RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share an update after 2 months and 6,000 miles with my 2017 RRS SC Dynamic. It’s done a bit of everything so far - commuting, some light off-roading on bad forest roads, heavy trailer towing, and very fast driving. Next weekend I’ll air down the 21" tires a little and will take it on a more intense forest road to access some amazing mountain bike trails in the Blewett Pass area and will report back.

So far I've added:
- BlackVue DR650s-2ch DashCam w/ Cellink B Battery
- WeBoost Drive 4G-X Signal Booster
- Cradlepoint IBR900 LTE Router w/ Cellink B Battery
- Industrial velcro strips for wireless trailer tire pressure monitor, brake controller, and trailer backup camera screen
- Additional thin storage pockets on the sides of the center stack to put phones

To-do:
- 2nd BlackVue for the sides
- Radar/laser detector
- Larger antenna for the WeBoost
- Motorized front license plate
- Custom satin-grey painted Style 520 20" wheels with Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires

Top 5
  • Dynamic: Wow. Transforms the Range Rover into a full-on-but-still-heavy sports car, and resolves the ‘hesitation’ when setting off in normal mode. With the hydraulic body stabilizers, I’m amazed at what speeds I can take corners, and there’s just no body roll at all. Also really helps when towing to keep the steering buttoned up tight.
  • Full-screen virtual instrument panel w/ 3D Maps: Far more useful than a HUD I believe, and the visibility is fantastic day-and-night. Very, very happy I ordered a 2017 model vs. getting a deal on a dealer lot 2016.
  • Headlights: Automatic high-beams, adaptive headlamps, and the general beam pattern are just fantastic. My wife and I regularly come back from hikes very late at night, and these headlamps make night seem like day, which significantly eases the workload when driving at night through twisty mountain roads.
  • Meridian 825W stereo: Crisp highs, well-defined mids, and booming but well-controlled bass. Fantastic stereo, the system supports FLAC files, and Spotify works very well (after the InControl Apps eventually boots up). Though on my next vehicle, likely a 2022 RRS, I probably will upgrade to the Signature audio just for fun. :)
  • Styling: I got a Firenze Red Dynamic trim with the unique satin grey 21” wheels, body color sliding panoramic roof, with black-on-black interior. Other than a L405 in the right color, I personally think this is by far the best looking SUV on the road today, with the cleanest interior.

Worse 5
  • Infotainment: LOOKS fantastic, but they need to work hard on optimizing their code and stress testing as the responsiveness is quite variable, with functions at times take a while to load (such as the main nav). Working for a major software company, this product feels more of a ‘Beta’ than a product which has been shipping for nearly 2 years now. I understand JLR is a low volume company, but these days a solid infotainment system is just as important as styling, drivetrain, driving dynamics, etc.
  • Doesn’t work with many trailers with LED lights out of the box. This has been a persistent issue reported to JLR since the time of the LR2 Disco over 10 years ago, but still to this date has not been resolved. All American manufacturers have done the work to ensure these modern trailers work correctly interop as they recognize that a lot of customers tow, but JLR just doesn’t get it, or doesn’t care. Even if they have a simple override to tell the car that a LED equipped trailer is attached I wouldn’t mind, but they rely on automatic detection does not work well. Modifying your trailer with resistors on the lights is just madness.
  • Forced Start/Stop System: It’s clunky, annoying in start and stop traffic, doesn’t work well with some of my add-in electronics, and what really gets me is that there is no way to predominately disable it. I wouldn’t complain if I could just turn it off forever.
  • Brake squeak: Simply should not happen in a vehicle of this caliber, and if it does, it should be quickly resolved and not drag through multiple model years. I realize that my vehicle has Brembo brakes, but c’mon this is really basic, and I suspect many owners are buying for the ‘image’ rather than any actual performance braking needs.
  • Worries about reliability, dealer network, and part availability: Always in the back of my mind is worries around this vehicle breaking down while we’re traveling full-time, then needing to wait months for a special part to be shipped from the UK. Or, breaking down and needing to tow 600+ miles to the nearest dealer or independent. I realize that I need to take this in stride with such a vehicle, but other luxury brands have more prevalent dealer networks.
Camping at Silver Falls State Park (a bit of purple fringing from the Leica 50/0.95 lens)
18722248_1919016238373340_568509058441543680_n.jpg

Taking a restroom break along the Evergreen Hwy in the Gorge
IMG_8705.jpg

Dropping off our Airstream for a large solar, lithium battery, and telecommunications equipment installation
IMG_8946.jpg

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Congratulations. Gorgeous car. Here is my suggestion..

To-do:
- 2nd BlackVue for the sides ** Dont bother, waste of money. You already have the 2 Ch blackVue, it will cover the vehicle adequately. I know, I got T-Boned and it was all caught on my BlackVue that led to immediate resolution, no need to call cops or anything. The guys insurance took care of it right up. I didn't even have to give them the footage. He called and told them he was 100% at fault and I had it on video. They said ok, they'll take care of it. If you are unfortunate to have an accident its simply near impossible not to have it recorded. Your front covers almost 180 degrees as does the rear. If someone were to walk up to your vehicle's blind spot and vandalize theyll be on camera too. Mind you most people cant spot the cameras so not like even knows where the blind spot is. Just saying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. I enjoyed your review. Especially showing that you are towing an Airstream with it. Currently we have a 2008 Ford Expedition Limited and want to downsize to a bit smaller SUV for living in the city as Portland is busy shrinking all of their parking spaces. I am enamored with the RRS and love that it can tow as we have a renovated 1958 Airstream trailer. I figured we would just use the RRS for short trips and keep our 2012 F150 for the long trips but perhaps the RRS is up to the task as well.
Currently geeking in our decision making process on a purchase. Trying to decipher the reliability reports vs reality on what to expect. Then again we are trying to buy a new refrigerator and their reliability reports are just as concerning. ;-)
As a photographer who likes to get out in the wilds after wild horses, I admit to taking the Expedition down into a few boulder and sagebrush filled ravines sans road. Just think what the RRS could do....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks. I enjoyed your review. Especially showing that you are towing an Airstream with it. Currently we have a 2008 Ford Expedition Limited and want to downsize to a bit smaller SUV for living in the city as Portland is busy shrinking all of their parking spaces. I am enamored with the RRS and love that it can tow as we have a renovated 1958 Airstream trailer. I figured we would just use the RRS for short trips and keep our 2012 F150 for the long trips but perhaps the RRS is up to the task as well.
Currently geeking in our decision making process on a purchase. Trying to decipher the reliability reports vs reality on what to expect. Then again we are trying to buy a new refrigerator and their reliability reports are just as concerning. ;-)
As a photographer who likes to get out in the wilds after wild horses, I admit to taking the Expedition down into a few boulder and sagebrush filled ravines sans road. Just think what the RRS could do....
Hi Mary

One thing to keep in mind that many do not regarding reliability reports is that not all reliability issues are created equal. Magazines and JD Power Initial ratings usually count any reported incident as a reliability issue. The problem is that when the cars get more expensive, the customers get more picky. So an owner of a Jeep Wrangler may not report that their AC doesnt work or something cause it meets expectations for their price point. A RRS owner may complain about something incredibly superficial.

The key is to look through and see on the forums what people are complaining about. I haven't seen any major widespread actual mechanical issues with the sport since the refresh in 2014. The engine and trans are bullet proof (trans is the same ZF unit use din rolls royce, BMW, Audi, etc). The Infotainment 2017+ is excellent and small bugs will get fixed. Bottom line - you are safe to get the latest RRS.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

VaserRRS:
Only reasons why I'm considering doing the 4 channel installation is because the quality of the BlackVue in the edges isn't great - hard to get faces or license plates, and I want to record the image from the tow mirrors when i'm pulling my Airstream. But, since I'm putting a 2ch BlackVue in the Airstream as well, might not be needed. Thanks for the feedback!

MaryCC:
A renovated classic Airstream is just awesome! Do you have any pictures? You'd love the RRS as a tow vehicle, definitely more fun than a pickup truck, which you really only need to large, heavy, or tall trailers or 5th wheels. The Airstream has a very low center of gravity and it is very stable on the road with a well-balanced weight distribution. And as the older Airstreams use incandescent lamps, you should have no issues hooking it up.
Ensure you get either the 3.0L Turbo-Diesel, or the 5.0L Supercharged V8. I'm not sure the 3.0L Supercharged V6 has enough torque.
You can also consider the RR LWB if your older Airstream is a longer trailer.

ceteris:
Definitely was worried about the JD Power ratings, but looking at the forums here, and comparing to posts in Rennlist on the Cayenne, I don't really see if one is more reliable than the other. There are certainly lemon vehicles though, such as LR1's L405, but that happens with all brands. Perhaps JLR could do a better job with customer service though, as it seems that dealers are almost universally hated here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It should have an RRS attached to it for this forum, so I'll just post this one photo. It's 26' Overlander 1958. It was on a Wally Byam caravan tour through Mexico in 1965. So a little history. We've had it about 4 years. Bought it in Arizona, hoping for less rust issues. It's pretty light as it doesn't have the technology and luxuries that the new ones have. �� I love the old airplane grade aluminum and the character though.

IMG_0228.JPG

·
Registered
268 Posts
  • Worries about reliability, dealer network, and part availability: Always in the back of my mind is worries around this vehicle breaking down while we’re traveling full-time, then needing to wait months for a special part to be shipped from the UK. Or, breaking down and needing to tow 600+ miles to the nearest dealer or independent. I realize that I need to take this in stride with such a vehicle, but other luxury brands have more prevalent dealer networks.
This has been a major concern for me as well. LRJ doesn't exactly get glowing marks in the reliablity market. I knew this going into the purchase, but also live in the Washington DC area with six (6) dealerships within an hour of my house. Luckily, I have owned my RRS for 2-years without any major issues. It's been a great vehicle. I have zero regrets. Overall my local dealerships have treated me very well and the RRS has been a joy to drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Lcd32bit
Congrats on your RRS and thanks for the update. Nice car BTW :clap:

I'm a previous RRS 2006 owner and current owner of a 2008 FFRR looking to get a 2017 RRS v8 supercharged. I would appreciate if you can share the info regarding the style "520" wheels what size tire is equipped with? I'm hearing conflicting information ranging from 255 - 275 and 55/50 sides. If is indeed 255/55, it seems very high profile, can it handle the power of the car and have a "sporty" ride? It seems the 21" comes with 275/45

Thanks and happy driving

1 - 14 of 14 Posts