RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the forum and looking to buy my first RR - a 2017 SVR at LR dealer, but it’s a reaquired vehicle. Was sold new in CA. Had a fuel fill issue that apparently took too long to fix so LR bought it back (according to the dealer). LR documentation just says “fuel system - other” as reason for buy-back. Will anyone want to buy this in a couple years, will dealers not want to take it back in trade? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'd stay away from manufacturer buy backs. This article has a good point: they claim the manufacturer buys it back then repairs the issue. But if they could do that why didn't they repair it before the costly buy back?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Because in California you can get the manufacturer to buy it back after a certain amount of days at the dealership, so people do it. CA has some crazy consumer protection laws. Even if they fix the issue can get a buyback once it hits 30 days at the dealership.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
So it?s a 2017 with 11k miles and original MSRP of 130k. Buy price is 99k. Rover put an additional 12 months and 12k miles on top of standard warranty. Plus they?re taking my trade at 1k over the best number I got elsewhere. Good deal or no?

You can buy a clean one for that price. If they will give you 3 years bumper to bumper and unlimited miles warranty like Mercedes Benz would do to their certified preowned per their ad then I would consider it but also at a lower than $99k price.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
470 Posts
Why would they not just CPO it?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Was about to ask the same thing. If they CPO it, becomes a lot more attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With CPO I would say go for it, without CPO I would not buy it myself.
Isn’t the only difference between factory warranty and CPO the mileage? I thought CPO was 5yr/100k? I’m not a high mileage guy and tend to keep cars 3-4 years.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
207 Posts
My suggestion - think about this car as a buyer in 2022 or so. Suppose you are buying a 2017 SVR that was a buyback and the year is 2022. The warranty is done. What would you do - buy it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My suggestion - think about this car as a buyer in 2022 or so. Suppose you are buying a 2017 SVR that was a buyback and the year is 2022. The warranty is done. What would you do - buy it?
Good point. I suppose if the car is trouble free and I have full service records, the next owner should be able to feel confident. But, on the other hand, if it continues to have problems then selling it could be very difficult. As would any car with a sordid service history - buy back or not. But this car is starting off with two strikes...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've decided to pass on this one and look at some others. I really appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Note sure what year/color your looking for but this one is for sale at a dealer in San Antonio. They are not a LR dealer but a sister dealer to Land Rover San Juan (same owner)

https://www.themarkmotors.com/vehicle-details/used-2016-land-rover-range-rover-sport-v8-svr-boerne-tx-id-19895409
I appreciate that. Not a fan of the "Storm Trooper" look. Hunting for Estoril Blue or Firenze Red, carbon trim, ebony or ebony/cirrus upholstery, black wheels (prefer 22, but 21 ok).

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I appreciate that. Not a fan of the "Storm Trooper" look. Hunting for Estoril Blue or Firenze Red, carbon trim, ebony or ebony/cirrus upholstery, black wheels (prefer 22, but 21 ok).
Having owned mine for all of three weeks now, I can tell you that Estoril blue is a truly special color. You're right to wait for it. 4 years of owning my 2014 Dynamic I didn't get a second glance, 3 weeks of this car and I've had at least 3 compliments from total strangers. Wait for it. It's worth the wait for sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Having owned mine for all of three weeks now, I can tell you that Estoril blue is a truly special color. You're right to wait for it. 4 years of owning my 2014 Dynamic I didn't get a second glance, 3 weeks of this car and I've had at least 3 compliments from total strangers. Wait for it. It's worth the wait for sure.
Very cool. Is there anything you miss about the Dynamic, or don’t like about the SVR?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Very cool. Is there anything you miss about the Dynamic, or don’t like about the SVR?
Nothing I miss, but the SVR is a bit obnoxiously loud. It's fun for the first couple of days but it does start to get a little too noisy. Even with the exhaust in the quiet mode ...
I'm also a bit annoyed that the 2018 HSE has the body styling of the older SVR so it's now ever harder to tell them apart, which is another reason why you really want the Estoril blue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nothing I miss, but the SVR is a bit obnoxiously loud. It's fun for the first couple of days but it does start to get a little too noisy. Even with the exhaust in the quiet mode ...
I'm also a bit annoyed that the 2018 HSE has the body styling of the older SVR so it's now ever harder to tell them apart, which is another reason why you really want the Estoril blue.
One of the main reasons for chasing blue is that it’s an SVR only color. Red is pretty rare too, but Firenze is on other models too. My mom has a Firenze LR4! Lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts