RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to put my name down for a 2016 Range Rover (full size, aka RRFF). I recently attended the Toronto Auto Show where one of the reps from Land Rover Canada mentioned that yes the 2016 will get the new infotainment system, however there wont be any other changes to the vehicle (asides from the Diesel option). He did say that 2017 should be a facelift based on Land Rover's 7 year cycle. The previous generation was facelifted in 2010, and that car came out in 2006. So it does make sense!

Now I am having second thoughts about ordering a 2016 if the 2017 model will be facelifted, I am buying this car (not leasing) so I have to consider that resale in 3-4 years will be less on the "pre facelift" model as most will want to get a facelift 2017 model in the year 2019 or 2020. The 2010 got a pretty significant facelift in my opinion and I would have hated to have bought a 2009 back then only to find out the 2010 was being facelifted.

For reference, the Evoque is getting a facelift for the 2016 model. It came out as a 2012 model. The RRFF came out in 2013, so it would make sense that 2017 will be the facelift model.

Any thoughts/Have you guys heard anything?

·
Registered
342 Posts
It makes sense that there would be a facelift in 17 ... but in my observation LR facelifts are pretty conservative/subtle and not worth deferring a purchase for, otherwise you can talk yourself into an endless chasing of updates. I'm not even postponing my 2015.5 purchase to wait for the new 2016 infotainment system. Now if we were talking about a generation change then of course it's a different conversation and I would recommend waiting.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Slammed, fyi the proper acronym is FFRR (FullFat RR) which I see used mostly on the UK forums :).

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,759 Posts
Yea... that "Full Fat" stuff is mostly tacky slang brought up from thug life. Rates right up there with folks that refer to a Range Rover as a Ranger. :roll:

There have only been two classes of Range Rovers prior to the Evoque. The "Range Rover" and the "Range Rover Sport". Now there is the Evoque. There is no "Full Fat" anything unless it's my ass or one similar in the seat. Then there is an abundance of Full Fat to go around.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts
He did say that 2017 should be a facelift based on Land Rover's 7 year cycle. The previous generation was facelifted in 2010, and that car came out in 2006. So it does make sense!
It isn't quite that simple. The P38 came out in 1995 and its one and only face lift occurred in 2000. That's five years. The face life was INCREDIBLY tiny. Was essentially different lights and some color matched bits.

The L322 came to the U.S. in 2003. It was mechanically revamped in 2006 but its first face lift was in 2007. Again, a TINY face lift. A larger face lift (and mechanical changes) came in 2010.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It makes sense that there would be a facelift in 17 ... but in my observation LR facelifts are pretty conservative/subtle and not worth deferring a purchase for, otherwise you can talk yourself into an endless chasing of updates. I'm not even postponing my 2015.5 purchase to wait for the new 2016 infotainment system. Now if we were talking about a generation change then of course it's a different conversation and I would recommend waiting.
Of course, it's a never ending battle! So I realize you cannot think like that. While the facelift or mid life cycle changes are usually minimal with Range Rover, they are small but somewhat significant changes in my opinion. My wife and I are very particular and very detail oriented, so those minor changes are somewhat major to us. She doesn't want to have to wait another year for it but I think in the long run it will be worth it to us to wait. If we were leasing it, I would be less concerned about it.

Slammed, fyi the proper acronym is FFRR (FullFat RR) which I see used mostly on the UK forums :).
To be honest, I only learned of that term (FFRR) on this forum in the past couple weeks since I've joined. For me, I have always called it the Full Size Range Rover. That's how I differentiate between the full-size and the sport. I actually had to Google what FFRR stood for when I joined this forum and kept seeing the acronym.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
Yea... that "Full Fat" stuff is mostly tacky slang brought up from thug life. Rates right up there with folks that refer to a Range Rover as a Ranger. :roll:

There have only been two classes of Range Rovers prior to the Evoque. The "Range Rover" and the "Range Rover Sport". Now there is the Evoque. There is no "Full Fat" anything unless it's my ass or one similar in the seat. Then there is an abundance of Full Fat to go around.
Hilarious!!!

I guess it'll just be referred to as the the biggest range- TBR(R)

Anyone worried about depreciation rates one year to the next clearly has not done their homework on this marquee.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
SUPER MODERATOR
976 Posts
Tacky is right!

Just call it "Range Rover' and add a suffix when talking about the other models in the line. Why does anyone want to refer to their car as "Full Fat" anything?

It's a Range Rover, not a Range Rover Sport or a Range Rover Evoque. It's such a simple concept.

If someone asks what you drive, do you actually say a "F*ll F*t Range Rover? (I can't bring myself to type it again)?

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
As stated above it was a throwback to 06 when there were two ranges and I don't think it was used anywhere but the internet. Even back then if you spoke to a service tech or someone at LR they'd ask if you had the sport or the full size. I guess now it'll include the evoque and whatever else they come up with.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,457 Posts
Tacky is right!

Just call it "Range Rover' and add a suffix when talking about the other models in the line. Why does anyone want to refer to their car as "Full Fat" anything?

It's a Range Rover, not a Range Rover Sport or a Range Rover Evoque. It's such a simple concept.

If someone asks what you drive, do you actually say a "F*ll F*t Range Rover? (I can't bring myself to type it again)?
As Toad pointed out, it's a Eurothug thing. The way I see it, there's only the Range Rover, then there's the RRS, then the Evoque. I remember when the Evoque was still a concept, and it made me cringe to hear them insist on calling it a Range Rover. Since my dealer made me spend time in an Evoque loaner, it's kind of grown on me. I still can't call it a Ranger Rover, but I have to say, for a city car, it's really quite nice. However, the concept of a gas V-6 Range Rover is still hard to swallow, but I suppose CAFE is more to blame for that then anything else.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,457 Posts
As stated above it was a throwback to 06 when there were two ranges ...
That's not as bad as in 1995, when they had the first gen Range Rover sold along side the P38 Range Rover...

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Shoot! I'm taking notes because I know there will be a quiz down the road `)

As a newcomer to the brand during the last year, I found their branding/naming a bit confusing. Having different names and acronyms for the US and UK forums didn't help either.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Getting back to the originally scheduled program....
The op's dilemma is the possible changes that he & the mrs feel they must have especially when financing vs leasing.

I just wanted to make sure you understood that the way these things depreciate year to year, the differences will be moot after 3-4yrs post purchase.
IMHO the 2003-2012 are the same basic design from the outside which is what would bother me more when buying a car. In other words, I'd be upset if I bought a 2012 and then saw the mk iv in 6mos.
But changed to some interior stuff on a car I'm financing? Nehhhhh. Aftermarket is the great equalizer for a lot of stuff.
Just my $0.02

·
Registered
883 Posts
I always thought it was Full Fledged Range Rover... Lol.

Full Fat Range Rover just screams "customized" early model L322 with chrome pseudo charged side vents and grill, chrome door handles, mirror caps, drug dealer tint, large (hideous) wheels, and some garbage sound system butchered into it.

I can smell the leaking coolant and nasty pine tree air fashioners from here...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,759 Posts
If only it really were pine scent. Sadly it's usually Black Ice of Vanillaroma hung or hidden by the 4 pack to hide the wafting 1/2 can of AX body spray. :lol:

·
Registered
883 Posts
If only it really were pine scent. Sadly it's usually Black Ice of Vanillaroma hung or hidden by the 4 pack to hide the wafting 1/2 can of AX body spray. :lol:
Lol. Black ice reminds me of my sister Ford Focus... thing reeks of it.

If you're gonna stink up a car... at least do it with something nice. The P38 and the L322 both smell like Zaino, and Calvin Klein Eternity Aqua. Lol. I have a bad habit of spraying it on in the car.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
976 Posts
1 - 20 of 181 Posts