RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 RRS Autobiography - should have the 27.5 gal tank from what I can find here: https://www.landroverusa.com/vehicles/range-rover-sport/specifications.html

I've driven down to almost empty on the trip computer (+/- 5 miles range remaining), but the most gas I've been able to add on a fill-up is 22.5 gallons.

Is the trip computer wrong? is there another +/- 5 gallons in reserve? or do I actually have the smaller 22.7 gal tank?

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
the trip computer lies, it leaves a huge reserve. the tank is indeed over 27 gallons. you can find some threads (I think in the L405 forum) where people discussed this in detail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found this thread over there: https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/24-range-rover-mark-iv-l405/273169-fuel-tank-capacity.html#/topics/273169

Looks like it's "normal"

Layman's speculation, but maybe this is intentional so that the fuel pump can always draw fuel, even when the vehicle is off camber or on steep inclines/declines and generally sloshing around off road.. otherwise it would lose fuel supply and therefore it's off roader capability?

Either way it's good to know the extra supply is in there.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,445 Posts
I think the most I've ever been able to squeeze in is 23+ gallons. I thought then I was sucking fumes. Interesting if anyone has been able fill close to 25.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I recently let the "miles remaining" get down to zero, then drove another 10 miles. I filled up 24.6 gallons in a ~27.5 gallon tank, so it seems the trip computer leaves 3-3.5 gallons of buffer.

I wish it left less so that my driving range to empty was a bigger number and represented around 2 gallons of buffer, but I understand why they decided to leave more.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
Well what it really is the white fuel level bar on our dashboards does not truly represent what is in the USABLE portion of our tanks. I notice right off the bat on my new RRS with only driving 125 mile i was way past half so I hooked up my scan tool to read what the ecu was seeing and it was reading 67 percent while the gauge was showing more like 42 percent. so i tested it once again with a full tank and right now the dash is showing about 49 percent and the scan tool reads 73 percent. I waited until it the gauge reached just before hitting red and did a fill up and it took 18.7 gallons.

The gauge on the dash needs to be recalibrated as well along with the trip average till empty. The gas tank does have to separated compartments one of which will always have just a little less than two gallons at all time and will not be available for use. That is why there is a spec that is called usable fuel so in reality we would only be able to us just under 26 gallons at any given time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The gauge on the dash needs to be recalibrated as well along with the trip average till empty. The gas tank does have to separated compartments one of which will always have just a little less than two gallons at all time and will not be available for use. That is why there is a spec that is called usable fuel so in reality we would only be able to us just under 26 gallons at any given time.
Is it possible to re-calibrate any of that?

LR's website says it should be 27.5 usable gallons.

Has anyone driven until literally running out of gas and noted the trip distance and MPG?

RRS Specs.jpg

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
298 Posts
I’ve noticed this too, I’ve always wanted to try this
https://youtu.be/TuEdU_lrtZk
Anyone in Ontario Canada wanna go on a wild adventure?

I would be interested in a calibration.
With 105 litres, we should be able to get like 850 kms on one tank (hwy). Most I’ve gotten is 600 before it showing low fuel
Or
28Gal- 530miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts