Range Rovers Forum banner

2018 sport - throttle delay

33K views 87 replies 31 participants last post by  GregRRS 
#1 ·
Just bought a new 2018 RR Sport HSE and it has a delay in acceleration when stopped - dealer clocked it a 0.8 second delay between when the accelerator is depressed and the car starts moving. Very dangerous when turning on to busy roads from a full stop. RR apparently doesn't have a fix. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

#4 ·
Its a known issue with the newer HSE models on both sport and full-sized but they are trying to get a fix for it (which is BS). The V8 does NOT have the same issue fyi, and yes I think it's really quite dangerous as well. The problem seems to be exacerbated when rolling at low speeds, using the manual paddles, the problem doesn't seem to be there, so it's linked to the trans as well.

#5 ·
I only have my 2019 hse dynamic for about two weeks and barely 100 miles on it and it has happened to me at least a dozen times at the worst possible times like when trying to get out of the way of an oncoming car(which just happened) seemed like forever thought i was a done for.

I tried to notice if the engine revs up when this happens because many folks say its the transmission and i dont see any increase in rpms. this is so dangerous there has to be some sort of fix. I could see trying to get used to it if it was like turbo lag if it happened on ever press of the pedal but it is totally random and it takes you by surprise.

I am especially sensitive to this because I was in a huge rollover accident with my 2002 grand cherokee when someone blew a stop sign and i was not able to get out of the way. 4 surgeries later and now disabled from it.

I had a bad flashback after tonights close call. If it cant be fixed i dont think i could live with this...

#6 ·
This is a problem with my (lemon) L494 5.0 SC as well. The lag seemed more noticeable on my second engine, and only seems to apply when accelerating while in 2nd gear (which is most times, if not always, used as the functional first gear by the vehicle, so often times it happens while accelerating from a stop).

#8 ·
Did you ever get a reason or fix for your problem?

I did some more driving around today to see if i could pinpoint it better and it happens every time i come to a quick stop at a sign or when turning around streets. It is most dangerous when pulling out of parking lot or cross street when oncoming traffic is coming and you want to gun it to merge and it sometimes takes 2 seconds to kick in. Im sure it seems to approaching traffic as if i stalled in front of them.

It is really only noticeable at low speed or rolling starts and when i press the throttle the engine does not rev up for the delay period. I am very sick about this and really hope there is a fix because i waited so long for this and i love the truck even with its quirks. If they cannot solve this for my I will not be able to drive this its too dangerous, It only takes one time for things to go real bad.

I am hoping they can correct this.

#18 ·
Can you take a video and post?
See if others are experiencing the exact same thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I will be getting to that as soon as the weather gets a bit better. I plan on doing this so i can show the dealer just have to figure a way of videoing my foot and the road at the same time LOL.

Dwboston it unfortunately is not that dont have terrain response 2 even. I have tried ever mode possible and the symptoms that are display are nothing like the adjustment of throttle response that those modes provide.

#7 ·
I have never had a delay from a stand still, however three separate times I've been in low gear and going up a hill I try to accelerate (drop a gear) and nothing happens so I release the pedal and slam it to the floor and then it kicks down. Again, only 3-4x it's happened but still very weird. 2016 RRS v8 dynamic

#10 ·
Happens occasionally to me as well, with SCV8, in dynamic mode, and the Velocity tune.

I'll push the pedal and nothing happens. Usually I'll release and try again, and finally the engine responds and it kinda bucks then accelerates like crazy because the pedal is mashed at this point.

#13 ·
Nothing yet I am still trying to calm down from the last nightmare i had with them not doing anything to address the issues and updates with my 2019 fpace I will not be going to that dealership anymore i need to find another one that will act professional.

Be sure to pay attention quick stops and go's while driving bring the car down to a near crawl and then try an accelerate. Do this many different ways do a quick stop and go turning around corners after you are clear of cross traffic. basically check it in every possible normal driving condition. I made the mistake of signing for it first without driving it, if i did i would have noticed it. I picked it up Christmas Eve so I wasn't really focused.

To this day I have less than 250 Miles on it because I am uneasy driving it and if it wasnt for the crazy lack of help from the dealership and the disrespect shown to me by JLRNA I would have brought it in. It can be really upsetting and shouldnt be I just dont like the confrontation dont need the stress.

If there is any sign of this DO NOT take it wait for another one.

#14 ·
My experience over 55,000 miles has been closer to nrb123's and not bill2019's which does sound scary. I have a 2016 so maybe it's a bigger issue in newer vehicles?

For me it's more annoying than anything else. It's usually when I'm trying to speed up in the passing lane, not from a standstill.

#15 ·
I drove my car last night (scheduled to take delivery on Wednesday) and didn't notice any severe delay. I drove around local roads for a little bit to try different situations. I noticed the pedal isn't super sensitive and sometimes the transmission takes a split second to decide to give a lower gear (going up a hill) but did not notice an instance where the pedal was just unresponsive for a full second or so like bill2019 was describing. I just hope I don't discover it after taking delivery. Problems with no fix (or ones that are intermittent) are a nightmare.

#17 ·
Has anyone seen this post from the L405 sub-forum? https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/2...v8-hesitation-acceleration-2.html#post2250672

It says that Auto mode on the terrain response system can play a role in throttle delay when the ambient temp outside is at or below freezing. Can anyone who is having these issues validate that? If it's as simple as taking the terrain response system out of Auto mode, that would be amazing.

#19 ·
It's happened to me while in dynamic mode which I drive most of the time unless it's raining heavily, so it's not as simple as staying out of auto mode.

#21 ·
Yeah ricks thanks for the advice but the peddle commander only changes the parameters of the throttle response similar to the way the different drive modes do. This unfortunately will not help our problem because it is a lack of communication response to the ecu/engine any modifications with a device as yours will not help but thanks anyway..

#22 ·
Ok did a little testing and investigating. after speaking with a service manager and others jlr is planning on issuing a software patch to try and alleviate the delay, this probably is just going to be a change in adaptions for transmission and throttle. It seems that the biggest problem is when the wheel is turned at slow speeds, I have noticed it even going straight but seems to be worse when turning.

The TCM monitors the data like speed throttle demand and rpm as well as steering angle. The reason it monitors steering angle is so it does not change gears while turning.

so after piecing this info together it kinda makes sense as to why there is a more pronounced delay while turning, while slowing down the transmission is downshifting and trying to determine what gear to select. it needs all of the above info to determine what the demand will be so if the wheel is turned it is unable to determine the correct course of action because it has a rule to not shift while the steering angle is beyond a certain parameter. all of this processing is causing a jam up.

I personally see this as a contributing factor but not the only reason. during my early testing I did notice that the rpm and throttle demand reading that the PCM and tcm reading are off, not only in time response but also in info. it seems as both the TCM and Fuel managment system read the same and lag behind what the PCM is showing. it does appear to match up with the same amount of delay that is experienced.

although i noticed this difference I still have yet to do any more testing to see how relevant this is or for a reason for the differences. I plan on doing some more investigating as time permits. Im like a dog with a bone.
I would be happy if the software solves our problem but will always need to know why.

#23 ·
Lets hope that software makes things a lot better. It would be nice if this comes down to code efficiency to clean up the CANBus or make processing the data more streamlined/faster.
The interesting thing here, is that its not only JLR dealing with this. Every vehicle with an auto trans with more than 4 gears has this issue to some degree. It all comes down to the vehicle trying to determine what gear to start in and getting to that gear when you depress the accelerator. My wifes 2006 ford explorer was the worst, and also fords first 6 speed. (Based on a ZF design, hhuumm). My 2010 Tahoe had it, and to a lesser degree my 2015 Yukon has it (8speed). I have felt it in the wifes Discovery sport (that thing was a POS) and in her F-pace. Most notably, when decelerating and slowly coming to a stop, and just when the car is about to stop, accelerate - confuses the crap out of the PCM/TCM.

#26 ·
The way this is being described, it appears to be an issue of the trans being slow to select the proper gear. Can someone try shifting this trans manually and see if the problem changes, either for better or worse? Drive by wire may also be the source, but that should show up with manual shifting as well. Ray

#28 ·
#32 ·
so, I've had this car now for exactly 2 weeks... and this IS a very noticeable, very concerning issue with this car. In my particular case, I am coming out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, so my gas peddle in that car did what it was supposed to, however, this gas peddle does NOT do what it's supposed to. It's so bad, that you go down on gas, nothing really happens, so then you go down harder on the gas until you're out of way of traffic, and the car lunges forward, throwing any cargo or items you may have in car all over the place. HOPEFULLY JLR is present on these forums, and this gets addressed sooner than later. Like perhaps this supposed software update on April 1, would be great..

#36 ·
this gas peddle does NOT do what it's supposed to. It's so bad, that you go down on gas, nothing really happens, so then you go down harder on the gas until you're out of way of traffic, and the car lunges forward, throwing any cargo or items you may have in car all over the place. HOPEFULLY JLR is present on these forums, and this gets addressed sooner than later. Like perhaps this supposed software update on April 1, would be great..
Same issue with my 2015 SC V8. Hopefully they come up with a solution and someone posts it here. The throttle delay is really annoying, and sometimes dangerous.

#33 ·
How does one track if there are updates for the particular model and spec for your truck? I assume the fix you are discussing is not the same as the infotainment updates, correct?

The dealers are not proactive about letting existing owners know about updates - for example, I had no idea 19A was out and would like to understand what's included and should I go demand the update.

Also, in the post by bill2019, the link indicates to "raise a EPQR". Do user complaints help drive this to reality?

#34 ·
From what i have gathered the issue is all because if towing torque But i think they screwed up when programming the curves. The transmission is capable of kicking in right away just like it does on the jaguars but Jaguars were not meant for towing and if you had the transmission kick in hard and you were towing that would destroy the transmission. They wanted to keep the towing capacity up. With that said they should have had multiple adaptations for those who tow and those who dont. like if you ordered the tow package and if you did not make the customer know that if you do want to tow in the future you will be restricted or have to have an upgrade performed.

Why I and so many others are upset about this is they have known about this problem for years and just sat on it. they had many opportunities to change things and have not, instead they kept telling dealers to say its within specs and nothing can be done. some have opted to not pick up there vehicle after service not fixing the issue (this will be me if the no fix comes). this is why they said at the bottom of the SSM if that would happen they would have to open a case fill with JLR.

To answer your question as to how you find out..... You really have to do research, they will not be forthcoming unless there is a problem or the new update is recall status. One way to stay up on things is to sign up for topix as a individual repairer and monitor all the SSM and Technical bulletins. You will only be able to see the headings unless you have a paid subscription but it will give you a heads up to look into it further.

you are in the us so you can also go to https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls and enter your year and make and you will be able to view any TSB that pertain to your vehicle. Now they are like two months behind with the updates as of today they only have up to the end of January. After they post the newest ones it can take a week or so before they have added the actual SSM document that relates to it. so check back often.

Now to your final question about opening a complaint. Yes you should open a complaint so you are on file doing so will require them to answer to it and even if they dont fix it you have covered yourself with notifying them.

#35 ·
It's important to file an NHTSA complaint in the US if anyone has had a situation where safety was compromised due to this issue. The NHTSA will pay attention if enough owners report issues where the car basically refused to respond when pulling into traffic and put them in danger.

#37 ·
While waiting for my 2019.5 RRS ATB to be built and delivered I've been checking out the Audi Q8 forum over at Audiworld and found something interesting. The owners over there are complaining about the same thing. The throttle lags noticeably from rolling/incomplete stops. They're convinced it's the start/stop system. I'm interested to see what the upcoming software update from JLR does, if anything.

#39 ·
I'm glad I found this forum. I too have this exact same issue. I have a 2018 HSE Dynamic and this lag is terrible. As other's have mentioned, it happens when you are rolling into a turn and not stopped entirely (for ex. a left turn not completely stopped or green right turn). Then, when it finally does kick in, it jerks - although probably because it forces you to put the pedal down to move. This seriously drives me insane and it is dangerous. I have been told from my dealer that a fix is coming this month (in April 2019) but I'm not holding my breath. If anyone has a fix that would be great.

#40 ·
Unfortunately there's not really just a fix that any of us can just do to the car. Otherwise someone would have posted, and we'd have done it by now... like years ago, that is apparently how long this has been going on. Having had my RRS now for almost 2 mos, I CAN say, you kind of get used to it, and just know to not try to drive these cars aggressively, or pull into traffic, until all clear. Perhaps JLR just wants us all to drive like miss daisy, not sure. And when I say you get used to it, nowhere in that statement do I say it's ANY safer. It's still a very serious, annoying & dangerous issue with an otherwise remarkable.
I have NOT opened my complaint with the NHTSA, but plan to do so soon, just to be on record.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.