RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Sorry if this has been covered before, but I did a quick search and did not find a fullsome discussion.

I am picking up my 2018 RRS Dynamic next thursday from the dealer. I have the numbers for a few insurance plans and I wanted to go in ready to make a decision. As I see things there are really three things to consider (extended warranty, tire plan and prepaid maintenance). I am giving you my thoughts on each, but I would love your feedback.

1. Extended Warranty

The price for the '18 has gone up a bit. The additional three year (for a total of 7 years) and 75k plan will run you about $5000. You can up it to 100k for $5600. I think this is a good investment and peace of mind that if (a big if) something goes wrong in the out years, it is covered. If nothing goes wrong, then it was just another payment to the man.

2. Tire Plan

The price for the no deductable tire plan is $1500. This covered tire damage and rim damage. This one seems a little expensive, but I think replacing 22 inch tires could be upwards of $600 each. I hate plugged tires so I feel like I need to have at least two flats for this to be covered. Plus if there is any rim damage, this covers it. What do you think about this one?

3. Prepaid Maintenance

The price is $1500 and covers 4 maintenances (12k, 24k, 36k and 48k). I checked the regular service price for a maintenance and its about $900. So this one seems like an absolute no brainer. Yes, you are prepaying but its almost 50% off. I plan on taking it only to the LR dealer anyway. Agree with me?

I guess the tl;dr is that I will get all three plans even though the tire plan seems a bit expensive.

Thanks,
Joseph

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you plan on keeping the Range for more than 4 years, the warranty is a must, that’s when things start breaking.

The tire and rim is the one I get no matter how long I plan on keeping mine. A single tire is 500-600 but if hit a pothole hard enough to dent a rim a replacement will be in the thousands.

The prepaid maintenance is usually a good deal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just voluntarily replaced all four wheels and tires on mine. Out the door cost for 4 wheels, 4 new TPMS and 4 tires was $2200. I kept the originals...

The extended warranty to me doesn’t make any sense. I don’t keep my vehicles long enough for them to ever pay off. Every time I go into it buying a vehicle thinking this is the perfect one and I will never want another vehicle but then a couple years down the road I am looking for something else. A combo of I get bored and want the newest tech/performance etc. Or I go the complete opposite way and want an old classic that is simple... bottom line though, I have never had a warranty pay for itself. And often it’s a PITA to get them to actually cover anything.

You can put the $5600 and $1500 aside to help off set the costs if anything does break. Then if it doesn’t you still have your money.

The prepaid maintenance makes by far the most sense to me. Maintaining your vehicle properly is the easiest way to help ensure it is running its best. This will provide the longevity and happy use you will expect from it. If you plan on having your vehicle that long then definitely get this. IMHO...

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,142 Posts
Wow $5000 now for 7 years 75k miles? I went with the extended warranty as this was my first LR product, but so far my vehicle has been solid. As they increase the price of the warranty it may be a harder sell in the future.

I didn't get rim and tire insurance. I have 22" but fortunately rarely if ever park on a curb, and the Florida weather is good with less potholes. I went to my local tire place (similar to Discount Tire) and had them adopt the tires for road hazard warranty. Was much cheaper. If your main concern is tire damage look into this option. The $1500 is only worth it if you are really worried about the rims getting damaged. Worse case get the full size spare option and you can always swap out at least one rim!

I also got prepaid maintenance plan. I asked the dealer for the cost of the first four year services and did the simple math. Worth it to me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
what does the prepaid maintenance cover besides oil changes? Are you saying regular price is $900 for one service visit???

Can't believe the warranty went up that much. I also think that is a no brainer as I plan on keeping my 2018 for a while.

Hi. Sorry if this has been covered before, but I did a quick search and did not find a fullsome discussion.

I am picking up my 2018 RRS Dynamic next thursday from the dealer. I have the numbers for a few insurance plans and I wanted to go in ready to make a decision. As I see things there are really three things to consider (extended warranty, tire plan and prepaid maintenance). I am giving you my thoughts on each, but I would love your feedback.

1. Extended Warranty

The price for the '18 has gone up a bit. The additional three year (for a total of 7 years) and 75k plan will run you about $5000. You can up it to 100k for $5600. I think this is a good investment and peace of mind that if (a big if) something goes wrong in the out years, it is covered. If nothing goes wrong, then it was just another payment to the man.

2. Tire Plan

The price for the no deductable tire plan is $1500. This covered tire damage and rim damage. This one seems a little expensive, but I think replacing 22 inch tires could be upwards of $600 each. I hate plugged tires so I feel like I need to have at least two flats for this to be covered. Plus if there is any rim damage, this covers it. What do you think about this one?

3. Prepaid Maintenance

The price is $1500 and covers 4 maintenances (12k, 24k, 36k and 48k). I checked the regular service price for a maintenance and its about $900. So this one seems like an absolute no brainer. Yes, you are prepaying but its almost 50% off. I plan on taking it only to the LR dealer anyway. Agree with me?

I guess the tl;dr is that I will get all three plans even though the tire plan seems a bit expensive.

Thanks,
Joseph

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what does the prepaid maintenance cover besides oil changes? Are you saying regular price is $900 for one service visit???

Can't believe the warranty went up that much. I also think that is a no brainer as I plan on keeping my 2018 for a while.
From the service sheet it covers:

oil and filters, pollen filter, air cleaner element, brake fluid, fuel filter, inspections

It costs $900 (i know ridiculously high) but I would still only let a dealer service it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The tire wheel thing is going to be a decision based on the road conditions you have. People in Atlanta swear that it is money well spent. I am in Alabama and the roads here are pretty good. Have put almost 30k miles on my 21” Michelin tires with no issues. I just took my diesel in for the 2nd service $945. Zero problems to report. 2 software updates 1 of them will take 2 hours to perform. The second service includes rotate and balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok guys my V6 HSE gets in next week! I got this from my dealer. That extended warranty price is a no brainer! My question for anyone on here is does anyone have any experience with the "zurich sheild". This seems like a decent price for protection of the inside and outside! Im just curoius how well it works. See some mixed reviews online so I want to know if anyone has it on their rover ans what they think.

1.[FONT=&quot]
VEHICLE SERVICE CONTRACT: this takes the 4yr/50k mile coverage that is provided no charge from Land Rover and DOUBLES that to 8yrs or 100k miles. This coverage is everything on the vehicle except for wear items like brakes, tires, wiper blades, maint, filters, hoses, etc. Coverage retains the $0 deductible. Good at any state licensed repair facility. Cost to stay fully protected DOUBLE the time is $3421 plus tax[/FONT]
2.[FONT=&quot] ZURICH SHIELD: this is a double protection product where the interior AND exterior of your vehicle are treated with advanced chemicals that will resist wear and damage but the product is also comes with a warranty for life if the product fails. The polymer applied to the exterior acts just like a wax but is permanent and protects against things like acid rain, salt etching, loss of gloss. On the interior (where we do see most of our claims because of the fine materials our cars are crafted with) the entire inside is treated with corresponding products. Leather, dash, doors, floors, cargo area, head liner. Warranty covers against rips, stains, tears, premature wear, loose seem stitching, etc. LOTS MORE TO COVER HERE IN DETAIL! Cost for this is $699 plus tax[/FONT]
3.[FONT=&quot] ZURICH BUNDLE: this is truly a catch all and fills the gaps between what a standard manufacturer covers and what your auto insurance covers. It’s a Road Hazard Tire policy that gives you a $2500 claim limit on wheels, tires, tire pressure monitoring system with a $0 deductible. Damage to rims, cracks, punctured or ruined tires, etc. includes repair or replacement. Does not cover normal wear but will cover the next set of tires you purchase until the end of 5 years from original date of sale. The second facet of the bundle is our luxury vehicle customers FAVORITE. It’s the cosmetic coverage. Cosmetic damage to rims. Paintless dent repair to cover dings and dents. Sins done in parking lots, door dings, shopping carts. And then windshield repair. Cost is $879 plus tax[/FONT]
4.[FONT=&quot] KEY REPLACEMENT: this coverage becomes more popular as the replacement cost of keys goes up. 5 year policy replaces 1 key every year. Lost, stolen, broken, etc. $ 0 deductable. Cost of this coverage is $289 plus tax[/FONT]
5.[FONT=&quot] XPEL CLEAR FRONT END APPLICATION: this is a custom cut crystal clear (unnoticeable) wrap of the front of your new Rover. Full hood, full front bumper and lower fascia, full front quarter panels, caps of side view mirrors, cups behind all 4 door handles, and the edge of all 4 passenger doors. This product is the pinnacle of protection and covers all impact points from stone chips, impact abrasion, etc. combined with ZURICH SHIELD it provides the ultimate protection so your vehicle not only looks great while you are driving it but also maintains TOP resale value. Cost is $1599 plus tax.[/FONT]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok guys my V6 HSE gets in next week! I got this from my dealer. That extended warranty price is a no brainer! My question for anyone on here is does anyone have any experience with the "zurich sheild". This seems like a decent price for protection of the inside and outside! Im just curoius how well it works. See some mixed reviews online so I want to know if anyone has it on their rover ans what they think.

VEHICLE SERVICE CONTRACT: this takes the 4yr/50k mile coverage that is provided no charge from Land Rover and DOUBLES that to 8yrs or 100k miles. This coverage is everything on the vehicle except for wear items like brakes, tires, wiper blades, maint, filters, hoses, etc. Coverage retains the $0 deductible. Good at any state licensed repair facility. Cost to stay fully protected DOUBLE the time is $3421 plus tax
2.ZURICH SHIELD: this is a double protection product where the interior AND exterior of your vehicle are treated with advanced chemicals that will resist wear and damage but the product is also comes with a warranty for life if the product fails. The polymer applied to the exterior acts just like a wax but is permanent and protects against things like acid rain, salt etching, loss of gloss. On the interior (where we do see most of our claims because of the fine materials our cars are crafted with) the entire inside is treated with corresponding products. Leather, dash, doors, floors, cargo area, head liner. Warranty covers against rips, stains, tears, premature wear, loose seem stitching, etc. LOTS MORE TO COVER HERE IN DETAIL! Cost for this is $699 plus tax
3.ZURICH BUNDLE: this is truly a catch all and fills the gaps between what a standard manufacturer covers and what your auto insurance covers. It’s a Road Hazard Tire policy that gives you a $2500 claim limit on wheels, tires, tire pressure monitoring system with a $0 deductible. Damage to rims, cracks, punctured or ruined tires, etc. includes repair or replacement. Does not cover normal wear but will cover the next set of tires you purchase until the end of 5 years from original date of sale. The second facet of the bundle is our luxury vehicle customers FAVORITE. It’s the cosmetic coverage. Cosmetic damage to rims. Paintless dent repair to cover dings and dents. Sins done in parking lots, door dings, shopping carts. And then windshield repair. Cost is $879 plus tax
4.KEY REPLACEMENT: this coverage becomes more popular as the replacement cost of keys goes up. 5 year policy replaces 1 key every year. Lost, stolen, broken, etc. $ 0 deductable. Cost of this coverage is $289 plus tax
5.XPEL CLEAR FRONT END APPLICATION: this is a custom cut crystal clear (unnoticeable) wrap of the front of your new Rover. Full hood, full front bumper and lower fascia, full front quarter panels, caps of side view mirrors, cups behind all 4 door handles, and the edge of all 4 passenger doors. This product is the pinnacle of protection and covers all impact points from stone chips, impact abrasion, etc. combined with ZURICH SHIELD it provides the ultimate protection so your vehicle not only looks great while you are driving it but also maintains TOP resale value. Cost is $1599 plus tax.
I would never pay for a "coating" unless it was xpel. i dont think you need both. The extended warranty is from the manufacturer or the dealer?

·
Registered
42 Posts
the dealer had said they use a couple vendors for the extended warranty. I'm not which one he quoted, but I remember one of the two vendors they use is continental.

I would never pay for a "coating" unless it was xpel. i dont think you need both. The extended warranty is from the manufacturer or the dealer?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,142 Posts
That zurich stuff sounds like the cilajet that other dealers try to offer (Including mine). I would pass on anything that a dealer detailer wants to do honestly. If they sub out that would be better but then you are paying more to go through the dealer.

Ceramic coating like opticoat/cquartz are good but I haven't really heard anything about zurich.

Key replacement I would pass on. That price for extended warranty is a no brainer I agree, just make sure there's no loopholes for them to get out of work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The warranty is bumper to bumper and from continental which is the only vendor they use for their ranges. He even took $500 off so now it is at $2921 for an extra 4 years/50k miles.

He said there is no real savings on prepaying maintenance and what it costs when I do it. Weird since most of guys say its a great deal. Maybe the dealer charges lower service fees in my region?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The warranty is bumper to bumper and from continental which is the only vendor they use for their ranges. He even took $500 off so now it is at $2921 for an extra 4 years/50k miles.

He said there is no real savings on prepaying maintenance and what it costs when I do it. Weird since most of guys say its a great deal. Maybe the dealer charges lower service fees in my region?
After a quick google search it seems like they arent the easiest to put claims in with vs the original warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ah the “infamous” prepaid maintenance plans... I still have a twinge of anger and grind my teeth when I hear them mentioned. Rewind to 1 year ago when I popped into my local dealership “just to look” and after doing exactly what I promised myself I wouldn’t do - fall in love with the vehicle and sign on the dotted line that day - I was speaking with the sales guy about various things. Let me first say oh how they LOVE to push their aftermarket add-one from changing the lettering to black, painting the lower trim (like the Dynamics have), as well as painting the rims... all items I found rather curious to be pushing a client to do on a leased vehicle being that I assumed the leasing co would frown on such permanent changes to the vehicle. Anyway, I graciously declined all of the above not just because their pricing was what I found to be exorbitant (then again what dealer isn’t?) but likewise because as much as I loved the vehicle, this was my “getting my feet wet” again with Land Rover after a very bad experience previously - along the lines of several years ago returning a new vehicle just 2 weeks after taking delivery and swearing I’d never touch one again.

Long story short, I asked him about prepaid maintenance plans to which I was met with absolute insistence (even after asking multiple times) that Land Rover had just recently stopped offering them and as such you couldn’t buy one. In hindsight, I should have continued to press the issue - with a different sales person if necessary - but knowing my driving habits and the fact that I’ll only have the vehicle for 3 years max, I let it go. The only thing I can figure is that the dealership mark up on the pay as you go service must be quite a nice profit margin for them if they go as far as to refuse to sell a prepaid package.

As I said though, my out of pocket costs probably won’t be that high over the duration of the lease - just the other week (and the vehicle being just shy of 1 year into the lease already) was the first service on it! I’m sure most of you can guess just how few miles I put on it - not that I don’t love the vehicle, it’s just not a daily driver for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts