RangeRovers.net Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I spoke with the Land Rover regional managers that came down Tuesday, and after hearing there explanation of the problem, I believe they do not know exactly what is going on. They stated that the delay was built into the software, to protect "heavy foot" drivers. That is when I asked them if they have driven these cars to see why I am calling them out. They told me the engineers have driven it, and know the problem. I told them it does not matter if you have a light or heavy foot, because it does not occur at a complete stop! It is when you are at a rolling speed, and when you step on the accelerator, light or heavy, it will not go. They are looking at giving me a month or two "free" payments for my troubles, not a buy back, because the dealer did not properly open the case back in February, and failed to report the problem each time I brought it in. My dealer told me the reason they did not send these reports, cannot remember what they are called, is because Land Rover penalizes the dealer or service department if and when they open too many. That is when I told Land Rover, that having a problem that was reported to LR, even though it was not properly done in February, and the dealer having my car 3 weeks, 4 next week, is a problem in my book. So I still am pushing for the buy back, or there will be a lawsuit.

·
Registered
276 Posts
it sounds to me that the regional manager comment about a heavy foot was his own, he seems to think you are talking about the normal throttle mapping, slow to respond when you first step on the gas. This delay although not very desirable is acceptable. Once the vehicle is in motion there should be no delay to respond to throttle request.

read your dispute resolution handbook if you had not already and see what recourse you have available to you in your state. Dont take his word that its too late. If you are really unhappy than continue complaining to JLRNA. I myself am getting a bit impatient I will wait 2 more weeks to see if they come out with a solution if not I will have to ramp up my complaints.

Have you had any luck with them test driving the vehicle with you?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ok folks it been a while and I would like to inform everyone of the end result. during my independent testing I noticed the delay of downshifting and the lack of initial torque and it appears that I was on the correct tract.

I will now share with you the history and the Official reason for the delay issue.

A few years back there was a problem, in Extremely hot year round climates typical of overseas the transmission bushings were burning out prematurely. So Land Rover needed to make a decision, redesign the bushings or remap the torque curve. seeing that a redesign of the bushings was not feasible they opted to change the PCM calibrations to delay the torque output of the engine. Rather than selectively change PCM via region they opted to do so all across the board.

They came up with a PCM update to delay the torque output curve. For existing years 2014-2017 they implemented the new calibrations via an update. For years 2018 onward they would be built using the new specs. Anyone who owned an earlier model who never noticed a delay would now notice one after the update was performed during service. Their official response to everyone was this is how it is designed and every Land Rover owner across the globe is going to have the same performance. so any complaints where initially met with this very frustrating response.

The complaints continued but fell on deaf ears. it was not until too many owners were complaining to dealerships refusing to drive there vehicle until something was done to fix it that made them take careful notice. The shops were reporting weekly about all the complaints. Until finally the engineers were able to get corporate to listen to their appeals to let them change things.

Once they decided to try and figure out what to do it was not so easy. See the 2014-2017 vehicle where built with a earlier strategy, they could just be rolled back, but the newer ones were never built with anything else but the new platform. so they needed to come up with a new PCM calibration that could be installed on the new vehicles.

In my opinion those with the earlier models being rolled back will have better performance than those with newer ones. the new calibrations although correct the delay will still show a difference in torque curve from the older ones.

I held off posting until I knew when the fix would be in, it was supposed to be released earlier but of course it was pushed back. the fix was out and installed on some vehicle with special authorization but not widely available to everyone until today.

The fix was in today's Pathfinder release 102. make an appointment with your dealer to have this installed.

Please post your experiences, good or bad.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bill2019, thank you for posting!
Does it say which models are affected? Seemed to start with just the V8? Then the V6s?
From what I gather it was all models and engines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bill,

Thanks for the update and the background. The only thing that does not make sense to me is that there have been no posts until MY 2018 (to my knowledge). If software updates were made to full size Range Rovers and Sports from 2014-2017 (and I assume both V6 and V8 motors), then I would expect there to be several existing discussions in this forum.

I am glad that there is a fix and I hope that you can now enjoy your rig safely. I look forward to your follow up report.

Steve

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bill2019, thank you for posting!
Does it say which models are affected? Seemed to start with just the V8? Then the V6s?
From what I gather it was all models and engines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well currently Both the L405 and l494 are affected and engine did not matter. although some would say the delay did seem more extreme on the v6 but that had not been confirmed. the discovery also has an issue with a delay. The fix that was released yesterday was for Both l405 and l494 2018 and 2019.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bill,

Thanks for the update and the background. The only thing that does not make sense to me is that there have been no posts until MY 2018 (to my knowledge). If software updates were made to full size Range Rovers and Sports from 2014-2017 (and I assume both V6 and V8 motors), then I would expect there to be several existing discussions in this forum.

I am glad that there is a fix and I hope that you can now enjoy your rig safely. I look forward to your follow up report.

Steve
It has been a problem for years it also has been talked about on many different forums over the years but not as in debt as it was here. Many who complained in the past just could not come to an agreement as to when or why it happens most discussion went so far off base that they just died. I tried my best to keep things on track that is why I tried doing in debt diagnostics or as much as one can do on there own.

remember that not everyone who had the earlier models had the update performed. Those who did would in fact see a difference. Some who complained right away and id there shop manager was willing they would have just reverted back to the older software to satisfy the customer. But I will tell you that all newer years were built with the revised strategy and this fix for all intensive purposes just like the original torque curve installed on earlier years.

Tried to edit last post but was too late. I rechecked the update notes and the fix does include the discovery model.

Service Actions and Bulletins:

18MY > Range Rover / L405
18MY > Discovery / L462
18MY > Range Rover Sport / L494

This release includes updated vehicle software files to support LTB01298 - Vehicle Hesitation When Accelerating From Low Vehicle Speed.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts