RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my V8 today, loved everything about it so far, but I noticed when I step on the accelerator from a stop, there is a slight (but noticeable enough to be annoying) hesitation before the car gets moving. Yes I did turn off the engine auto-stop feature. Came from a 2012 RR V8 that didn't have this issue.

Anyone else notice that?

·
Registered
389 Posts
not 2018 but it’s there for 2017 as well and if I recall correctly was a bit there for 2016 also. Perhaps it’s how throttle is designed to operate in L405 SC

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's intentional. I'm guessing they figure people buying V8SC Range Rovers don't have any fine motor control so they build in a lot of dead zone to keep people from "jumping off the line". But it most likely has something to do with gaming EPA mileage certification, a lot of new SUVs I've driven have the same dead zone + slow ramp up of throttle. Ironically, it was likely done to reduce fuel consumption but the end result is the opposite because you have to quickly push through the dead zone to get going from a stop and end up accelerating harder than you intend to.

Yeah, it's annoying but you learn to work around it. It doesn't do it as badly in dynamic mode as far as I remember.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree that it probably has to do with epa. A lot of new suvs have the same issue. It really annoys me.

I know on other brands there are third party devices that have settings to eliminate this. They are typically for performance cars, but I wonder if someone makes something similar for range rover.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you think the throttle lag is bad in your RR never dare to try a Mercedes with the Twin Turbo V8 (550 or AMG63)
Most modern drive by wire cars show some sort of lag when fully depressing the Throttle from a stand still position, I read somewhere its a feature programmed into the ECU. When you hit the throttle, the ECU interprets how fast and how far you push the pedal to determine if its going to launch in first or second gear and how hard its going to lock the torque converter, this "processing" translates into what you perceive as throttle lag. For some vehicles there are devices to improve acceleration, but I am not aware of any available for late model Range Rover.
You can try driving in the S position or Dynamic program, it may improve things a bit or solve the problem completely.
I only have 400 miles in my 2018 RR V8, and being old school I wait at least 1000 miles to "properly test" the car, so I cant tell at this point how bad the lag is, I also have a 2016 RRS Dynamic and it shows very little or no lag, as a matter of fact I call that car the neck snapping car, although the drivetrain is the same as my 2018 the throttle and transmission mapping is totally different.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,671 Posts
if it is really that bad simply get a throttle compensator and condense your throttle sweep.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's intentional. I'm guessing they figure people buying V8SC Range Rovers don't have any fine motor control so they build in a lot of dead zone to keep people from "jumping off the line". But it most likely has something to do with gaming EPA mileage certification, a lot of new SUVs I've driven have the same dead zone + slow ramp up of throttle. Ironically, it was likely done to reduce fuel consumption but the end result is the opposite because you have to quickly push through the dead zone to get going from a stop and end up accelerating harder than you intend to.
Exactly, I feel like I have less control over the vehicle when I go from a stop or slow roll. I haven't tried to floor it since it has only 50 miles on the odometer. It's not terrible and hopefully I will get used to it but just a bit annoying.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have this with my v6 hse...and ya it's pretty **** annoying. None of my 15/16 rovers did it either (those were v8 supercharged and SVR) I'd likely go aftermarket to fix that too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
if it is really that bad simply get a throttle compensator and condense your throttle sweep.
Is there one available to bypass the idle CTP sensors for the electronic throttle motor?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've experienced this 'dead spot' when you first press the accelerator on every V8SC L405 that I've owned (15,16,17,18. The 'S' mode got rid of most of the hesitation for me. I've found it's mostly gone in the Dynamic mode on the 18 and it's even less noticeable, if not gone completely, if you use the S mode and toss it in Dynamic.

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
I was just thinking about it on the way home. It feels like the dynamic mode is what the normal mode was for '17 and before. The comfort mode (that I guess we're all talking about) is like the car was sleepy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2018 RR HSE has the problem. Only 2 RR's sold at my dealership last year have the problem, so it is not widespread. It is not designed into the engine. It is a defect. Factory knows about it but is not moving forward with a fix. Spent 45 minutes on the phone with Mahwah and they tell you "Engineering is working on it, but they need more data from the dealers." Suggest you call Mahwah and establish a Case to get the point across to them. Dealership service manager is frustrated that he cannot resolve the issue and the factory is not helping. Manager is convinced it is a software issue and not mechanical. He drove it 2 blocks with me in the passenger seat and said...."yep; you've got the hesitation problem." Hesitation occurs only at slow speeds, usually after a stop and especially after braking to make a slow speed turn. Annoying. And dangerous when trying to accelerate to get into traffic. Needs to be resolved. Sport mode and dynamic help but do not eliminate completely.

·
Registered
274 Posts
yeah your not alone i have it bad in my 2019 rrs the delay is sometimes close to 2 seconds. it is so bad that i was almost hit when exiting a parking lot trying to enter oncoming traffic with blocked view. every time i go to make a turn from a stop sign or around town i press the peddle and absolutely nothing happens for 1-2 secs and then wham it kicks in. I cant drive this like that. i only have about 120 miles on mine as i have not been driving all that much and intend on bringing it in but i would like to get a little more time in my new rr before having it sit in the shop for a week.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just did a full scan on my car and on board diagnostics came up with several faults with VVT also diagnostics came up with several intermittent codes on can bus lines. so one of the modules or components are faulty of has a bad connection, causing system wide problems. I bet this is the reason for the delay in throttle response.

I made an appointment for two weeks, just brought my f pace in for multiple problems it too came up with can bus errors and crankcase sensor shorted to ground.

·
Registered
159 Posts
One thing to try here might be to clear codes and try driving the vehicle. Not only will this reset everything, but it will also allow the setting of "fresh" codes for diagnosis. One other thing to consider on very new vehicles is the updating of the "scratch pad." This portion of the ECM allows the "trims" to adapt to your driving style. A little less obvious is the idea of "dtopping for gas" when it is convenient, instead of using the same station especially of a name brand, such as Shell or Exxon. Different stations use slightly different compounds of fuel, and will require updating the scratch pad every time. Just a heads up, everyone. Ray

·
Registered
274 Posts
One thing to try here might be to clear codes and try driving the vehicle. Not only will this reset everything, but it will also allow the setting of "fresh" codes for diagnosis. One other thing to consider on very new vehicles is the updating of the "scratch pad." This portion of the ECM allows the "trims" to adapt to your driving style. A little less obvious is the idea of "dtopping for gas" when it is convenient, instead of using the same station especially of a name brand, such as Shell or Exxon. Different stations use slightly different compounds of fuel, and will require updating the scratch pad every time. Just a heads up, everyone. Ray
Yeah i hear what your saying but it is not a gas issue. when you press the pedal absolutely nothing happens for for up to two seconds then wham it kicks in There is a delay in communication somewhere. I heard some mention that it had to due with the transmission not knowing what to do but even happens when in sport mode and set to first or second gear. There are several SSM from manufactures to dealers about this issue but they have no answer as of yet.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Something to try here is to test the drive by wire system. Have someone floor the gas for an instant, and see if the throttle body responds quickly. It should be almost instantaneous. Do this very quickly, as you do not want to over rev the engine. I suspect an issue of traction control, as it may be trying to prevent wheel spin. I realize that we are grasping at straws here, but this might be a place to start. Ray

·
Registered
274 Posts
Somehow The info is being held up by the ecu the engine has no response when you hit the gas dead silent. This is why after the delay it hits hard with a jerky response because we are pressing the pedal further and further trying to get a response and by the time the ecu processes the signal we are pressing the pedal so far down the it slams the gas... very unusual.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just posted a new topic with information on my new rover. My car is a brand new 2019 full size with the 3.0 gasser, a week old, and one of the problems is the throttle lag or hesitation. Almost cost me two rear end collisions!! Dealer does not think it is a problem with the car, but that it was designed that way. Only happens at slow speeds, especially when letting off of the brake, then getting back into the throttle.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
About this Discussion
88 Replies
25 Participants
bill2019
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing