Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2121 RR Autobiography Fifty, 2019 MB E63s
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone retrofitted these lights to a 2018+ RR?

The lamp assemblies are different. I'm wondering if it's a plug-and play swap, or is additional coding required?

My E63s has these, and they're amazing.

Thanks!

JD

·
Registered
2018 L405
166 Posts
Probably not PnP. I'd imagine there would be at least one more wire for data to control the selective dimming functions of the headlamps. Then, I'd also imagine there would be more hardware involved, in the form of at least one additional module to control the lights...? Shrug.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cannot comment on the wiring as you guys over there have EcoLED headlights. But it needs coding to make it Pixel LED and it needs additional coding to make it Pixel Laser. Depends on which version you're looking to fit.

·
Registered
2121 RR Autobiography Fifty, 2019 MB E63s
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to fit the pixel LED + laser. I would need to source new headlamp assemblies. Just wondering if the wiring is compatible with NA spec vehicles, and can the vehicle be coded to make everything work properly?

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
366 Posts
I'd like to fit the pixel LED + laser. I would need to source new headlamp assemblies. Just wondering if the wiring is compatible with NA spec vehicles, and can the vehicle be coded to make everything work properly?
If anyone can help you with the retrofit it is the people at Carsystems.

·
Registered
‘16 HSE TD6 L494
58 Posts
I retro fitted them, I used to have AFS headlights, these retro’s pixels work only as headlights; all of the variables of eliminating areas of incoming traffic and and brightness during speed changes do not function as designed as that part of the system is elsewhere during their integration so they’re kinda stuck on highway mode. They’re very bright, very...at low beams and blinding at high beams. I have the euro spec model and it does do a pleasant dance while turning on, sweeping signals, fade in and out on the DRL.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The car would need to be to coded to understand that it now has the upgraded headlights and thus the new functionality. ADB will then work once this has been done.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can buy the Laser headlights but crazy price $ 6000 or so.
The chinese do a plug and play upgrade light for the older models 2014/ 2016. Then they also do upgrade for new models. I don't think they give you the fancy fading in and out for active headlights , but they work high low beam no faults.

·
Registered
639 Posts
You can buy the Laser headlights but crazy price $ 6000 or so.
The chinese do a plug and play upgrade light for the older models 2014/ 2016. Then they also do upgrade for new models. I don't think they give you the fancy fading in and out for active headlights , but they work high low beam no faults.
when you say plug and play you still have to swap the front bumper and hood correct? They aren't made to fit the stock headlight openings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes! U would need to change all that! I ordered the kit from china last weekend so i should expect it in a month or so and i’ll update here. I ordered the one with pixel so we’ll see

·
Registered
‘16 HSE TD6 L494
58 Posts
when you say plug and play you still have to swap the front bumper and hood correct? They aren't made to fit the stock headlight openings.
The headlights are a different size. You need to replace the front fenders and front fascia / bumper and all associating components. You do not have to replace the hood / bonnet.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thanks for the response guys. Not looking to replace all those body parts though to I think I'll pass. FWIW I'm fairly certain you also do have to get the 2018 plus hood

·
Registered
‘16 HSE TD6 L494
58 Posts
Thanks for the response guys. Not looking to replace all those body parts though to I think I'll pass. FWIW I'm fairly certain you also do have to get the 2018 plus hood

No, you do not have to get the 2018+ hood, here’s my 2016 TD6 with the 18+ facelift, pixel matrix headlights and a retained 2016 hood.

·
Registered
639 Posts
No, you do not have to get the 2018+ hood, here’s my 2016 TD6 with the 18+ facelift, pixel matrix headlights and a retained 2016 hood.
For L405 you will need to change the bumper, grill, and the hood, no need to change the fenders.
Right. Thats what I was saying. For the L405 you do

·
Registered
758 Posts
that’s a sport not a full-size and this a l405 full-size forum. You need hood bumper grille plus headlights plus programming.

View attachment 294399

·
Registered
13 Posts
1BD0B00C-02CB-4AD5-9579-21EB5F9FD9D4.jpeg 66C51576-B8F0-4DF7-90F5-E867F613441C.jpeg 9CF8F454-0377-423D-A154-C02E43792233.jpeg

These are the North American LED headlamps from the 2019 L405. I just installed pixel LEDs but I didn’t have my key on me when I was downstairs a minute ago taking these photos. I will post a separate message about the new ones. As you can see there are 12 possible pins on the connector, however this pair had 11. I think the 12th pin is probably for the laser highbeam (which I think I noticed isn’t even in the 2021 model year user manual),

So it doesn’t seem like a very smart extra expense to me to even get that and try to make it work since it would probably only ever end up going on by accident and inviting a ticket anyway. Since Pixel and Matrix are not sold in North America I’m not trying to be too crazy about it in case they’re not approved.

I think the truck needs to go back for a different car configuration file (pathfinder CCF) and I’m very upset with my dealer at the moment so could be buying a Toughbook this evening and doing it myself. Mojo88 is exactly correct that they operate as one would expect the matrix headlamps to operate (projecting vertical sections) if you just plug them in. I’m pretty sure they didn’t finish the installation because the settings for adaptive driving beam and animated turn signal are not exposed in my menu. I posted some of what I found from Topix for y’all in a separate message.

These standard NAspec LEDDRLs almost look like they have the hardware onboard to operate as matrix headlamps (which would be an interesting implication), but I’m not an expert.

1BD0B00C-02CB-4AD5-9579-21EB5F9FD9D4.jpeg
66C51576-B8F0-4DF7-90F5-E867F613441C.jpeg
9CF8F454-0377-423D-A154-C02E43792233.jpeg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts