RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anyone who's having this problem: try taking taking your vehicle out of auto terrain response and select general driving mode.

The problem is that when the temperature drops near freezing, auto terrain response selects snow mode. Snow mode slows throttle response. Even if there is no snow on the road the vehicle thinks that snow mode is the optimal drive mode. So it'll be perfectly dry out and you'll take off like a snail.

I've confirmed this with both L405 and the new Discovery. This might not work for you, but for me anytime the temperature drops I turn off auto terrain response and leave it in general driving mode. No hesitation issues after that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Anyone who's having this problem: try taking taking your vehicle out of auto terrain response and select general driving mode.

The problem is that when the temperature drops near freezing, auto terrain response selects snow mode. Snow mode slows throttle response. Even if there is no snow on the road the vehicle thinks that snow mode is the optimal drive mode. So it'll be perfectly dry out and you'll take off like a snail.

I've confirmed this with both L405 and the new Discovery. This might not work for you, but for me anytime the temperature drops I turn off auto terrain response and leave it in general driving mode. No hesitation issues after that.
If this is true it's an amazing find. i wonder if it applies to the L494 as well? There have been plenty of folks over on that sub-forum complaining of hesitation on acceleration as well. When I test-drove a 2019 RRS SCD V8 a few weeks ago before ordering, I didn't notice any hesitation, just the opposite. The temp was definitely over 32* F that day though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That would make sense, because my little snow icon has been on frequently, due to our cold weather. Thanks! I will give that a try.

·
Registered
276 Posts

That is not the problem the v6 does not have auto mode it has nothing to do with that. So you might try to understand a bit more: It is an absolute dead zone not a slow to respond throttle like in snow mode, in snow mode you press on the peddle with a longer throw and the car slowly rev's up so as to not spin the tires.
The delay we are speaking of is you press the peddle expecting something and nothing happens so you gradually press it further and still nothing until WHAM it kicks in at a much great throttle than we would expect because that gradual pushing of the peddle to gain acceleration has caused us to demand more than we want and by the time the computer decides to respond it does so with the increase throttle demand.

There is a hiccup in communication and it is frightening Since my last post I found myself sitting in the middle of the road with oncoming traffic and praying for the car to respond its like the car stalled. and just like Flinthills said I was turning onto a street and a car was following to close behind me and nearly rear ended me because it wouldnt go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was told my rover has the auto control, and I do have the v6, and I do notice the snowflake icon in the top right corner of my gauge cluster. I'm not saying because of that icon, I do have the auto control, that is just what the mechanic told me. At this point, I will take any advice on what the problem could be. It is frustrating, and quite honestly scary. When I let, he did a complete diagnostic, and it showed no faults, which as I told him, does not mean Land Rover still doesn't have problems.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That is not the problem the v6 does not have auto mode it has nothing to do with that. So you might try to understand a bit more: It is an absolute dead zone not a slow to respond throttle like in snow mode, in snow mode you press on the peddle with a longer throw and the car slowly rev's up so as to not spin the tires.
The delay we are speaking of is you press the peddle expecting something and nothing happens so you gradually press it further and still nothing until WHAM it kicks in at a much great throttle than we would expect because that gradual pushing of the peddle to gain acceleration has caused us to demand more than we want and by the time the computer decides to respond it does so with the increase throttle demand
Ah gotcha. I should have been more clear too. The "snail" acceleration I was referring to is normal for snow mode. What's not normal was what I was feeling. My problem felt to me like a fuel cut. The dealer was calling it "turbo lag". I'd hit the throttle and nothing would happen, then it would jump. I have a TD6 though.

It's really hard to say what's the cause, all I know is that since I started leaving it in general driving mode I haven't had it happen since. I have 70k+ miles on my truck right now so I've had quite some time to drive it and test. My thought was that auto terrain is trying to change mid-acceleration and glitches. But if you're experiencing something similar without auto terrain then I might be wrong.

Hope you guys can find solution!

I was told my rover has the auto control, and I do have the v6, and I do notice the snowflake icon in the top right corner of my gauge cluster. I'm not saying because of that icon, I do have the auto control, that is just what the mechanic told me. At this point, I will take any advice on what the problem could be. It is frustrating, and quite honestly scary. When I let, he did a complete diagnostic, and it showed no faults, which as I told him, does not mean Land Rover still doesn't have problems.
The snowflake icon just means that the temperature has dropped and to watch for ice, not that you've switched drive modes. If auto terrain response is on you actually won't be told what drive mode you're in. You can infer it from how it other systems act though.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
This thread was originally a V8 thread, but it now combines the V8, the V6 and the diesel. I think whatever you guys are experiencing, are different things, by engine - and in this thread it's confusing to follow.
None of my cars exhibit this problem so I'm just an observer here, but I thought I'd mention it.

A sidenote: the little snowflake icon on the dash means that the weather is colder than I think 40F/8C, and has no relevance to the engine, AFAIK. It's just a thermometer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just posted a new topic with information on my new rover. My car is a brand new 2019 full size with the 3.0 gasser, a week old, and one of the problems is the throttle lag or hesitation. Almost cost me two rear end collisions!! Dealer does not think it is a problem with the car, but that it was designed that way. Only happens at slow speeds, especially when letting off of the brake, then getting back into the throttle.
I just took delivery of my L494 (HSE V6) and didn't notice throttle hesitation on my pre-delivery test drive but was able to feel some lag when replicating this method. When I transition quickly from break back to throttle I do have some hesitation before the car begins to accelerate again. It has to be software related so it's hard to imagine they can't find the issue and push out a fix.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just took delivery of my L494 (HSE V6) and didn't notice throttle hesitation on my pre-delivery test drive but was able to feel some lag when replicating this method. When I transition quickly from break back to throttle I do have some hesitation before the car begins to accelerate again. It has to be software related so it's hard to imagine they can't find the issue and push out a fix.
If it is a slight delay that would be considered normal, Believe me if you had it you would no it. It is nothing like a turbo lag it sometimes vary in length usually about close to about two seconds of dead spot with nothing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
This thread was originally a V8 thread, but it now combines the V8, the V6 and the diesel. I think whatever you guys are experiencing, are different things, by engine - and in this thread it's confusing to follow.
None of my cars exhibit this problem so I'm just an observer here, but I thought I'd mention it.

A sidenote: the little snowflake icon on the dash means that the weather is colder than I think 40F/8C, and has no relevance to the engine, AFAIK. It's just a thermometer.
Yeah i know the topic did get broader but it does seem that on some of the v6 and the v8 are inflicted with this problem i can tell you that to my knowledge no diesel has this problem. I plan on taking this on myself before really fighting with jlrna. the weather me is beginning to clear up I am going to go out with my diagnostic tool and take some readings and try to narrow down response times of the suggested parameters as suggested by JLR as long as others. it probably will take a deep dive to figure this out more than jlr is willing to do at this time. Ive attached one of the SSM about this problem there are several like this about other models that have been issued for the past several years but none for 2019

Range Rover RR Sport Discovery equipped with AJ126 Engines
A Customer may complain of a hesitation while accelerating from a ‘rolling stop’.
We are investigating complaints on MY18 vehicles which had complaints from new as well as 14-17 MY vehicles where this complaint surfaced following a software update. Perform diagnosis and repair of any DTCs stored. If a repair is made and validated based on DTCs, raise an EPQR and hold any parts replaced for analysis. If the complaint is deemed to be normal as compared to another like vehicle, raise an EPQR with a video of the live data signals below, taken when the complaint occurred attached to the report. Also describe in detail what conditions cause the complaint to occur.
PCM: TCM:
Under Investigation
• Accelerator Pedal Position 1.
• Vehicle Speed 2.
• Throttle Position 3.
• Engine RPM 4.
Throttle Position
Engine Torque
Gear Position
Output Shaft Speed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, I just picked my new rover up for the second time, and yes, their is a bulletin that has just been posted by Land Rover, addressing this issue. It does cover both the V8 and the V6. When the fix will come out is another story. So like they told me, be patient, but at least LR is away of the issue.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Flint,

Do you have a bulletin number that you can post? That may be helpful to other members of the forum when interacting with their dealers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do not see a bulletin number, the only number mentioned are at the top. D7U quipped with AJ126 hesitation on acceleration. I would be happy to take a photo of the copy my dealer attached to my service invoice? Would need help posting that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've driven my wife's "new" CPO 2017 SCV8 L405 four or five times and I haven't noticed any hesitation on acceleration, rolling stops or otherwise. All I've noticed is the vehicle is more comfortable and rides better than her old 2012 GL550.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My wife's 2016 Td6 has exhibited the hesitation issue as well, it's more pronounced when the vehicle is colder.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I have a 2015 SCV8 and it has this same throttle lag issue. Definitely a software thing. Ridiculously annoying. And even dangerous when trying to pull out into traffic, from a stop or slow roll. My LR dealer tech has driven the vehicle and just kinda shrugged "that's how they are". I call BS. Subscribed here in hopes someone finds a solution.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Both my current 2016 L405 AB and previous Sport L320 Series 2(both 5.0 S/C) seem to rev in neutral for a second or so before lurching into gear, my supposition being that it’s set by default to start in 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and then drops down into 1[SUP]st[/SUP] when it senses a more enthusiastic throttle opening. Less bad in Sport and when warm.

Sounds like a different issue though?

Either way, considering the number of vehicles with this combination of 5.0l S/C and transmission must run into the hundreds of thousands at this point, so it’s bizarre.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just posted this in the l494 section under throttle delay and I am posting it here just in case you dont look there.

So even though they have said a software update should be out in April this SSM does not leave me feeling confident. The typical answer is that it is operating within spec's. That doesnt mean that they didnt make a mistake when building it and shouldnt fix it.

Check this out: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10154062-9999.pdf

21 - 40 of 89 Posts