RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum and am in the market for either a 2017 or 2018 used RRS.

I'm reading horror story after horror story regarding the 2018s and the infotainment issues (among other issues) they've had. I find far, far fewer negative posts about the 2017 model. If anything, mostly positive experiences/reviews. The customer reviews on edmunds and cars.com in particular reflect this contrast I'm seeing between the 17 and 18 models.

I'm considering either a 17 HSE Dynamic or an 18 HSE. I'm heavily leaning towards the '17 Dynamic based on my research and because it has 8k fewer miles and has better options. But I like the extra year of warranty on the 18. So my question for the forum is for those with 2018 models, are you past the initial infotainment issues with the multiple software updates that LR rolled out? Or are you still dealing with those same issues (or other issues that are particular to the 2018s and above)? Obviously my fear is going with the 18 and then regretting it because these software issues (or new issues not present on the 17 model) haven't been sorted out yet.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
152 Posts
Get the 18 it comes with the new interior and double screens. If given the choice I wouldn’t hesitate. Issues will be covered by warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
241 Posts
My wife's 2018 V8 Sport experienced a few sporadic infotainment related issues that all seem to have settled down with the multiple software updates that have been installed. The Range Rover boot-up process is slower than most and she's learned to not start changing settings until that's completed. The main point is that all issues so far have been software. We previously had a 2003 BMW 745 that were infamous for quirky software introduced in 2002 new model make over but all were fixed with updates and we never had a problem after that. IMO, in the long run you'll appreciate having the dual screens and other updates in the 2018 model.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
298 Posts
Most are sorted.
Id only go with a 17 if it’s at a good price. 2018 was a pretty big update.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get the 18 it comes with the new interior and double screens. If given the choice I wouldn’t hesitate. Issues will be covered by warranty.

I appreciate your input. But that's my fear, those double screens... i don't want to be bringing my truck into the dealer every other month for software updates. And I haven't seen too many people complaining about the 2017 system. I'd prefer it just work, even if it means it's not the latest and greatest. I'm under the impression the 2017 system can be upgraded to have Carplay, which works great in my other car so it's hard to use anything else. And if not, then I'll just use my phone bluetooth for navigation/music. So I'm still heavily leaning towards the 2017 even though I do like the exterior refresh on the 18s unless someone can convince me that the 18s are now good to go with the most recent software update. But it appears they are still not.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any "infotainment or other issues" us MY18 owners are having...are the same as owners of MY19 and beyond are having. Most have been resolved by software updates. But there are still some 'gremlins' that will just be there. My previous MY07 had the same type of glitches every now and then for 10 years. It shouldn't be an excuse, but it's newer technology from MY18 on, so there are some unique issues. But nothing that makes me not enjoy the car every time I get in it. Or even look at it.

After the last software update (I've only had 2 updates since I got it a year ago), the only issue I still have is my HUD brightness sometimes is lower than the max brightness I have it set at. So I have to go in settings and change it back. Doesn't happen often enough to warrant a trip back to the dealer. But it is annoying. Knock on wood but...all other issues have not happened again since the last update (Ambient lighting changing color, Carplay not working after a remote start, Carlplay not loading sometimes, screens going black, rear camera not working randomly).

Aside from the new infotainment, I like the headlights, taillights, exhaust pipes, and other minor cosmetic features on the MY18+.

Maybe your bigger question is the HSE Dymanic for the 17 vs the HSE for the 18 if the subtle cosmetic changes aren't a big deal to you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forum moderator - why don’t I see my follow up comment?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input! You guys sure made me think hard, but I ended up purchasing the '17 HSE Dynamic today. It was a close call though. Fuji white with the 22 inch black wheels/black roof and loaded with options. And got it at a good price too. Looking forward to learning more about (and of course driving) this wonderful vehicle. My wife was leaning towards the 2020 Merc GLE we test drove but I talked some sense into her. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts