RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is a late but after driving a 2011 RRS for 6 years I wanted to give my first impressions of my 2017 RRS-Diesel

Really happy about the Diesel except for local prices. Retail supply is up in my area but the price should never be as high as it is. But hey, the Northeast is expensive for everything.

I ended up finding a truck with the TFT screens. Just plain cool. I just wish the navigation screen would show the satellite images on the driver dash like it does on the center dash. It has nice detail.

Pros
Diesel
Seats are comfortable but still trying to find that perfect position if there is one.
Off-Road height is possible for 40mph. I usually hit the up button when I am close to the office without thinking about it. Depending on traffic I might not have to hit it ever as the truck would never lower
Interesting that the auto start/stop would not activate for the first 100 miles on the odometer. 3 days in a row the truck would not shut down at the same traffic light. The 4th day with 104 miles the engine shut off.
Auto high beams. Nice. They actually work better than I am use to.
Still learning all the connectivity stuff. Do I need to add my sim card to my AT&T account. It seems that my truck is getting internet but I haven't had anyone in the truck to use it consistently yet to see if it was just me using it while stationary and still picking up a signal or if I was also connected to a local hot spot. Road trip this weekend so we'll see how it goes.

Cons
The dealer that originally bought this truck didn't get the heated windscreen. I might miss it but I am guessing I would only use it 5 times a year.
I haven't been on too many shopping trips but I still think that I am going to miss the split tailgate where I need to drive with the rear window open. It is one of the reasons that I didn't upgrade to a 2013 truck back then.

Meh
Daytime headlights. In less than 1 month of driving I can see that the sensor is very sensitive and the lights (all) are actually on when they should be rather than me having to turn them on when I know they should be on. Still can't remind dummies that they haven't turned their lights on though. ;)

I had a 5 year opticoat put on 2 days after picking it up. The paint looks like the color was painted on the underside of glass.

I have to get use to shifting again though. It seems backwards from my 2011. Shift up is down a gear and back is up a gear. I swear it was the other way on my last one.

I like all the info displayed for fuel economy et al. My dad borrowed my truck one night and when I got in wow does he have a lead foot. lol

1 little cool feature that I would like to add. Is it possible to add the door armrest storage compartments that the Autobiography has?

And in typical fashion I probably forgot some other stuff that I thought was cool that I should write about. Oh well.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure what’s going on with the auto stop / start. Mine did it religiously for the first few months of ownership now it hardly ever shuts off. I wonder if the diesels are not as advantageous as the gas so they have scaled back the frequency with updates. I don’t miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
1 little cool feature that I would like to add. Is it possible to add the door armrest storage compartments that the Autobiography has.
I’ve looked into this, it should be possible,but I’ve been thrown off a bit by the cost, around $750 for everything.

Parts below - note the trim piece numbers are for the zebrano wood.
LR048728 - right storage box
LR048730 - left storage box
LR057459 - right trim zebrano
LR077505 - left trim zebrano
LR034526 - right handle
LR034528 - left handle

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the part#'s. Not sure I would pay that much for them but maybe I'll do 1 side and shop around a bit.

I’ve looked into this, it should be possible,but I’ve been thrown off a bit by the cost, around $750 for everything.

Parts below - note the trim piece numbers are for the zebrano wood.
LR048728 - right storage box
LR048730 - left storage box
LR057459 - right trim zebrano
LR077505 - left trim zebrano
LR034526 - right handle
LR034528 - left handle

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for the part#'s. Not sure I would pay that much for them but maybe I'll do 1 side and shop around a bit.
I realized that when you buy the trim pieces, the handles are included. So that knocks a few dollars off.

I considered doing one side, then thought that wouldn’t look very good and decided against it.

Let me know if you make the leap and how it goes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Before I settled on factory-ordering a 2017 RRS SC Dynamic, I test-drove a 2016 HSE TD6 and found the engine to have excellent low-end grunt, but the initial couple of gear transitions when getting going from a stop to be very clunky. Do you experience this on yours - the 2016 SC I test-drove was in comparison very smooth.

How's your DEF consumption so far? There was a recent TSB which noted that DEF usage might increase in some cases by 2x.

Do also let me know if you decide to try adding the door storage. The 2018 RRS' have the door storage compartments, along with the 2-part passenger dash storage. :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2016 Diesel initially used a lot of DEF fluid, probably close to the 2x referenced. Seems to be a bit better now but even at 2x really cheap to just fill it up.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I have to say, on mine it varies. But, around 8k will be a good guess. My daily commute is in bumper to bumper traffic. So, not sure if that makes a difference. I do fill-up the DEF myself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the TD6 club! Like you, I traded up from a 2011 RRS.

I now have 36,000 miles on my 2016 RRS TD6.

I find the auto stop-start to be very annoying with the diesel. I usually turn it off. A lot of factors affect when it engages and how long the engine is stopped, including outside temperature, electrical drain, etc. You will also find that you can regulate when it engages by petal pressure.

You will find that diesel fuel prices fluctuate more than gasoline. In the Mid-Atlantic, diesel is usually about 20 cents cheaper than premium. it is higher now, probably due to the cold winter and heating fuel demand, which I understand can impact diesel prices. Overall, I am still averaging about 28 mpg. usually lower in winter and higher in summer. Overall fuel costs are about 40% lower than my 2011 RRS.

DEF consumption has increased a bit with the last software upgrade, but is averaging about 8,000 miles per tank. My dealer charge me $25 for a refill, so no big deal.

You are right about the shifters. Porsche keeps changing theirs too.

Love the TFT screen. Wish I had that.

This is my 4th RR and the best one yet. I love it. Hope you enjoy yours too.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the TD6 club! Like you, I traded up from a 2011 RRS.

I now have 36,000 miles on my 2016 RRS TD6.

I find the auto stop-start to be very annoying with the diesel. I usually turn it off. A lot of factors affect when it engages and how long the engine is stopped, including outside temperature, electrical drain, etc. You will also find that you can regulate when it engages by petal pressure.

You will find that diesel fuel prices fluctuate more than gasoline. In the Mid-Atlantic, diesel is usually about 20 cents cheaper than premium. it is higher now, probably due to the cold winter and heating fuel demand, which I understand can impact diesel prices. Overall, I am still averaging about 28 mpg. usually lower in winter and higher in summer. Overall fuel costs are about 40% lower than my 2011 RRS.

DEF consumption has increased a bit with the last software upgrade, but is averaging about 8,000 miles per tank. My dealer charge me $25 for a refill, so no big deal.

You are right about the shifters. Porsche keeps changing theirs too.

Love the TFT screen. Wish I had that.

This is my 4th RR and the best one yet. I love it. Hope you enjoy yours too.
Thanks.

I figured the auto start had a lot more to think about when it decided when to and when not to turn off.

Yup the diesel prices are a pain. I'm in the industry so when I talk to others around the country I get jealous. Funny about 13 years ago there was a summer where diesel was almost $ 0.60 less a gallon than 87 octane. People would scoff at my Hummer and complain about the fuel costs. It was actually cheaper to drive my Hummer to the beach for the weekend than it was for my wife to drive the Ford Escape.

$25 for DEF isn't bad when you have some dealers charging $6 for toppping of the washer fluid.

The only think I wish the TFT screen had is the more detailed satellite maps screen that the main middle screen has.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts