RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My owner's manual points out that there is an "emergency" DEF refill port at the side of the wheel well. This holds a few liters of DEF. However, there appears to a second, larger, reservoir that holds a much larger volume that is only accessible to the dealer. Anyone know if a knowledgeable DIY person can get access and fill the second reservoir?
Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have always filled mine up from the filler above the driver side front wheel under the hood. When mine gets really low it will take pretty close to the amount listed in the capacity section of the manual. Mine seemed to use a lot of DEF the first 5,000 miles but seems to be closer to the manual range now. Seems like it uses more when I am towing a lot. Was not aware of another place to add DEF.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I have always filled mine up from the filler above the driver side front wheel under the hood. When mine gets really low it will take pretty close to the amount listed in the capacity section of the manual. Mine seemed to use a lot of DEF the first 5,000 miles but seems to be closer to the manual range now. Seems like it uses more when I am towing a lot. Was not aware of another place to add DEF.
Ditto on what kgd has stated. I actually think that there was a leak around my tank when I first filled but all seems good now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My owner's manual points out that there is an "emergency" DEF refill port at the side of the wheel well. This holds a few liters of DEF. However, there appears to a second, larger, reservoir that holds a much larger volume that is only accessible to the dealer. Anyone know if a knowledgeable DIY person can get access and fill the second reservoir?
Thanks
There is only one DEF refill port, which it located under the hood above the left front tire, and only one reservoir, which holds about 4 gallons of DEF. The port is designed to accept the standard 1/2 gallon screw in Ad Blue bottles. However, if you are careful, you can also refill from the 2.5 gallon bulk bottles that you can purchase at any auto supply store. The best way to do this is to cut off the bottom of one of the screw in refill bottles and use it as a funnel. Of course, you can always take it to the dealer to refill. My dealer only charges $25 for a complete refill, which is very reasonable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
All of the bulk bottles/jugs I have purchased came with a spout that screws on and fits into the filler port. I fill on level ground where it is also quiet so I can hear when the tank is getting full to avoid over flowing the tank. I also take a paper towel and wrap it around the outside of the filler port in case it does overflow a bit. As it gets more toward the full side it can overflow if you continue to pour at the same rate as empty. You should hear is start to gurgle as it gets close to full.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the feedback!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts