon after i took delivery what really would have sent me over the edge is if they decided to offer 5 year 60,000 mile warranty and free scheduled maintenance just like Jaguar. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't hesitate. I am not worried about the new engine, in fact i would prefer the inline six they tend to be smoother. The twin turbo would save on fuel and as far as the electric supercharge goes I think it is a very smart idea. virtually eliminating the turbo lag would absolutely lead me to buy it. The only reason i never bought a turbo was because of the lag. Ironically Im stuck with a lag anyway(just my luck).

The only question would be the batteries but even that isnt all that of a concern. When it really comes down to it whatever we buy from here to eternity we will have to deal with quirks and unforeseen issues, just look at all the issues on past and current models.

Yeah it was a slight blow having new models coming out so soon after i took delivery what really would have sent me over the edge is if they decided to offer 5 year 60,000 mile warranty and free scheduled maintenance just like Jaguar. :)
If there's one truism when it comes to cars, it's never buy the first model year of something. The model itself has been around, but a brand-new engine design? I'd let that shake out for a year or two to see what issues develop. I agree with everything you said about the inline six, twin turbos and supercharger, but for this kind of money I'd let it mature a little.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
If there's one truism when it comes to cars, it's never buy the first model year of something. The model itself has been around, but a brand-new engine design? I'd let that shake out for a year or two to see what issues develop. I agree with everything you said about the inline six, twin turbos and supercharger, but for this kind of money I'd let it mature a little.
Last time JLR did this in 2009 (when switching to the Ford V8 and supercharged V8) was the smoothest ever engine launch, with tremendous improvements over the previous years. Since then, they also launched the V6 derivative of the same engine, the 4.4V8 diesel in Europe, the Diesel 6-es in various forms for various markets, and the i-4 diesel and gas ingenium engines.
Not a single one of these had the kind of problems you're implying. Additionally, the I-6 is a modular extension of the I-4 that's been in various vehicles since at least 2012 (the Evoque). Enigneering-wise, there's probably not a lot of challenge to this, since the Ingenium family of engines was very specifically designed for this sort of modularity by JLR themselves.

I'd say they have a pretty decent track record, when it comes to engines. They suck at software and customer support. They're wicked awesome when it comes to the powertrain.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Last time JLR did this in 2009 (when switching to the Ford V8 and supercharged V8) was the smoothest ever engine launch, with tremendous improvements over the previous years. Since then, they also launched the V6 derivative of the same engine, the 4.4V8 diesel in Europe, the Diesel 6-es in various forms for various markets, and the i-4 diesel and gas ingenium engines.
Not a single one of these had the kind of problems you're implying. Additionally, the I-6 is a modular extension of the I-4 that's been in various vehicles since at least 2012 (the Evoque). Enigneering-wise, there's probably not a lot of challenge to this, since the Ingenium family of engines was very specifically designed for this sort of modularity by JLR themselves.

I'd say they have a pretty decent track record, when it comes to engines. They suck at software and customer support. They're wicked awesome when it comes to the powertrain.
I'm not criticizing JLR specifically here. I wouldn't buy a first-year engine from any manufacturer. To each his own.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
297 Posts
As a general rule, I really have to agree with you.
Better to buy the second model year and beyond. I ignored my own advice and I bought a JX35 (first model year of the now QX60). Thought it should be okay cause it was the same engine they use in all their cars etc etc and my business partner had one that was really great. It had a horrible idle that would almost stall when the car warmed up. The car was still under warranty, despite replicating it and proving it wasn’t normal, they weren’t willing to do anything to try and fix it. Drove me nuts!

The good news is that most of the newest cars/issues can be fixed with software vs hardware. Sometimes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
As a general rule, I really have to agree with you.
Better to buy the second model year and beyond. I ignored my own advice and I bought a JX35 (first model year of the now QX60). Thought it should be okay cause it was the same engine they use in all their cars etc etc and my business partner had one that was really great. It had a horrible idle that would almost stall when the car warmed up. The car was still under warranty, despite replicating it and proving it wasn’t normal, they weren’t willing to do anything to try and fix it. Drove me nuts!

The good news is that most of the newest cars/issues can be fixed with software vs hardware. Sometimes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not willing to shell out $90k+ to be a beta tester for a new engine. Better to give it a year or two to settle in. I've seen too many issues in the past 10 years with other manufacturers (BMW, Audi, Honda/Acura) with new engine technology that caused a lot of pain for early adopters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Other than the new 6 cylinder powertrains I can't find many other differences by comparing the brochures.

But something I did notice is the stated weight ...

2018 - 4,839 pounds (V6 Supercharged)
2019 - 5,135 pounds (P360/P400)

So I guess all the added MHEV stuff adds 296 pounds. Ouch.

There are also some other small HST changes I found (compared to the HSE DYNAMIC) ...

HST
Wheels
––21" 9 spoke 'Style 9001' with Gloss Black finish (standard wheel)​
––22" 5 split-spoke 'Style 5086' with Gloss Black finish (optional, exclusive to HST)​
Interior
––Duo Tone perforated Windsor leather seats with suedecloth bolsters
––16-way heated and cooled front seats with heated rear seats
––Dark Engine Turned Aluminum trim finisher
––Suedecloth steering wheel with Atlas bezel
––Aluminum gearshift paddles
––Bright metal pedals
––Suedecloth gearshift​

HSE DYNAMIC
Wheels
––21" 5 split-spoke ‘Style 5085’ alloy wheels with Diamond Turned finish​
Interior
––Semi-Aniline leather seats​
––22-way heated and cooled front seats with memory and winged headrests with heated rear seats​
––Grand Black veneer​
––Heated leather steering wheel with bright silver finish bezel​
––Configurable Ambient Interior Lighting​
––Premium carpet mats​
––Bright metal pedal​
––Satin Chrome gearshift paddles​

·
Registered
85 Posts
The build your own tool is updated with the new engines and trims. not impressed with the HST, limited colors, limited wheels cant get 3rd row seat, ect.

Seems the PHEVs are gone, not sure if thats temporary or a sign of a short lived idea.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am suppose to pick up my ATB LWB RR at the end of March. Do you know where I can check to see if there are any changes to the ATB RR for 2019.5? Not happy if there are changes.

In regards to the new engine, it sounds great. I have been driving a Plug in Hybrid Panamera during the week and the LR on weekends. The smoothness of the Plug in is great. Not sure if LR's new engine is smooth yet, but I am sure it will be when they work it all out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts