RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Looking to join the Range Rover Sport family soon and was hoping to get some help in deciding between two options I'm looking at.

1. 2017, 44k miles, $54k, White/Pimento, contrast roof and black lettering, well equipped with what I'm looking for including ACC. Sold at a local pre-owned imports dealership with very good reviews. Price comes with a "powertrain warranty" from Allstate but any other warranty coverage would be extra..approx $7k for +5years or 100k total miles also from Allstate. Test drove it last week and had a blast...was also looking into the FFRR w/v6 but test driving the V8 kind of convinced me to go V8 RRS.

2. 2017, 31k miles, $61k, Red/Ebony, contrast roof and black lettering, does NOT include ACC, CPO for 6 years/100k. Sold at a JLR dealer 1.5hrs away. Haven't had a chance to go down to take it out but looking at the carfax, it's been on the lot since October!

A couple of questions:

- What are your experiences with ACC on these cars? I have a Q7 with ACC and do enjoy using it on long trips but am always a bit nervous to fully trust the system as it tends to brake a bit later than I prefer and accelerates overly aggressively when holes open up. I'm intervening a good amount as a result. I wasn't able to test out the system that much on the test drive as the location is pretty far from a major highway, where I'd use ACC.

- Is the CPO warranty worth the extra $7k? Since the car's been on the lot a while, I'm hoping I have some room to negotiate that down some more to narrow the gap as I can't get the first one down much more. I've read some mixed things on LR CPO since it seems that it's really a 3rd party warranty and not administered by JLR.

- After doing considerable reading on the forum, it looks like these new models are a bit more reliable than older generations. Could it make sense to pocket the difference and use it as repairs come up? $7k should cover some decent repairs, no?

- Anyone have any experience with Allstate warranties? Technically the first option comes with a powertrain warranty from them which ought to cover some major expenses, but I'm not really attributing a whole lot of value to it as there's not much online about it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
2017 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic
10 Posts
Hi everyone,

Looking to join the Range Rover Sport family soon and was hoping to get some help in deciding between two options I'm looking at.

1. 2017, 44k miles, $54k, White/Pimento, contrast roof and black lettering, well equipped with what I'm looking for including ACC. Sold at a local pre-owned imports dealership with very good reviews. Price comes with a "powertrain warranty" from Allstate but any other warranty coverage would be extra..approx $7k for +5years or 100k total miles also from Allstate. Test drove it last week and had a blast...was also looking into the FFRR w/v6 but test driving the V8 kind of convinced me to go V8 RRS.

2. 2017, 31k miles, $61k, Red/Ebony, contrast roof and black lettering, does NOT include ACC, CPO for 6 years/100k. Sold at a JLR dealer 1.5hrs away. Haven't had a chance to go down to take it out but looking at the carfax, it's been on the lot since October!

A couple of questions:

- What are your experiences with ACC on these cars? I have a Q7 with ACC and do enjoy using it on long trips but am always a bit nervous to fully trust the system as it tends to brake a bit later than I prefer and accelerates overly aggressively when holes open up. I'm intervening a good amount as a result. I wasn't able to test out the system that much on the test drive as the location is pretty far from a major highway, where I'd use ACC.

- Is the CPO warranty worth the extra $7k? Since the car's been on the lot a while, I'm hoping I have some room to negotiate that down some more to narrow the gap as I can't get the first one down much more. I've read some mixed things on LR CPO since it seems that it's really a 3rd party warranty and not administered by JLR.

- After doing considerable reading on the forum, it looks like these new models are a bit more reliable than older generations. Could it make sense to pocket the difference and use it as repairs come up? $7k should cover some decent repairs, no?

- Anyone have any experience with Allstate warranties? Technically the first option comes with a powertrain warranty from them which ought to cover some major expenses, but I'm not really attributing a whole lot of value to it as there's not much online about it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I just bought a 2017 RRS HSE Dynamic V6 that was CPO from JLR, which by the way is 7yr/100k from the original date of title. I like the CPO because you know exactly where you are taking it and getting for service. The other reason I like it in my case was that I bought mine sight unseen. JLR goes through a 165pt inspection of the vehicle before they can certify it which gave me comfort they combed through any issues and brought the vehicle back to as new spec. Meaning if the tires, brakes, battery, etc are out of JLR spec they replace it before it goes on the lot. You can ask them for the report on the vehicle your considering and it will list what was reviewed and action they took to resolve and discrepancy. This made me comfortable buying it without ever seeing it short of some possible cosmetic issues, if any, but in my past experience CPOs are the clean of clean trade-ins.

I’m not familiar with Allstate vehicle warranty yet my hesitation is that it may not require them to replace parts with genuine LR parts. Plus $7k seems a little absurd even if for +5yrs and bank it like you said for a rainy day fund.

Sorry can’t help on the ACC comparison as I don’t have anything to compare it to.

Seems, like I was, you’re looking for specific options that may or may not be available in your local area. Why I had to venture from FL to TX to find exactly what I wanted and knowing it was being sold by JLR w CPO made the transaction much more comfortable and opened up more choices. I typically like buying cars in the south for the obvious reason of the vehicle not being in the harsh winters and salt roads. Hope this helps and good luck!

BTW I purchased mine from JLR Austin - great staff great deal all by email and a couple phone calls. Keeps the negotiations in-check!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport SCV8 HSE Dynamic
508 Posts
ACC is great - I use it all the time, whether in traffic or on long road trips, and my next car will have to have this!

I cannot comment on your other queries since I'm not in the US, but overall the L494 is quite reliable. As usual with JLR, there are some small electronic/infotainment niggles.

Just make sure that all services & recalls have been done, and have the vehicle checked out thoroughly by a known LR mechanic (if possible).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! It’s nice to hear that ACC is working well! Looks like the CPO had oil changes ~10k and it’s harder to tell with the other one as there are some gaps in the carfax unfortunately. I’m going to try to make the trip tomorrow morning to check out the CPO and try to get some service records.

That said, I do wish it had ACC!

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,208 Posts
I did oil changes on my former 2016 when the vehicle told me to and didn’t have any issues up to 80k miles. If it’s done sooner though that’s a good sign of a meticulous owner.

The second vehicle seems overpriced—$61k for a pre-facelifted vehicle seems high and maybe why it’s still sitting months later.

See what you can get the second one down to before making a decision. If the 61k is firm that’s one thing, but if you can shave a few thousand off it may help.

I think the CPO warranty is done through Assurant which is the same as the extended warranty bought new which I had. I had a few claims with them that were covered (leaking rear diff seal, worn lower control arm bushings). However the dealer would often want to charge a $150 or so diagnostic fee that would be waived if they found something that the warranty covered. If nothing was found or if the warranty declined then the charge stood although they would apply it to the cost of the repair. I think others have had similar experiences with dealers. So I wouldn’t go in thinking a CPO warranty means everything gets fixed for free no matter what. It also does not cover anything to do with airbags, so if yours has the annoying airbag loose sensor light come on, warranty won’t cover it.

If you have a reputable LR Indy shop in the area that would be a big plus. Their repair bills are often much cheaper than the dealers and would allow you to potentially self insure against things that would happen. By 80k miles if I had self insured, my costs were well under $7k.

Reactions: rrsporthse

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you @Hodog16! Plan is to take a look at the red one today and see where they’re at on pricing. It might be my area but I feel like the JLR dealers really like to up-charge on CPO vehicles!

Agreed on the Indy shops, I am splitting time between Boston and Central PA so hoping to find a nice independent shop in either area!

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
299 Posts
If I had to choose between those two I would go with the white one & pocket the difference for repairs down the road. CPO is not what it used to be as far as coverage goes. ACC is something I wish my RRS had but thankfully with the GAP IID tool & buying correct sensor you can add it to a non ACC vehicle. My must haves was factory trailer hitch, 4 zone climate control, proper oil changes & not from the midwest/east coast due to road salt. Found mine at Porsche Grapevine in Texas. Flew in on a Monday, completed test drive, bought it & back on the plane that night to come back home. They shipped it for free & I had it that Friday. Awesome customer service.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just checked out the red car today and it was nice, got the price down a bit so the difference is $5.7k for CPO through spring 2023, 10k less miles, but no ACC. This is a tough choice!

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
299 Posts
Just checked out the red car today and it was nice, got the price down a bit so the difference is $5.7k for CPO through spring 2023, 10k less miles, but no ACC. This is a tough choice!
I see the red RRS has tow package. Not sure how important that is to you but to add that onto the white RRS would be about $2500 installed at dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see the red RRS has tow package. Not sure how important that is to you but to add that onto the white RRS would be about $2500 installed at dealer.
Thanks for pointing it out! That's good to know. I do not do any towing at the moment but could be handy in the future for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I had to choose between those two I would go with the white one & pocket the difference for repairs down the road. CPO is not what it used to be as far as coverage goes. ACC is something I wish my RRS had but thankfully with the GAP IID tool & buying correct sensor you can add it to a non ACC vehicle. My must haves was factory trailer hitch, 4 zone climate control, proper oil changes & not from the midwest/east coast due to road salt. Found mine at Porsche Grapevine in Texas. Flew in on a Monday, completed test drive, bought it & back on the plane that night to come back home. They shipped it for free & I had it that Friday. Awesome customer service.
Leaning heavily on the white car and pocketing the difference! Just looked at it again and the exterior, etc. were in better shape than the red one which had some smaller scratches, etc.

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
299 Posts
Leaning heavily on the white car and pocketing the difference! Just looked at it again and the exterior, etc. were in better shape than the red one which had some smaller scratches, etc.
Maybe see if you can have the white one get a PPI at a local LR dealer just for piece of mind if serious about it. It sure is good looking thats for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe see if you can have the white one get a PPI at a local LR dealer just for piece of mind if serious about it. It sure is good looking thats for sure.
Yea working with the dealer to see if I can get that done soon. Really is a head vs heart decision with the head leaning CPO but the heart on the car with ACC.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport SCV8 HSE Dynamic
508 Posts
Yea working with the dealer to see if I can get that done soon. Really is a head vs heart decision with the head leaning CPO but the heart on the car with ACC.
Look at it this way - the 7k you save by buying the white one will easily buy a warranty or cover any issues you may encounter, while it's not so easy to add ACC

Reactions: rrsporthse

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ll address vehicle price and the Range Rover secondary market since the other members have answered and addressed most of your questions more thoroughly than I could go into detail with. I’d been looking for the better part of the last 2 years to replace my 2013 RRS. I found that the secondary market is tight for nicely optioned, well maintained vehicles and almost always these carried a bit of a premium. Over the last year here in Southern California since COVID the market completely dried up. There were very few nice cars available and the nice ones were selling in ridiculous timeframes. I.e. selling before the dealer had the opportunity to post photos. Also the prices started to go up. I purchased a vehicle about a month back and now noticed the market is starting to open up a bit. More vehicles are available and a handful of lower mileage offerings as well. This being stated my independent RR mechanic gave me only one piece of advice. Make sure the vehicle you purchase has all of the options you want. If it’s missing an item or two you are going to regret the purchase. I took his advice and he was correct, I passed on a very low mileage 2015 Carpathian Grey RRS because it didn’t have the Meridian sound system. I would have deeply regretted it as my current late 2015 Autobiography has the Meridian and its day and night. If you really want the ACC option wait for the car and the price you are happy with. One of the members suggested the second vehicle was priced high, I agree. With the market loosening I thing cost might come down a little bit. For reference I purchased the late 2015 Autobiography with 76,000 miles for $39,000. The previous owner was a nut about maintenance. Carfax had oil changes at every 2,500 miles on the nose. I added a picture so you can take a look. 2015.5 Yulong White Optional Paint, Style 508 22” Wheels, Black Morzine Headliner.
E93A98EA-B449-4B07-B31C-BE8A4954CB66.jpeg

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
299 Posts
one more thing with LR CPO is too keep it valid you must follow all recommended service work per LR. Either done at a LR dealership or show records if done elsewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PPI at a local indy came out well for the white car, the only callout were the front brake pads which the dealer will be replacing! I think it's the way to go then save the $7k for future repairs/warranties.

If anyone has a good experience with any particular warranty, please let me know!

Thanks for all the help up to now!

·
Registered
6 Posts
@luckyslevin, thank you! Your car looks phenomenal! Did you purchase a warranty for it?
I did not, I have an Independent Range Rover Mechanic that services my vehicles and I trust him completely. My last RRS had 160,300 miles on it and all that was replaced was a coolant crossover tube, water pump and lower control arms. The prior RRS had 198,000 miles on it and all I replaced was a front wheel bearing, U Joint, and the trans was starting to shift a bit hard between 1st and 2nd. We cut the service intervals by 1/3 and it appears to make a significant difference in wear and tear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts