RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Range Rover (L405) was bought, new, in April 2018. I've had routine maintenance done on the vehicle at my local dealer and it's at about 25k miles. Last evening, on my way home from the airport, the red battery indicator illuminated and the display read "Charging System Fault". I continued driving for about 5mi., and at that point, the A/C began to get warm. The engine temperature indicator was still at the middle marker (not overheating). I headed toward the nearest dealer, which is about 2mi from where I was located. About 1mi later, the engine temperature rose, and I pulled off to the side of the road. The engine then overheated and countless faults displayed on the screen. At that point, the engine made a popping noise, and I shut the engine down. The screens flickered and the car was officially dead.

I called Land Rover Roadside Assistance, who ensured me that a tow truck would be dispatched immediately. After waiting 2 hours, a tow truck called to say that he was en route and it would be OK to leave the vehicle with my keys for him to tow to the dealer. Because I had been waiting, with friends who picked me up, with the car for a total of 3 hours, I decided to do so and left the car on the side of the road.

At 6am this morning, the local police notified me that the vehicle was never towed. I had a private tow company arranged, out of my pocket, and had the vehicle towed towed to the dealer.

Has anyone else seen a 1yr old L405 have this sort of failure?

·
Registered
653 Posts
So you you left your rover on the side of the road with the keys? Wow!

Gotta be Canadian.

Since you you have a warranty I’d lemon law it and move on.

My 2017 Range Rover (L405) was bought, new, in April 2018. I've had routine maintenance done on the vehicle at my local dealer and it's at about 25k miles. Last evening, on my way home from the airport, the red battery indicator illuminated and the display read "Charging System Fault". I continued driving for about 5mi., and at that point, the A/C began to get warm. The engine temperature indicator was still at the middle marker (not overheating). I headed toward the nearest dealer, which is about 2mi from where I was located. About 1mi later, the engine temperature rose, and I pulled off to the side of the road. The engine then overheated and countless faults displayed on the screen. At that point, the engine made a popping noise, and I shut the engine down. The screens flickered and the car was officially dead.

I called Land Rover Roadside Assistance, who ensured me that a tow truck would be dispatched immediately. After waiting 2 hours, a tow truck called to say that he was en route and it would be OK to leave the vehicle with my keys for him to tow to the dealer. Because I had been waiting, with friends who picked me up, with the car for a total of 3 hours, I decided to do so and left the car on the side of the road.

At 6am this morning, the local police notified me that the vehicle was never towed. I had a private tow company arranged, out of my pocket, and had the vehicle towed towed to the dealer.

Has anyone else seen a 1yr old L405 have this sort of failure?

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover MkIV / L405
23 Posts
Sounds like an accessory belt failure. The auxiliary belt, tensioner, idler and pulleys inside the accessory belt drive system work together to provide the drive for the power steering, alternator, air conditioning and the cooling system via the water pump.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Agree that it is likely the belt failure. it happened to me on another high end vehicle. The belt ruptured, cracked the coolant tank...then battery warning, no a/c, temperature rise, stiff steering...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts