RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

One of our fellow members in Italy has posted a video of the sweeping turn signal. It looks amazing.

Sounds like North America/Canada doesn’t get the sweeping turn signal?
Also that we don’t have the option to turn it on?

If that’s the case, either the Ford Mustang has slipped through or they have some special exemption? Lol

Has anyone taken delivery in NA that can confirm this?
Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I think the Ford Mustang gets through because each light is individual and not a single unit. Not sure what the exact laws are but if it's a software/programming thing (since in Europe you can turn it on and off) there has to be a way around it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Also keep in mind that Ford/Mercury have been doing it since 1968 with the California Special and Cougar. You do have an interesting point about the individual lights. :think:

·
Registered
151 Posts
The law is that a single source of light must be large enough to be considered at turn signal on its own, which is how Ford gets away with it. Each of the three lights is big enough to be considered a turn signal on its own. Audi gets away with it by making a redundant full size light above he sweeping, like on the Q5 and R8.

·
Registered
151 Posts
A single LED bulb in the sequence would need to be bright enough to be considered a turn signal by itself. For example, if the sweep took a string of 50 leds, a single one of those would have to be brightest ht enough to be a turn signal by itself to conform to US law. The rest of the world gets to have a sweep because their turn signal laws are modernized and frequently updated as technology progresses...ours don’t. European law is written to where as long as the sum of the lights in the sequence is bright enough, they’re legal. The inverse of our law.

It’s also the reason we don’t get local dimming headlight led arrays where your high beams could make a “hole” in the beam for an oncoming car so they aren’t blinded by the light while the high beam stays on.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
A single LED <s>bulb</s> in the sequence would need to be bright enough to be considered a turn signal by itself. For example, if the sweep took a string of 50 leds, a single one of those would have to be brightest ht enough to be a turn signal by itself to conform to US law. The rest of the world gets to have a sweep because their turn signal laws are modernized and frequently updated as technology progresses...ours don’t. European law is written to where as long as the sum of the lights in the sequence is bright enough, they’re legal. The inverse of our law.

It’s also the reason we don’t get local dimming headlight led arrays where your high beams could make a “hole” in the beam for an oncoming car so they aren’t blinded by the light while the high beam stays on.
But what if there are 50 LED diodes and you want to sweep in 5. Wouldn't a bank of 10 diodes be considered 1 unit and thus be bright enough to hit the requirement?

If the Mustang turn signals are LED than those 3 Mustang lights aren't 1 led diode each they are are group of many to make an entire light.

I wouldn't say LED diodes are a all the same diameter but they aren't that big when it comes to lights. TV's are a hole different <S>story</S>.

·
Registered
235 Posts
there are several members who have received delivery of their HSE Dynamic. Maybe if one is reading this he can ask read Manual and/or ask his dealer if it can be done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm looking into this (adapting the functionality on the NAR versions)... I have access to JLR SDD, not sure yet if that's enough, however... It's hard for me to believe an entire module would have to be replaced. On other vehicles, this is tied to the region the vehicle is coded to... so the region may actually have to be updated from NAR to some other region. I'll report back when I have some more information.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The reason most progressive turn signals and brake lights aren't employed in the US is because of draconian federal motor vehicle safety regulations that dictate minimum lit area of an indicator.

The progressive indicators that sweep along the rear end look cool, but each "lamp" (the laws have not been updated for LEDs) must light a minimum area for the function.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Yea... we already covered that... but thanks for the $0.50 word to drive it home. :-?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alright, still digging into this, but thought I'd share out what I know so far.

1) For folks with the RRS < 2018 model - and who want to "swap" / "retrofit" the 2018 headlights / taillights. It "may" be possible to soft-code these with a proper J2534 VCI device, and JLR SDD in North America, but would require a software update or an adaptation of the software. It appears to be possible with the current on-board hardware.

2) For folks with a 2018 model in NAR, you can do this via software, BUT you have to have the new JLR DoIP VCI tool and the Pathfinder software.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts