RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering moving to the 2018 RRS from my Audi SQ5 (supercharged V6), but am having trouble deciding between the V8 and V6 Dynamic. I drove both and love the power and exhaust of the V8 and felt that the V6 Dynamic felt like it was a bit under powered for such a heavy truck -- especially compared to my SQ5 -- but obviously liked the price of the V6 better. How have others made the V6 vs V8 decision?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My decision was a hard one to make. I have basically created the V6 Dynamic version of the Autobiography, and the additional $14K needed to get the V8 was the last contributing factor. So I went with the V6 for that sole reason. I drove both and the V8 is just another animal all together.... not in my budget YET

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also came from an SQ5. My feeling when driving the v6 and v8 was similar to driving the q5 2.0 to the SQ5. Both very nice vehicles, but completely different character.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Agreed with the others. We own an SQ5 and a Velar with the V6 P380 engine. The V6 in the Audi is much much better than the V6 in the Velar, even with less HP. I had a V8 in my old Sport and loved it. I ordered an SVR because I prefer the V8 so much. Would never buy another LR with a V6. EVER.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the V6 and its just fine.... Would I like some "extra" power from time to time, of course. Do I "need" the extra power, no. The V6 has plenty of get up to get on the freeway and/or pass someone, we don't pull anything, we mainly drive in the city and I'm not racing from light to light or trying to go 0-60 in a certain amount of time, that's what I had my Porsche for.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I was originally going to get a RRS V6 but ended up test driving the X5 V8 of all things, which turned me onto trying the V8. What I've found is people who have only the RRS (like me) go for the V8 to be the jack of all trades, but those with additional sports cars (i.e. F-type, Porsche, etc), often go for the V6 as the truck serves a different purpose and they have other ways to drive fast.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I was originally going to get a RRS V6 but ended up test driving the X5 V8 of all things, which turned me onto trying the V8. What I've found is people who have only the RRS (like me) go for the V8 to be the jack of all trades, but those with additional sports cars (i.e. F-type, Porsche, etc), often go for the V6 as the truck serves a different purpose and they have other ways to drive fast.
Or you could be like me and have a V8 AND sports cars ;).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. I think this solidified my decision to go with the V8. Now to choose which wheels to go with Carpathian Grey...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Look at it this way: Do you think there will ever be a time when you’re driving along in a V8 and wish you’d got the V6? I don’t think so. Maybe at the Gas Pump. Maybe.

I have been driving my HST for 2 1/2 years now, it has 380hp , and because I live in an area of SoCal with way too much traffic I’ve been more than happy with it, the other thing is, I see People run red lights on a daily basis, so I rarely race away on the green anyway, in fact I never race anyone anywhere.

Having said that, I hadn’t driven a V8 until I went down to see my Friend at the Dealer and took a Supercharged Dynamic out for a 5 mile spin, I loved it. By coincidence, it was Carpathian, with black wheels and it looked awesome by the way. Seeing as you now have a wheel dilemma.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Had a V6, went to V8, would never go back. Trust me, you need that V8. And I get 22-23mpg on a regular basis.
Are you sure you're doing the math right? My 2016 V6 got 22mpg at best cruising on a flat highway at 70mph. 22-23mpg is 15-20% better than what is advertised as highway fuel economy for the V8.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I always wanted the V8 but due to some complications with JLR financial (or who they use), i was not able to get it and got a V6 Dynamic with the 380hp. At first I felt it sluggish and slow, then I put it in the Dynamic setting and all hell broke lose. Do I still want the V8, yes, is the V6 slow and horrible, not one bit. If you can get the V8 with no issues do it, if it puts you in a bind, get the 6 then later upgrade. Just a thought, that’s what I’m going to do after I have my new mortgage over a year since that’s what killed me.
Love my HSE Dynamic all black though. My first RRS and I’m hooked.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are you sure you're doing the math right? My 2016 V6 got 22mpg at best cruising on a flat highway at 70mph. 22-23mpg is 15-20% better than what is advertised as highway fuel economy for the V8.
Yes, i was very surprised myself. I am using the eco screen on the in control touch pro. I regularly get that MPG on the highway. The power to weight ratio must be more optimal for the V8 which allows more coasting.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes, i was very surprised myself. I am using the eco screen on the in control touch pro. I regularly get that MPG on the highway. The power to weight ratio must be more optimal for the V8 which allows more coasting.
Unless you're calculating it yourself, don't trust the numbers. The UK gallon is a different size than US gallon, which led to erroneous MPG reports (at least in the 2014 RRS).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Unless you're calculating it yourself, don't trust the numbers. The UK gallon is a different size than US gallon, which led to erroneous MPG reports (at least in the 2014 RRS).
Doubt thats still the case in the 2017 with updated ICTP system. In the past when I've calculated it manually its lined up with the ICTP numbers, so I trust it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
How is your city fuel economy? I ask because I'm only opting for the V6 in order to get increased driving range.

·
Registered
75 Posts
How is your city fuel economy? I ask because I'm only opting for the V6 in order to get increased driving range.
City is a bit different story, see 14-17 on the reg. If its a short trip then will suffer more, plus I live in a downtown area so I start out cruising red lights, so that doesn't help. They are all short trips for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
With my P380 V6 in the Velar the mileage isn't even much better than my 5.0 V8 from my L320 Sport. Gas has been cheap for years and probably will continue to be due to lower demand thanks to electric cars and the move to more fuel efficient engines, hybrids, etc. So you don't really save that much on an annual basis.

Final point, when have you ever heard someone say "oh man this engine is just too powerful and fast, I hate it." Never. It's not about flooring it from traffic light to light. But the low end torque is great, merging onto freeways, getting around slow traffic, and opening it up on empty roads that is actually fun. It changes the driving experience in all situations. The Sport is pretty heavy and needs it so the V8 is completely worth it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The V8 is fantastic, especially so the sound. The Diesel is also pretty good too, nice low-end torque off the line. The V6 I find a bit lacking, given the weight of the vehicle.

With my V8 I'm getting--
Hwy: 21-24mpg
City: 15-16mpg (start-stop disabled)
Towing Hwy (7200lbs): 12.5-14.5mpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts