RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m hoping the collective brainpower and experience on the board can help me determine what is causing an occasional issue with my 2018 SVR.

About a month ago, I was pulling out of my garage (while access mode was engaged) and my SVR came to a slow halt as if my rear tires nudged up to something on the ground in my driveway. I assumed it was something my kids left there but nothing showed up on the cameras. I applied a little throttle to crawl over this unknown object only to feel the rear end continue to raise some, however the car would not budge backwards. I got out of the car expecting to find something blocking me but there was absolutely nothing there whatsoever. I got back in the car, pulled back into the garage, put it in reverse again and the same halt occurred, again feeling like I was about to crawl over something in the way. This time I frustratingly gave it more throttle and proceed to hear a loud gear or axle cranking noise while at the same time feeling the vehicle raise and then lower as if it indeed crawled over an object. I get out of the car again and still nothing is there. I believe the noise came from the front left side but don’t see anything wrong at all with any of the tires,wheels, etc. I get back in and continue backing out and the issue seems to have resolved itself.

The following week I took it into the local dealership to have the annual service done and for them to check out the underside of the vehicle for any damage. Of course they say they find nothing and the computers do not trigger any faults errors at all.

Now a month later the same issue occurred backing out of my garage again. This time I applied no additional throttle when the halt occurred and instead took the vehicle out of access mode and into normal height mode, put it back into drive and pulled forward a few feet, put it back in reverse and was able to back out of my driveway normally with no issue.

I’m going to take the car back into the dealership this week for a minor soft close door fix and have them look at this unknown suspension/axle issue again.

Any idea what this issue could be caused from? Is this something to do with a fault in the terrain response system? Or does this sound like a locking differential fault of some kind? It’s very concerning because the noise it makes when coming to a halt sounds like there could be some damage occurring.

I appreciate any feedback from you guys and hope you have a good Sunday.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
are you saying it only happens while in access height? How often does this happen and how far in reverse where you able to progress before lockup?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you saying it only happens while in access height? How often does this happen and how far in reverse where you able to progress before lockup?
It has now happened twice and both times occurred while backing out of my garage in access mode. Both times I backed out to the edge of the garage and then it halts. So 10 ft or so. The first time it occurred I thought the parking brake might have engaged, however this only crossed my mind after the fact. I do not think that is the case because that’s the first thing I looked at the second time. After making sure the parking brake was not engaged, I then decided to try putting it into normal height mode and that’s when I was able to resume backing up.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
297 Posts
Was gonna say it might be a brake that’s engaged?
Next time make sure to have a phone or camera ready so you can get a video. That should help to diagnose, but also, document the sensation so you can show the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts
Well... you described a feeling like the rear was lifting up a bit like rolling over something and the only thing that would cause that would be the rear wheels not moving freely, the front wheels are free to move so when you throttle up the front wheels are creating the torque to raise the body up in the rear, this is giving you the feeling of rolling over something.

No for the possible causes, The first thing and most logical would be the e brake because it is only located in the rear. It could possible be randomly locking up. if you combine that with it freeing up when you raise the vehicle than perhaps there could be a wire that is being pinched randomly when the vehicle is lowered. you should try some trial cycles to see if you can get it to happen again. lower vehicle and reverse, if it does happen again put it in park turn your hazards on and use the key fob to raise the rear of the vehicle every so lightly in increments each time stopping to see if it will reverse. if it works stop and shut vehicle off and take a look around under the rear to see if any wires are close to being pinched. If it does not work by just raising the rear than go ahead and hit the button to raise the front as well. at least you can see if it is in the rear or not.

The other and less likely cause would be the abs system, this could be locking up the rear wheels as well if there is a fault with the unit or the all terrain sensor. the abs system is used to apply brake to any wheel that it deems to be slipping so if it thinks they are than that is what would happen.

The fact that you can roll 10 feet before feeling it is puzzling. that distance would be enough for the abs to sense slippage.

Its hard to diagnose without seeing it and without being able to use my scan tools. you really should have the shop do a deep dive on the TCM BCM and ABS modules to review the events that have been recorded. There is not always a code thrown.

Without any more info to go on this is what I was able to come up with. Let me know if anything else comes up or you find a solution.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... you described a feeling like the rear was lifting up a bit like rolling over something and the only thing that would cause that would be the rear wheels not moving freely, the front wheels are free to move so when you throttle up the front wheels are creating the torque to raise the body up in the rear, this is giving you the feeling of rolling over something.

No for the possible causes, The first thing and most logical would be the e brake because it is only located in the rear. It could possible be randomly locking up. if you combine that with it freeing up when you raise the vehicle than perhaps there could be a wire that is being pinched randomly when the vehicle is lowered. you should try some trial cycles to see if you can get it to happen again. lower vehicle and reverse, if it does happen again put it in park turn your hazards on and use the key fob to raise the rear of the vehicle every so lightly in increments each time stopping to see if it will reverse. if it works stop and shut vehicle off and take a look around under the rear to see if any wires are close to being pinched. If it does not work by just raising the rear than go ahead and hit the button to raise the front as well. at least you can see if it is in the rear or not.

The other and less likely cause would be the abs system, this could be locking up the rear wheels as well if there is a fault with the unit or the all terrain sensor. the abs system is used to apply brake to any wheel that it deems to be slipping so if it thinks they are than that is what would happen.

The fact that you can roll 10 feet before feeling it is puzzling. that distance would be enough for the abs to sense slippage.

Its hard to diagnose without seeing it and without being able to use my scan tools. you really should have the shop do a deep dive on the TCM BCM and ABS modules to review the events that have been recorded. There is not always a code thrown.

Without any more info to go on this is what I was able to come up with. Let me know if anything else comes up or you find a solution.
Thank you for the valuable feedback bill2019. I’m going to print this thread and bring it to the dealer for them to review. Also I may have learned something here. You said you can use the key fob to lower the rear? How?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts