RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of getting the black surround of the grille painted to match the rest of the body color?

I like the way the black RR's look as the grille blends in... here is a quick photoshop of a corris grey with color matched surround...

RR-painted.jpg

Subtle, but I think it looks a bit cleaner and more bespoke -- but perhaps you loose a distinctive design detail by doing so.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
101 Posts
One thought about repainting anything on the front of your truck or any vehicle, in my experience the aftermarket paint does not adhere as well as the factory paint / finish and it will be more susceptible to chips and peeling.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
matching body colour looks rather plain.The black surround give some contrast... something the new models lack.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice paint work! Your paint looks perfect and matched very well. Do you do long highway drives with bugs juice on your grill / windshield? I do long drives and can get bombed with bug juice. If I you avoid bug juice you are in good shape.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Great paint tip, thank you! I wondered how factory paint bonded so much better, perhaps they do this too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mavro...can you photoshop the lower rockers on the side along with the front black bits to be body colour? Most of the Range Rover sports have that and it looks great...I was going to paint my L405.2 like that when it arrives mid October.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought another grill off eBay and painted the surround the same as body color, Corris Grey... I like it. I'll take another wider photo (it was raining and I didn't want to ruin the wax `))

Before:
grill-oncar-orig.jpg

After:
grill-oncar-painted.jpg

Close ups:
grill-closeup-1.jpg
grill-closeup-2.jpg

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I painted myself. I use automotive touchup with good success. I also use their adhesion promoter primer (for plastics) and gloss clearcoat -- like with any paint job, the prep is important as is the application (light coats). I'd say color match is anywhere from 98-99% -- hard to tell any small variance because of the curvature of the grill/front and that the corris grey metallic paint captures light differently at angles...

I personally think the color matched surround ties the front in a bit more, especially if you like that tone-on-tone look. I love the black package look, but there are too many of that combination around in our area. So I thought to keep the atlas "brightwork" so it ties the wheels together. I also like the MY18/19 satin color matched trim -- you now get the right balance of "brightwork" and "texture" -- at least for my tastes.

IMG_5342.jpg

IMG_5345.jpg

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes, I painted myself. I use automotive touchup with good success. I also use their adhesion promoter primer (for plastics) and gloss clearcoat -- like with any paint job, the prep is important as is the application (light coats). I'd say color match is anywhere from 98-99% -- hard to tell any small variance because of the curvature of the grill/front and that the corris grey metallic paint captures light differently at angles...

I personally think the color matched surround ties the front in a bit more, especially if you like that tone-on-tone look. I love the black package look, but there are too many of that combination around in our area. So I thought to keep the atlas "brightwork" so it ties the wheels together. I also like the MY18/19 satin color matched trim -- you now get the right balance of "brightwork" and "texture" -- at least for my tastes.

View attachment 268856

View attachment 268858
Honestly, its perfect!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts