Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Does the turn signal “sweep” when it’s illuminated, or just blink? I can’t find any video.
2) What happens when you turn on the turn signal at night? Doesn’t the turn signal and running light use the same visual space, if different bulbs?
3) I believe there’s an extra pin in the 2018+ unit’s harness than the 2013+ units. Does anyone have a link to a schematic for either unit, with the electrical specs?

Thanks for any help.
-Seth

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mines an 18. No audi like dynamic lights. Just basic blinking for headlights and taillights.

Not letting me post the video.

Taillight: the illuminated part is blinking during signal changes. Same brightness regardless if headlights are on or off

What you mean for question 2? Are you talking about the headlights? The orange blinking lights occupy the same spot as the running light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mines an 18. No audi like dynamic lights. Just basic blinking for headlights and taillights.

Not letting me post the video.

Taillight: the illuminated part is blinking during signal changes. Same brightness regardless if headlights are on or off

What you mean for question 2? Are you talking about the headlights? The orange blinking lights occupy the same spot as the running light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, I wasn’t clear. For #2, I also meant the tail lights. The blinker and “normal” tail light maintain the same space in the lamp, as far as I can see. I believe that when the indicator is on at night, it just tries to overpower the normal light. So, if making a right turn, the U stays the same red color on the left and right, but the right side ALSO has a blinking orange trying to overpower it. Does that sound right? Thanks.
Seth

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cars in the USA do not have dynamic turn signals due to North American legislation that outlaws them. In Europe and other territories both the front and rear lights are dynamic in the "Audi" style. 2018+ lights have a cricuit that switches off the tail light whilst the turn signal is active.

When retrofitting a standard set of 2018+ lights to an earlier car the tail light is not cancelled as the car is not set-up to do this. Companies like Powerful UK provide a set with an additional circuit that switches the tail light off to mimic 2018+ car behaviour when retrofitting to earlier models.

You'll find a host of info on this and a demonstration on their YouTube channel under their L494 playlist.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cars in the USA do not have dynamic turn signals due to North American legislation that outlaws them. In Europe and other territories both the front and rear lights are dynamic in the "Audi" style. 2018+ lights have a cricuit that switches off the tail light whilst the turn signal is active.

When retrofitting a standard set of 2018+ lights to an earlier car the tail light is not cancelled as the car is not set-up to do this. Companies like Powerful UK provide a set with an additional circuit that switches the tail light off to mimic 2018+ car behaviour when retrofitting to earlier models.

You'll find a host of info on this and a demonstration on their YouTube channel under their L494 playlist.
Today I was behind an Audi (in the U.S.) that had the sweeping signals on the back. It seems that the issue is Rover put the signal in the same assembly as the night time lights, and my guess is it’s illegal in the U.S. to use the “shut off when blinker is on” solution that Powerful uses, and I assume that Rover uses on Rest of World cars, as well. Is that what you’re saying?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unless US regulations have changed very recently the Audi is illegal based on what I've read. US regulations specify a minimum lighting area per bulb and if they light up individually in a sequence, each single LED is counted as a bulb and this is why USA spec cars do not have dynamic turn signals (not to mention matrix headlights etc).

You'll see below that the tail lights stay on but the turn signals flash on top for the US spec car below. In the Powerful UK video they are fitting 2018+ lights into a 2013 car but the car isn't set up to cancel the tail light the way that a 2018+ car does, so they have put an additional circuit in place to replicate that behaviour.

Standard 2018 Rear turn signals USA:

Standard 2018 Rear turn signals Europe:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless US regulations have changed very recently the Audi is illegal based on what I've read. US regulations specify a minimum lighting area per bulb and if they light up individually in a sequence, each single LED is counted as a bulb and this is why USA spec cars do not have dynamic turn signals (not to mention matrix headlights etc).

You'll see below that the tail lights stay on but the turn signals flash on top for the US spec car below. In the Powerful UK video they are fitting 2018+ lights into a 2013 car but the car isn't set up to cancel the tail light the way that a 2018+ car does, so they have put an additional circuit in place to replicate that behaviour.

Standard 2018 Rear turn signals USA:

Standard 2018 Rear turn signals Europe:
We’re on the same page. I know what Powerful did, and that’d be simple enough to do in the U.S. (without the animated lights.) I’m fairly certain that the Audi (animated) was stock, and I’d be surprised if it wasn’t DOT approved. I wonder if the lowest illumination level is larger in the Audi.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Happy to proven wrong but I had a 2018 RS5 up until six months ago and all the US members on the Audi Forum I was in were bemoaning the lack of dynamic turn signals and matrix LED lights on their cars. But I’m not based in the US so it’s certainly not my place to argue with a native about the laws of their own country! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha. I may need to go to an Audi dealer and check it out. Pretty sure it was an A4, but could’ve been an A6. (Been hard to tell for the last decade.) I almost bought an RS7 on an impulse buy, the other day. I have an old S4 that I’ve beaten within an inch of its life, but it takes it like a champ. I bring it to New York City so I just don’t care when the parking lot puts a fresh dent in the sheet metal on every occasion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Give it some time. The city is a hole, and frankly it’s not safe. COVID + a mayor who is loathed by both the left and right for his complete ineptitude are a dangerous combo. He’s gone next year, luckily. That’s 12 months away, unluckily.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a set of sweeping lights on my 14 model RRS but the rear lights stay on when you indicate I went to poweful uk but they no longer sell them relays so I am making my own switchback relay and will be attempting to fit them this weekend but need to work out the wiring so if anyone can help please shout

·
Registered
‘16 HSE Loire Blue/Almond, Useless 3rd Row
202 Posts
I was able to get Powerful UK to put the in-line timers back on their site and I and I bought a pair, but it made no difference with my 18+ eBay lights.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
305 Posts
i am thinking of swapping my aftermarket rear lights with the sweeping turn signals. (Look like face lift units) for a set of Gloh. if anyone is interested $575 plus shipping, I have the original shipping boxes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts