RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for tuning solution for a 2018 Land Rover SC 5.0 Autobiography LWB model.

I’ve looked into Renntech, RSC Tuning, ECU Tuning Group, etc but they all require the car in person.

Looking at doing the SC pulley upgrade and tune all at once.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The best solution is to not mess with it. The blower on these cars literally falls apart if you start screwing around with the pulley size. It'll immediately be on borrowed time (depending on the boost). First you'll be dealing with a new snout coupler when the blower begins sounding like it is full of rocks at idle, then you'll be chasing bad case, shaft and snout bearings, that's all after the rotor Teflon flakes off. Also whatever you see online or read for horsepower, consider that is some tuner trying to sell their product. In the real world when you overboost a roots blower it'll make decent power for one pull or two pulls. When you start making back to back pulls it generates so much heat all of your gains begin falling apart. You beat on it enough it'll just cannibalize itself eventually.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The best solution is to not mess with it. The blower on these cars literally falls apart if you start screwing around with the pulley size. It'll immediately be on borrowed time (depending on the boost). First you'll be dealing with a new snout coupler when the blower begins sounding like it is full of rocks at idle, then you'll be chasing bad case, shaft and snout bearings, that's all after the rotor Teflon flakes off. Also whatever you see online or read for horsepower, consider that is some tuner trying to sell their product. In the real world when you overboost a roots blower it'll make decent power for one pull or two pulls. When you start making back to back pulls it generates so much heat all of your gains begin falling apart. You beat on it enough it'll just cannibalize itself eventually.
Yep these eat parts under normal use what do you think will happen when you tell it “510 HP isn’t enough”?

I’d only advocate such an upgrade if you stay OFF the pedal and use it strictly for low end grunt, and the occasional on-ramp and passing lane antics.

The upgrades don’t give you much (~55 HP) but will put you up in SVR territory. I’d be interested in a tune that removes some of the torque management and crisps the throttle response. You won’t be making any “more” power but it will feel like it at every stop light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I picked up my new AB in 2015, I was approached (surprisingly) by the service manager and salesman as to whether I was interested in the tuning. They indicated about a 10%+ horsepower increase. I didn’t really think too much about so it was an impulse buy on my part. They did the pulley upgrade and the software upgrade. And in actuality, I didn’t even get a chance to drive the RR the first time until the upgrade was completed. So I wasn’t able to compare, with tuning, and without tuning. But it was fast. I drive a lot of highway driving, so I appreciated the power. Fast forward. I picked up a 2020 AB in Sept. I didn’t do the tuning this time. Though I’m pleased with the 2020 current power, I can now really appreciate the significant difference with tuned 2015. And I say significant. When I traded the 2015, I spoke with the service manager, and he indicated the tuned 2015 was closer to 600 HP.
Here is the caveat. I did this the first time because it was a RR dealer. I really don’t know if this was sanctioned by the dealer mgmt. And the warranty issue was important to me. But I did send off an email confirming this upgrade with the the sales person and the biz mgr. They said I had nothing to worry about as far as the warranty. They would take care of any issues. So I felt safe.
Would I do this again? No I wouldn’t. Every time I brought the RR in for service, the latest software could never be uploaded as it would interfere with tuning software. And I had to constantly remind the service writer about this. But I did miss out on 5 years worth of software upgrades. Note that this is an authorized LR dealer. But I would never allow anyone to touch the engine while under warranty. But I do miss the power and the exhaust sound. Sorry for the long winded ‘story.’

·
Registered
139 Posts
bump anymore thoughts

You can do a handheld tune that will give you some gains and you can also do the SVR style pops and bangs. I am considering it and leaving the pulley and all else stock.

Just a tune to load more power and noise.

·
Registered
286 Posts
IMO that sounds terrible. Too raspy and loud for my taste.
I have watched video after video and * unless you have an actual SVR with full exhaust *, even the supercharged 5.0 is just too smooth/mellow to sound better with just a muffler swap.

One of the only vehicles I can think of where I’d not do a single thing to the exhaust. Strange to say (again, unless actual SVR) but it sounds best at stock.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have watched video after video and * unless you have an actual SVR with full exhaust *, even the supercharged 5.0 is just too smooth/mellow to sound better with just a muffler swap.

One of the only vehicles I can think of where I’d not do a single thing to the exhaust. Strange to say (again, unless actual SVR) but it sounds best at stock.

Agreed! IMO The SVR doesn't sound good either... These exhausts that find their way onto these vehicles don't sounded tuned to me. They're just very raspy, drone, crackle and pop in an annoying way under any back pressure. Almost as if the only criteria is to be loud/noticeable vs tuned. Out of any exhaust I've heard magnaflow sounds the best, throaty and optimized not to sound horrid. Then again a company like manaflow has R&D, quality control and can replicate their product over and over again whereas most of the aftermarket exhausts for these rigs are very low production with little concern for how it actually sounds... just that is is loud.

The magnaflow is just right if you're going to bother... tho I wouldn't even bother personally.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The SVR is really loud.

I removed my resonator and it sounds 50% of the SVR with no drone or rasp.

My F10 M5 was totally catless with no mufflers or resonators or catalytic convertors it was super loud. When I would start the car in the garage the other cars parked in the garage would have their alarms go off.

I am only 25 so it is a acquired taste for exhausts like that. I feel you grow out of it as you "mature'. I got sick of driving lowered cars on coilovers and excessive wheel spin. I am sure its only a matter of time before I am tired of the noise too.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The SVR is really loud.

I removed my resonator and it sounds 50% of the SVR with no drone or rasp.

My F10 M5 was totally catless with no mufflers or resonators or catalytic convertors it was super loud. When I would start the car in the garage the other cars parked in the garage would have their alarms go off.

I am only 25 so it is a acquired taste for exhausts like that. I feel you grow out of it as you "mature'. I got sick of driving lowered cars on coilovers and excessive wheel spin. I am sure its only a matter of time before I am tired of the noise too.
I think as you get older you start appreciating what a good exhaust actually sounds like vs something that is just loud and overly raspy popping and banging etc etc.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Agreed! IMO The SVR doesn't sound good either... These exhausts that find their way onto these vehicles don't sounded tuned to me. They're just very raspy, drone, crackle and pop in an annoying way under any back pressure. Almost as if the only criteria is to be loud/noticeable vs tuned. Out of any exhaust I've heard magnaflow sounds the best, throaty and optimized not to sound horrid. Then again a company like manaflow has R&D, quality control and can replicate their product over and over again whereas most of the aftermarket exhausts for these rigs are very low production with little concern for how it actually sounds... just that is is loud.

The magnaflow is just right if you're going to bother... tho I wouldn't even bother personally.
The only good-ish sound I could find was...

After all we are talking about a 2018 S/C. I’ve heard precisely 0 of the L320/L322 that sound good with an aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The only good-ish sound I could find was...

After all we are talking about a 2018 S/C. I’ve heard precisely 0 of the L320/L322 that sound good with an aftermarket exhaust.

That sounds beyond terrible to me... Reminds me of some rusted out dodge pickup where the exhaust has just fallen off at the manifold.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The l320/l322 supercharged modes (l320/l322) 5.0 motor is the same motor thats used in the current RRS and RR 5.0 SC.

The older SVR 15-17 had a louder and more obnoxious exhaust, 2018 and on have toned down quite a bit. I really like the pop while upshifting on the SVR. Reminds me of the sound you get when shifting in a DCT/MCT car.

Here is a exhaust setup on the old RRS with the same 5.0SC that sounds DECENT.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts