Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a few tidbits on Topix just now:

Engines:
rrs engines.jpg
Transmissions, including new Hybrid option:
rrs18.jpg

Sure, all this rumored previously, but interesting to see it confirmed in Topix.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
903 Posts
Sadly We wont get all of those options.

But still interesting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
my guess this is the year of the full update all across. hpefully LR will land the new XE 600 hp engine in the SVR and FS to compete with bentley and the upcoming X5M
i'm waiting for the 600hp V8 to go into the SVR before i buy. hopefully it will happen for the '18 model and not the '19.

even better if there's a slight refresh... in particular i think the LED signature on the RRS could be updated to be the more angular design of the current Evoque and Velar, instead of the rounded style now. if they did that, they wouldn't need to touch the body.

·
Banned
305 Posts
'18 XJR got the 575 hp version not the 600. maybe the extra 25 need lots of other tuning or overall character doesn't fit the XJ. SVR- we'll see.
i'm waiting for the 600hp V8 to go into the SVR before i buy. hopefully it will happen for the '18 model and not the '19.

even better if there's a slight refresh... in particular i think the LED signature on the RRS could be updated to be the more angular design of the current Evoque and Velar, instead of the rounded style now. if they did that, they wouldn't need to touch the body.

·
Registered
289 Posts
my guess this is the year of the full update all across. hpefully LR will land the new XE 600 hp engine in the SVR and FS to compete with bentley and the upcoming X5M

I think I'm going to wait for the 2018 SVR. There is some stuff on the net showing a refresh but I haven't seen anything that suggests they will bring the 575 or 600 engine to the SVR yet?
Have you found anything more?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone know anything credible about the 2018 SVR? Land Rover has been doing a pretty good job at keeping it a secret if they plan on updating it. I drive a '15 V8 Dynamic and have been waiting to upgrade to an SVR for a few months now as I held back on the 17's because of the rumours of a new one. Still havent seen anything credible on it though. Would suck to get a '17 SVR now and have a new one come out...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey guys, I plan on ordering an 18 RRS when that info becomes available. I have a question about wheels. I really like the black gloss rims, and I see they make the style "520" in black but on the 2017 brochure it says "accessory fit only". What does that mean? Is there no extra charge I would be able to pay to switch out the regular style "520" that comes standard on the HSE with the gloss black version? Or would I have to order the wheels separate? If someone could explain how that works that would be great. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
16 Posts
What's the point of changing v8 dynamic on SVR? They have absolutely identical engines, transmissions. The only technical differences are done with suspension. The rest is just remapping.

·
Registered
289 Posts
What's the point of changing v8 dynamic on SVR? They have absolutely identical engines, transmissions. The only technical differences are done with suspension. The rest is just remapping.
I wanted to get a sports car (probably an FType) but with 2 young kids and another along the way, It would have been too impractical; least for me.

I test tried out the 2017 SVR and compared to the 2016 V8 dynamic it felt 'stronger'. I don't know about faster exactly, but shifts felt harder and faster. Mind you, it could have been just the exhaust that makes you think it's faster? Lol

I like how loud and sporty the exhaust sounds. I feel like V8 was lacking a bit in the 'look at me' factor. I really liked the sound of the FType and this is the closest I can get without actually getting a 2 door sports car. The exhaust and the ability to drive around with the family (not in a BMW or a Mercedes) is what got me. I also like the ICPT in the 2017 vs the older 2016 infotainment. I think it's a great upgrade.

I don't really think it's worth the $30k upgrade price. But I'm willing to deal with it.

I do notice some people are doing tuning and changes to get their v8s, which makes sense!
Fingers crossed they do an update for 2018 SVR.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hey guys, I plan on ordering an 18 RRS when that info becomes available. I have a question about wheels. I really like the black gloss rims, and I see they make the style "520" in black but on the 2017 brochure it says "accessory fit only". What does that mean? Is there no extra charge I would be able to pay to switch out the regular style "520" that comes standard on the HSE with the gloss black version? Or would I have to order the wheels separate? If someone could explain how that works that would be great. Thanks guys!
Means the wheels are only available as accessories and not an option from the factory. Whether they change this in 2018 remains to be seen. Options either are to get the silver 520 and powder coat them (cheapest option by far), find somebody selling the black rims for cheaper (i.e. anywhere but from a dealer--there are reputable sellers on ebay but you have to research) or asking the dealer for some sort of deal to swap them out at delivery. I've never done this but my guess is it'll be rather expensive to do so as dealers charge a lot for factory rims, and I'm not sure what kind of deal they do for dealer take-offs.

·
Registered
8 Posts

and there's your new headlights for the Sport. (open additional pics)

looks good. def keeps it current. looks very Velar-ish...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Good catch. Interesting how they put Disco Sport like rims on the L494 and the 21" L494 rims on the L405.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After driving a Velar this weekend and playing with the ICTPD, I'm ok not having it. Theres no real incremental value over the buttons, and if anything it's worse since stuff is buried in menus. It's one of those things that looks cool, but really doesn't add much value over the regular ICTP with full TFT instrument panel.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
There's also the up keep. It is a finger print haters worst nightmare. Not like a phone or tablet you can just wipe on your jeans. I can think of a few folks that will be cursing at the high gloss touch surface and how every spec of dust, smear and scratch are going to show.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts