RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also follow a RRS thread in the UK and there are buyers who are having problems with the monitors/center console. LR is aware of this issue is what they say. There are a couple go guys who returned their vehicles because he could not get a straight answer on the fix time.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like short circuit stuff. Also happens when car is of. I think someone on this site is having the same problem and wanted to track it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a short circuit issue too but with the backup camera. Backup camera didn’t work on day 1. dealer diagnosed it wansnt plugged in all the way from the factory and short circuited. They overnighted a replacement and has worked great ever since. Sucks to have an issue like that from day 1 of ownership but the dealer bent over backwards to get it corrected right away. Been over 2 weeks now and no other issues. Dual screens work great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2018 Sport is having the screen issues. Both screens short circuited and went into an endless reboot cycle. Brought it in to the dealer on Saturday - and they are unable to flash the computer. They have a new one on order that should hopefully be here sometime in the next week (I'll refrain from making a snarky Fedex comment.) Then reinstall the new computer, and flash to the latest version (which may or may not have any bug fixes, but is not the same as the original version my vehicle had, and is not the big update coming in the next few weeks.)

Apparently, the same issue is happening to the dealership president's 2018 full sized RR. So there has been a lot of brainpower spent here getting it fixed

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are definitely gremlins in the system but I sort of expected that given that the new 3 screen setup is new for 2018. I've not had the endless re-boot issue or flickering as others reported. However, I do get random stuff popping up on the screen as I'm driving, or if you 'click' on an item, it bounces but never launches. I also noticed I only have 3G service on the cellular data; tech at the dealership said that the 4G service hasn't been rolled out yet for 2018 vehicles (I hope they don't wait much longer as the 2018 MY are almost over, and this 4G service isn't available outside the USA from what I understand). Likely unrelated but I got a notice yesterday that an updated navigation map is also available for download but when accessing the website to do the update, I can't determine how/where to get the update downloaded! :)

So definitely some oddities - but nothing as serious as others are reporting. I'm sure it'll get better over time with software updates. I wish there was a way to stay informed as to when firmware/software updates are available. Ford SYNC can download its updates directly over your home WIFI and install it; I see there is an update feature on the new Touch Pro Duo system so I'm really REALLY hoping it'll do the same rather than a trip to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
There is a big update for the flickering (and possibly to the rebooting) issues, but it's just another bulletin.
It might be worth noting that my car, along with many others', spent an additional several days in Baltimore due to these issues/updates. According to my dealer, JLR NA insisted on getting a certain VIN range taken care of for these problems at the port.
So I just got the note yesterday that the invoice arrived to the dealer & my car is on a transport truck.

FWIW, I fully disagree with the "model year is almost over" talk. Some dealers might pretend that they're familiar with JLR's plans for '19 but they have just as much of an insight as anyone on this board. JLR doesn't share their plans with dealers, because they're independent franchises and can decide to leave the Land Rover brand tomorrow. Keep that in mind when you believe such hints.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Very well put. The "rumour mill" works overtime on car sites. Someone heard an update from the second cousin of some gardener at their favourite restaurant. That update, release date etc get posted in a forum and and it spreads like wild fire.

·
Registered
52 Posts
While speaking at the dealership today, I mentioned about the screen issue. The “tech” guy their said an update was released to implement and fix the issue. But who knows...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just took delivery of 2018 RRS SVR and screens started rebooting endlessly today after working without issue for a few days. Took it back to the dealer and they downloaded some update that didn’t help. Now, they are going to try downloading a different update that takes longer and may need help from a remote tech.

My SVR came through the Baltimore port and was delivered to the dealer on 2/18 so maybe it wasn’t in the batch they were trying to intercede with before transporting to dealers.

What is the specific fix that that others are hearing about for this problem?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine needs a new "computer." When it got stuck in the endless reboot loop, the dealer was unable to get it to accept any software updates. Then they had a hard time sourcing the part. I guess they got the part in today; they want to hold onto the car over the weekend to make sure the problem doesn't reoccur.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I wonder what would cause that extreme of a problem, especially if it is software causing the issue. Seems like a pretty major problem that should have been caught before shipping vehicles of this caliber. Thanks for the update.

Will let you know what they say about mine early next week. Not a good start for me owning a brand new 2018 RRS. My 2016 had no problems whatsoever over the two years I owned it.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
I have the same thing going on, full size SCV8.
Two questions: when the reboots started, was the activity key in the car?
The other question is, when you restarted the car after a long(er) period of time, like at least 30 minutes, did the reboots continue or did things go back to normal for at least a while?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
52 Posts
I believe this is very bad news for Land Rover. Buggy screens can cripple sales and ruin the brand. Land Rover needs to address this situation quickly. If not it will become a crisis for their image. Still and all, I wouldn't hold my breath on any immediate resolution coming soon. I would not make a purchase now, I would wait for the 2019 which should be bug free.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
nobody asked for your irrelevant opinion. but thanks for sharing and if that's OK, we'd go back on-topic. thx.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same thing going on (full size SCV8).
Two questions: when the reboots started, was the activity key in the car?
The other question is, when you restarted the car after a long(er) period of time, like at least 30 minutes, did the reboots continue or did things go back to normal for at least a while?
On mine, once the reboots started, it never went back to normal.

Sounds like mine is all fixed, but the dealer is still holding onto it over the weekend to ensure it doesn't come back. Part of me thinks they're just being conservative and want to make sure it's working; the other part of me thinks they're not confident that the fix actually resolved the issue. We'll see

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
With the complexity of modern software bits across all makes and models it takes vast amounts of testing to work out bugs. One unforeseen input can can create a cascade failure. When a glitch is discovered an update does not happen overnight. Look at the fogging issues with the Velar, all sort of assumptions were made across various forums and when real info was finally compiled it was two handed. Weak recirc door arms and a software glitch that compounded it. With every new model, face lift or new tech release there are a few rigs that have bugs. Like it or not is part of being a first adopter. Is it a pain the back side? of course it is.

Bluesurf, it is not a crisis, it will not "ruin" the brand. When BMW, you know the brand that every compares RR to, made their production changes to the second gen P38s there were many bugs. When they designed the first gen L322 they screwed up big and out of the gate Ford had to deal with insipid front diff failures that BMW designed. This resulted in a full NTSB safety recall and millions spent to rectify BMWs poor design. BMW VANOS failures and a cooling system that fried trannies prematurely thanks the "sealed for life" marketing followed.

This is a pretty big stumbling block that has happened to only a portion of L405 deliveries. That shows that it is limited by a glitch in a particular version of software. Is it an older version? It the latest version? Was something else changed in production? it will be fixed, it will take time but it does not effect every single face lift model.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts