RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Just took my 2017 RR TD5 HSE for the 15k miles service under my "service plan". The dealer told me my rear pads are down to 2mm! He "complimented" my "aggressive" driving and quoted me $1300 for pads and rotors. Wait, my car is only 17 months old and it already needs pads? Is this normal? Also $1300 seems excessive and he mentioned just changing the pads is not an option as they are not serviceable according to him.

Not sure what to do as I am dumbfounded, waiting to hear your thoughts... maybe I am the cheap one.

Gary

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
No not cheap....I think the brake and OCF services are always a ridiculous amount...I also have a 17 TD6 with 17K miles....and I am pretty aggressive and in town / hills...I would expect the fronts to go well before the rears...I have seen 2-1 changes front to rear...Fronts have how much on them? ... Dealers are not permitted (their words) to only change pads...must change the rotors...again backs could be perfect and just need pads...fronts...well maybe rotors too...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it back and front is at 4mm. This is the first car fut which I need to change rear brakes before front. I have a LX570 with 80k and is about 2-1 front back every 30k miles. What are these pads made of? Wears so fast! Will it void anything (warranty, service plans) if I just take to local land rover shop?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would take it to a local shop and not do the brake job at dealer. There’s a special routine to disable the rear parking brake when changing pads or rotors for the rear. It’s in the owners manual (at least it is on my 2015), make sure you inform the local shop how to do it before the job.

I believe this is the routine:

activate an e-brake service mode:
- Turn the ignition ON (not the engine) by pushing the start/stop button without stepping on the brake pedal - Push the e-brake button down for 2 seconds and hold it (release the e-brake) - Push the accelerator pedal down for 2 seconds and hold it - Push the start/stop button twice (turn the ignition off and on) Now the e-brake service mode is active.. you will hear a noise from the rear e-motors, when its releasing the e-brake to the service mode. Still hold the e-brake button and the accelerator pedal. After the e-motors stops there will be info on the dash that the e-brake service mode is activated. To deactivate the service mode is the same procedure, the only change is that you have to pull the e-brake button.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
584 Posts
I had something similar. The dealer was asking $1300 for one axle (pads, rotors, sensors). I purchased Disc Italia pads online, OEM rotors and sensors from Atlantic British and had a local independent guy do the work. It was much cheaper. I can't imagine that this would affect the warranty.

You have to disengage the ebrake prior to servicing and re-engage it afterward. I found a good youtube video on the Evoque and used this procedure. It is pretty much the same thing that Riozilla posted.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I also bought my L405 brake pads and rotors from Atlantic British. Make sure you order the right rotors as I didn’t give them my vin number when I did it so I ordered the wrong ones (apparently they changed part numbers in 2014/2015 model years, who knew?)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
How many miles did you have to replace them? Did you have to do the EPB trick to disengage it? Does Land Rover have any service manual for purchase / download?

Thanks for your valuable info!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought mine CPO with 37k miles on it so don’t know the brake history before I bought it but I did change my front and rear brakes at 54k miles. Myself or my indie mechanic did not need any LR service manuals for it. It’s a standard thing on all cars. Nothing special at all about Range Rover’s for a brake pad/rotor change.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Actually contemplating doing it myself. Dont see much difference from the videos on YouTube versus the Lexus or Toyota I have worked on regularly. As a matter of fact it seems like the RR brakes have fewer parts than the Lexus. I'll take off the wheels to survey the rotors to see if they need replacing. But will likely change the pads and the sensor before they wear any further. And do the fronts in a couple month later.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
584 Posts
I did my own on my L322. I just got older and lazier. Truth is that the job itself is not too tough. My pads and rotors were replaced by the dealer around 10K miles because of squeaking. The job I referenced above was done around 38K. I live in Illinois where it is really flat.

Here is the link I followed to de-activate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn3RqQHc2uY

Here is the link I followed to re-activate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGChHDh0u2g

Hope this helps.

Steve

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would always do my L322's...and I was using my 4 post lift with a sliding jack...those wheels were so heavy...now to save my back I will let my local do it...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the great info! I'll get the parts and post pics later.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Oreilleys auto parts has pads for front and rear for like 40 bucks with a lifetime warranty on pad life! I paid my buddy 100 bucks, Freddy, Umberto’s buddy to replace them. Umbertob on here is a moderator. Guys this ain’t rocket science!

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2017 RR HSE TD6 has 22K Miles now, and after reading these treads, I checked the pads on my vehicle and the rear is half of the front pads now, so yes the rear goes first.
I do not think one should change the rotors as well, as far as I can see, the rotors of my RR are perfect, so pads only should do the job.

QUESTION: What sensor are you guys taking about? do you need to change them, what do they sense?
Thank you
LCL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is a pad wear sensor which you need to replace together with the pad change.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tried to replace rear pads this afternoon. Followed the Evoque EPB deactivation method but could not put the RR in service mode. The most I could get to is to not engage EPB when car is off.

Pad wear sensor came off and took caliper off. However I could not retract caliper fully to install new pads. My guess was since the EPB cannot be "fully" retracted which prohibited me from pressing in the caliper. Since it was getting dark and no clear solution in sight, I cleaned up and reassembled everything and put in a new wear sensor to call it a night.

So i'm wondering of there is a new service mode procedure for the '17 or is there a way to remove the EPB from the caliper?

Btw, so far I think the bighest PITA about this whole pad job was removing the sensor cable harness from the mounting bracket.

Any info appreciated,

Gary

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bought a Autel Maxdiag MD808 Pro to try putting EPB in service mode. Will report back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also had my rear brakes done at 42K miles on my 2017 SC. The same think; my fronts are still good, paid $1300 including rotors and alignment. I got explained that the rears go before fronts on these vehicles.

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
The sensor is to tell you when the pads are worn -- it was introduced on the Range Rover Classic.

Cheers

John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts