Range Rovers Forum banner

2017 Nav Map Loading

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SirMatt 
#1 ·
In the 2017 HSE's nav maps, I really like the google earth satellite views much more than the standard rendered nav maps most cars have. The only problem is that quite often, the entire map will not load and it will come up as blurry or pixelated. I have a 4G LTE hotspot for use in my car, which in all honesty gets faster internet speeds than my home network, so I doubt its a cell service issue. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how have you resolved this?

#3 ·
Where is the setting for satellite view? I haven't tried that, but I've noticed that when I start the car and click on the nav icon, it will say nav unavailable for about 30-45 seconds. Maybe a software update will help that...

#4 ·
I've only tried the satellite view a couple times, and you're right it tends to load fairly slowly and take quite a while to render fully. I doubt it was intended to be used in that mode all the time. Especially since the vehicle is only equipped with 3G.

I tend to only use it when I'm very close to my destination and I want to get a better idea of what the street and buildings surrounding my destination look like.

#6 ·
Thanks, yeah, mine loaded kind of slow too. I guess it's meant for when you're at your destination, to see surroundings and not to be used all the time...

#7 ·
OK, so I've been using it in Sat view for the past two days and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised when using it full time. It's true that the initial load is a bit slow when first switching to that view, regular usage seems much better. It must do some sort of caching of areas previously visited because as I drive around my usual routes/neighbourhoods I experience no delays at all. It must also do some sort of smart predictive caching as well, because even as I drive down a new road the image is all ready for me as I go. I didn't notice any pixilation or rendering lag.

To be fair, I've been in exclusively a large urban center with very good 3G coverage. I'll try it again on the way to the cottage this weekend and see how it fairs.

Just thought I should provide an update with some positive feedback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.