RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 RRS Diesel. This is my 3rd RRS but my first Diesel. The vehicle has a serious hesitation issue when accelerating from a dead stop.

The local Dealer's Tech stated this is typical of a diesel but I don't accept that. I have driven diesels for the past 30 years and have not experienced this with any other diesel.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The hesitation is attributable to the turbocharger and is normal. It is particularly noticeable if you aggressively accelerate from a dead stop. Try not to floor it and instead accelerate more gradually. It takes a bit of getting used to but after a while the turbo lag is not very noticeable in most instances. I have had my TD6 for 2.5 years (45K miles) and love it.

·
Registered
P525
210 Posts
Jim is right, but if you really don’t like it, better to change to a petrol or hybrid drive train.

I must say, the L494 6 Cyl. Diesel engine has a much bigger gap to deliver power from standstill than my former L320 6 Cyl Diesel or than similar drive trains from other brands.

In my opinion this is such a big gap, that I had fears sometimes to jump into a running buisy street.

Best René

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fit an idrive module to you accelerator and it will take a fair bit of the turbo lag out as well as give you some pretty snappy acceleration options and you can even make it less responsive when your on rocky and bumpy terrain. They cost about $270aus and you remove the plug from your pedal and plug the idrive inline. 10min job and worth every cent.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
40 Posts
Hi Banger,

I don't notice my vehicle suffering from turbo lag.

Do you still think idrive is worth the investment?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
It will do absolutely nothing for a turbo diesel. You can not change physics with an overpriced electronic gizmo box. :roll:

Turbos are just slow an plodding from a dead stop, you can not expect the turbo to kick in immediately. You have to get the RPMs up fast enough for the exhaust to spin the turbo before you get the boost. I have never experienced a lag driving the few 405 diesels I had chances to drive. Then again I know what to expect from any turbo vehicle. I've driven a few late 70's 930s, think 911. You having fun on a long winding road, in the middle nowhere and you come out of very tight turn and punch it, acceleration is never immediate on a turbo. you wait, you wait some more some more then it kicks in. The oversteer lift on old 930s was epic. If you were not used to driving one, most people just stacked them up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts